Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 28 Likes Search this Thread
03-02-2018, 05:53 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This new A7III looks interesting. Very tempting.
24MP is very good. I certainly am not interested in large files.

03-02-2018, 09:31 AM   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Culture Quote
This new A7III looks interesting. Very tempting. 24MP is very good.
Indeed, I've taken a look. It's got a larger grip, and 610/700 shots battery life, and sensor stabilization and 4K video, and if I'm not wrong it is price 2K, not to mention access to lenses. Basically it's getting into an attractive zone for a DSLR use, and for the same price it's a lead ahead of Pentax.
03-02-2018, 05:34 PM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Indeed, I've taken a look. It's got a larger grip, and 610/700 shots battery life, and sensor stabilization and 4K video, and if I'm not wrong it is price 2K, not to mention access to lenses. Basically it's getting into an attractive zone for a DSLR use, and for the same price it's a lead ahead of Pentax.
for what its worth, just a few hundred dollars more, you could get a used A7RII.
and the A7II's price has dropped significantly. now its almost pocket change.

i guess thats one good and bad thing about sony. due to how fast they churn up new gear, their older gear lose value really fast
03-02-2018, 06:15 PM   #34
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hadi Quote
a used A7RII.
and the A7II's price has dropped significantly
Yes, with the old battery system...old AF...old this and that
New tech surpasses that old hat stuff...that were very capable mind you,however A7iii...ticks lots of boxes,its gone to number 1 seller on B&H.So a few people are interested.
I'll wait and see the reviews and glitches.

03-02-2018, 07:37 PM   #35
mee
Veteran Member

for what its worth, just a few hundred dollars more, you could get a used A7RII.
and the A7II's price has dropped significantly. now its almost pocket change.

i guess thats one good and bad thing about sony. due to how fast they churn up new gear, their older gear lose value really fast

Yes it does seem, with each generation, better to wait for Sony to release another gen and buy a generation behind.. that seems to be one aspect to 'quick' product releases if you're cheap like me.

None of these yet really seem to do it for me.. but if I was a Canon shooter it might.. with something like an MC-11 you could upgrade without a lot of hassle. Or at least buy a mirrorless body on the side to use with your Canon lenses. Even if the adapters aren't exactly robust...

It seems mirrorless brands (Sony, Fuji.. ) are now trying to woo DSLR users over with more DSLR-like bodies. Or well.. maybe mirrorless bodies that have characteristics desired by those desiring to use a DSLR. namely a big handgrip and a top led screen(in the case of the X-H1).

I'm waiting (not really to buy just to see) for an SLT sized Sony full mirrorless at the same price points (or less)...
03-02-2018, 07:59 PM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Yes it does seem, with each generation, better to wait for Sony to release another gen and buy a generation behind.. that seems to be one aspect to 'quick' product releases if you're cheap like me.

None of these yet really seem to do it for me.. but if I was a Canon shooter it might.. with something like an MC-11 you could upgrade without a lot of hassle. Or at least buy a mirrorless body on the side to use with your Canon lenses. Even if the adapters aren't exactly robust...

It seems mirrorless brands (Sony, Fuji.. ) are now trying to woo DSLR users over with more DSLR-like bodies. Or well.. maybe mirrorless bodies that have characteristics desired by those desiring to use a DSLR. namely a big handgrip and a top led screen(in the case of the X-H1).

I'm waiting (not really to buy just to see) for an SLT sized Sony full mirrorless at the same price points (or less)...
considering how big a difference i felt when i first moved from APSC to full frame, i wonder if i should wait a BIT longer and upgrade to a sony/fuji/hassleblad medium format as the pentax k1 has me covered with full frame.
the pentax medium format maybe an option, though pentax hasn't done anything with that system in years, so not sure if pentax is debating on ditching medium format
03-02-2018, 08:12 PM   #37
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
I look at BH for FE full frame lenses in the telephoto range... longest I see natively is a 100-400 f/4.5-5.6 that has a tripod collar on it... because its big.. and heavy.

Is it physically possible to reduce the size of lenses for mirrorless platforms or are we at the limits of physics?

I still see size as a valuable asset to APS-C sensored systems. A 55-300 reaches nicely on crop.. and can be made compact if not too fast. Favorable for walkaround shooting or long hikes.

I took delivery of a Tamron 100-400 today and while it is about a pound lighter than my Sigma 120-400 and a little narrower in diameter it is slightly longer and still fairly weighty (2 and a half pounds) even though it is the lightest of the 100ish-400 f/slow lenses. That is where I see crop having a nice asset.. but would be interesting if they could reduce it further for mirrorless somehow.
For long focal length lenses, physics is quite cruel. The size of the front element will alway be very large. In theory, smallest possible size for the front element is the focal length divided by the aperture (e.g., 400 f/5.6 is 400/5.6 = 71 mm). In practice, the front element will need to be a bit bigger than this to prevent vignetting in the corners.

The simplest long focal length lens are very long -- being the length of the focal length. That's totally independent of registration distance.

The actual term "telephoto" refers to a particular innovation in the design of long focal length lens that made them shorter than the labelled focal length. To get a short 400 f/5.6, you start with a 200 f2.8 (which also needs a 200/2.8 = 71 mm front element) and design a 2X teleconvertor on the back. That's the easiest way to describe it but, of course, the actual design is more complicated and more optimized. The result is a 400 mm lens built into maybe a 250 mm body length (including registration distance) and although the barrel is 150 mm shorter (and lighter), the front elements actually increase in weight (needing stronger-curved glass to more strongly refract the light to a 200 mm front) plus there's the teleconverter glass in the back.

Here, mirrorless might be able to help a bit by enabling a more compact design (say a 135 f/1.8 front with a 3X back). Such a lens would be shorter although it might not be much lighter because it needs even heavier glass elements.

03-02-2018, 10:32 PM   #38
Veteran Member

As a wedding phographer, I have been thinking about getting a K-1 or K-1 II because of high ISO. But I really dont want the big files.
Eye AF is really nice. I will also wait to see the real reviews. I dont know how expensive it will be to keep two systems.
The A7III with a the new Tamron 28-75 will be good a good combo.

I am starting to have nightmares about this.
03-02-2018, 10:52 PM   #39
Pentaxian

considering how big a difference i felt when i first moved from APSC to full frame, i wonder if i should wait a BIT longer and upgrade to a sony/fuji/hassleblad medium format as the pentax k1 has me covered with full frame. the pentax medium format maybe an option, though pentax hasn't done anything with that system in years, so not sure if pentax is debating on ditching medium format
Well that's an excellent point. When spending the money to get a larger sensor, the jump in image quality is going to be more significant than upgrading one generation of full frame. Upgrading from apsc to apsc wasn't as expensive as upgrading from full frame to full frame. When I look at the K1 II, I see the upgrade as being very expensive, and with Sony it's almost the same. It is more cost effective to wait two or three generation before upgrading. If I was upgrading now, I'd rather upgrade to medium format, but not sure if I'd go the Pentax route since Pentax doesn't seem active on the 645, I'd go the Fuji GFX50 route but AF isn't great so maybe wait and see what Fuji are doing with MF.
03-02-2018, 11:35 PM   #40
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I'd go the Fuji GFX50 route but AF isn't great so maybe wait and see what Fuji are doing with MF.
GFR 50 sometime this year according to the reasonably accurate Fuji Rumour site...a rangefinder style bigger than Xpro2,unknown if it will have the Hybrid viewfinder.Also rumoured to be U$4000ish...i'll believe it when i see it.Then in 2019, GFX100....6 native mount lenses now but CaNik FF adapters are a plenty.more lenses this year and next.
03-03-2018, 07:04 AM   #41
Pentaxian

"For its price"?? There aren't any Pentax cameras at a higher price. On what basis do you put this untested camera ahead of the K-1?
03-03-2018, 02:13 PM   #42
Veteran Member

---------- Post added 03-03-18 at 03:24 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
GFR 50 sometime this year according to the reasonably accurate Fuji Rumour site...a rangefinder style bigger than Xpro2,unknown if it will have the Hybrid viewfinder.Also rumoured to be U$4000ish...i'll believe it when i see it.Then in 2019, GFX100....6 native mount lenses now but CaNik FF adapters are a plenty.more lenses this year and next.
The problem is that the 50MP sensor is just too slow for mirrorless. Until we see the GFX100 with the BSI sensor Fuji will have limited appeal. The image quality and lenses are awesome, but the over all speed and AF is too slow for a lot of work. Technology will solve those issues and eventually it will be an excellent system.
03-03-2018, 08:12 PM   #43
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Some people have mentioned a E-mount adapter, that allows for AF on K-mount adapted lenses... does anyone have a link to/for this??? I have been searching for what options might be out there.
03-03-2018, 08:40 PM   #44
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Just look at TechArt Pro....and Fotodiox....the adapters are the same,work with the same firmware.

They both natively work with Leica lenses but you just use a Leica to K mount as well.

Plenty of Youtube, both say not to use lenses heavier than 700g but theres a YT showing a Nikon 400mm f2.8 on a monopod,its 2.8kgs.

---------- Post added 03-04-18 at 02:40 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by landofcourtness Quote
does anyone have a link to/for this??
03-03-2018, 09:37 PM - 3 Likes   #45
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
I've not shot surfing before, Surfar!
Hows this one Claka?....Shipsterns Bluff,Van Diemens Land!
Attached Images