Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-26-2018, 09:26 PM - 2 Likes   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
$$$$$ony A7iii

Oh yes, they are getting close....some hand me down A7r3 features and AF of A9

Close enough is good enough,$1999

AF adapters make most lens mounts compatible

24mp ...i suppose theres lots of Apsc shooters used to that resolution...oh the sensor has a BS touch...sorry BSI(its international too)

BEST BATTERY life of any mirrorless(without a grip)

Standard video(its only 4K full sensor readout)

9 sigma lenses coming in Native mount

Just dont take it out in the bad weather or anywhere dusty.

---------- Post added 02-27-18 at 03:32 PM ----------

Last edited by surfar; 02-26-2018 at 09:35 PM.
02-27-2018, 08:24 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

I'd never thought I'd say this about an E-mount camera, but that actually looks very tempting. It has a lot of great features for the price. The AF performance looks like it will be incredible too. Sony is really pushing the tech in the E-mount cameras. I'll be keeping an eye on this camera.

However, I won't be buying anything until I see what the K-3II replacement brings. I'll know what to do once that materializes, if it ever does.
02-27-2018, 09:08 AM   #3

Oh Sony, so tempting.

I am new to the DSLR world, received a K-70 (my choice) for Christmas and loving it. BUT DAMN seeing these reviews and specs of these Sony cameras (yes, way different price point) is definitely pushing me towards getting a Sony as my next camera. Hopefully the A7RIII lowers in price a couple of years from now lol.

Biggest downfall for me though is the price of these damn Sony E-Mount lenses, jeezeeeee and yes, I know they have adapters but I heard they don't perform as well, especially when it comes to AF.

COME ON PENTAX you have a few years to pull me back!

Last edited by Ash; 03-09-2018 at 08:35 AM.
02-27-2018, 12:35 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by The Squirrel Mafia Quote
I won't be buying anything until I see what the K-3II replacement brings. I'll know what to do once that materializes, if it ever does.
Yes, i'm waiting to see what happens too,then i'll put my order in to Santa!

QuoteOriginally posted by janelgreo Quote
Biggest downfall for me though is the price of these damn Sony E-Mount lenses, jeezeeeee and yes, I know they have adapters but I heard they don't perform as well, especially when it comes to AF.
Theres plenty of different AF adapters, some may perform better than others???I did see one lady remark that her Canon L lens focussed faster on the adapted Sony than her Canon body.You have a few years till the A73 gets outdated and a lower price,by then there will be plenty of alternative glass(Sigma have announced 9 FE mount lenses recently).

02-27-2018, 01:53 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Sony Es last count of lenses now totals 56,some MF and not all have Sony written on them...names like Zeiss,Voightlander are on a few too.

Last edited by surfar; 02-27-2018 at 02:23 PM.
02-27-2018, 02:39 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Good to know there are AF adapters for using Pentax lens on Sony mount. One day I may have to use them. More electronics in camera helps Sony because they are native to that field. They can bring in technology from other divisions, like Microsoft can use their OS knowledge in X-box. Sony also has potential to absorb loss. Traditional camera makers have steep road if they want to compete with Sony.
02-27-2018, 03:01 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I'd never thought I'd say this about an E-mount camera, but that actually looks very tempting. It has a lot of great features for the price. The AF performance looks like it will be incredible too. Sony is really pushing the tech in the E-mount cameras. I'll be keeping an eye on this camera.

However, I won't be buying anything until I see what the K-3II replacement brings. I'll know what to do once that materializes, if it ever does.
i agree before news or future K3II replacement will be clear i not jump any design
But interesting time all major company make very hot move.
plus as option to Sony A7III with two adapter so many lenses choice with option excluded original expensive Sony lens

02-27-2018, 03:32 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote

Oh yes, they are getting close....some hand me down A7r3 features and AF of A9

Close enough is good enough,$1999

AF adapters make most lens mounts compatible

24mp ...i suppose theres lots of Apsc shooters used to that resolution...oh the sensor has a BS touch...sorry BSI(its international too)

BEST BATTERY life of any mirrorless(without a grip)

Standard video(its only 4K full sensor readout)

9 sigma lenses coming in Native mount

Just dont take it out in the bad weather or anywhere dusty.

On DxOMark tests, Sony is about brand that has done better than Pentax; I wonder how this will compare to K-1ii
02-27-2018, 05:12 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I've been very happy with my plain A7 as my "digital LX" solution. I have no autofocus lenses for it, but use my range of SMC-M legacy Pentax, with great results. I especially like the 20mm f4 on it for size and handling. I also use my Leica R lenses, where the 250 & 400 have been very nice.
I was never tempted by the other Sony A7-9 models until now, but even for manual focus, single-shot the A7III looks like a winner, with the high ISO and silent shooting. The IBIS would be nice with my long lenses too, as I'm not quite as steady as I was 5 decades ago.
02-27-2018, 05:35 PM   #10
mee
Veteran Member

I know what you mean.. I'm hesitant to say much because I haven't looked through the EVF of this camera. However, on paper, they are really coming a long way fast.

Nikon is supposedly (at least that is the rumor ) launching mirrorless body/bodies later this year too.

I think it could be interesting to use manual focus lenses on one with the focus peaking and zoom magnification (on a button push) through the viewfinder.... that with the Sony IBIS could make a convincing package. Too bad the weather sealing is junk.. but if using old lenses then it shouldn't really matter (not going to be out in inclement weather anyways).

A lot of options out there.. and more coming shortly..
02-27-2018, 06:06 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
A lot of options out there.. and more coming shortly..
The FF canon M/L pops up here and there...they just released a great little entry level apsc M50,vloggers delight!

QuoteOriginally posted by TomB_tx Quote
the A7III looks like a winner,
Specwise most $$$$onys do....
QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Too bad the weather sealing is junk..
It seems they have improved ease of use which was a big problem that a lot complained about BUT when(not if) they get WR up to standard,thats when they will take a huge chunk of market share.

Looking at the BIG picture, the next generation(bodies) from all manufacturers could/should be pretty incredible...I hope RI realise this and are still in the game.
02-27-2018, 07:15 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Those thinking of an AF adapter, need to do more research.
I have read varying stories of it (including one where I helped my friend buy the TechArt adapter).
Some are happy with the AF, some find that AF speed varies with the lens used.
Others had reliability problems with the adapters.
Yet others had issues after FW updates.
Things might have become more stable now, but I have not bothered to follow up.
So pls do the research before thinking that this is a fuss free route.

That said, FE mount has a large range of lenses now between MF to AF options.

My A7 (thin filter modified) is my digital ME Super.
I only use it for my manual RF, Pentax and orphan mount lenses.
So the improvements on this A7iii does not interest me since its mainly AF, Video and FPS.

On paper, it does seem a good deal compared to the other 24mp FF cameras like 6Dii and D650, though iirc, they are a little cheaper.
02-27-2018, 09:37 PM   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Yes, i'm waiting to see what happens too,then i'll put my order in to Santa!

Theres plenty of different AF adapters, some may perform better than others???I did see one lady remark that her Canon L lens focussed faster on the adapted Sony than her Canon body.You have a few years till the A73 gets outdated and a lower price,by then there will be plenty of alternative glass(Sigma have announced 9 FE mount lenses recently).
A big no.

Sony Guru Brian Smith - probably no one better - writes: "Sony a7, a7R, a7S, a7II and other existing Sony E-mount mirrorless cameras offer AF-S autofocus speed that’s acceptable at best – but never fast – with the Canon EF Smart Adapters tested in this review. AF speed is well suited for landscapes, architecture and portraits – but when it comes for fast moving action, fuggedaboutit!"

He acknowledges improvements with the later A7RII, for instance, but native lenses are what work best in all camera brands, that's always been the way.

F-stoppers examined the Sony A9 here:

Adapting Sports Lenses to the Sony a9 Gives Mixed Results | Fstoppers
02-27-2018, 10:04 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Yes, lots of opinions out there on every subject...funnily enough,MANY of these reviewers jump on anything new and do a "so called" review...with pre release firmware....their opinions are just that.Practical user experience is what counts, theres cameras and lenses that are sub par when released but improve with firmware updates. WE all take our chances buying anything, a cross section of opinion is the way i decide what i buy.
Most of the reviews of the AF adapters,that ive seen for $$$ony, is with old manual only lenses.Now thats a cheap way of getting into a system imo.(considering i own some highly regarded old lenses)
When i bought a K-1 i used DA and film era glass to see how i liked FF,it took almost a year to buy the first of my 2 DFAs....If it comes to me buying into $$$$ony i'll go the adapter way.Theres been 5 versions of firmware for TechArt Pro(it works for Fotodiox too)...its a different adapter to when it was released.I wonder IF these reviewers update their reviews with every firmware update????
It was quite recently i saw the comment about the Canon L lens focusing faster with the TechArt Pro than natively on Canon body(no idea which body of Canons).

---------- Post added 02-28-18 at 04:07 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Sony Guru Brian Smith
I knew you were a closet $$$ony fanboy!...ha ha
02-27-2018, 10:14 PM   #15
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

I knew you were a closet $$$ony fanboy!...ha ha
I'm certainly an owner, Surfar - I have three Sony E mount cameras!

I chose a NEX 7 instead of a K-3, and an A7 instead of wait for the K-1.

I regret that last decision, for sure.

I do have a Fotodiox clone Canon adapter for it. Mediocre focus but it did even with native lenses. I have an EF mount Tamron 28-75 f2.8, Yongnuo 100mm f2.8 and genuine Canon 50mm f1.8. (newer model) to go with it.