Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-09-2018, 08:56 AM   #91
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
The eye AF on the A7II is not bad. It only works in single shot mode, so it wont track like the A7rII/III or the A9, but it is pretty quick and very accurate. The eye AF work amazingly well on the A9 even in C-AF.
that shouldn't be a problem, as i hardly ever use continuous focus on pentax. usually i focus, recompose, shoot, and keep repeating that.
so a leg up on that with no need to recompose after focusing should work well with the A7II i suppose

alternatively speaking, a used A7RII is not that much more than a new A7II. but perhaps the A7RII is too much of a camera for my needs, as the Pentax K1 seems to work beautifully for almost everything i do.

btw, going back to my previous question, what is the difference between the already existing Sigma 135mm vs the NEW sigma 135 released for the sony camera? is it just the MC11 adapter vs no adapter?

03-09-2018, 12:04 PM   #92
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The eye AF on the A7II is not bad. It only works in single shot mode, so it wont track like the A7rII/III or the A9, but it is pretty quick and very accurate. The eye AF work amazingly well on the A9 even in C-AF.
Thanks for this information. I need to check how it works on the A6500. I need Eye AF in AF-C.

Edit:
Eye AF AF-C confirmed.

Last edited by Culture; 03-09-2018 at 12:32 PM.
03-09-2018, 12:54 PM   #93
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I wonder if the a7 III has improved pixel shift technology?
03-09-2018, 01:32 PM   #94
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
I wonder if the a7 III has improved pixel shift technology?
Its not an included feature at this stage,might come in a firmware update.

---------- Post added 03-10-18 at 07:48 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Doundounba Quote
That being said, the relentless mirrorless cheerleading by surfar does tend to get a little old and I can see how it would draw some ire occasionally, IMHO...
You dont have to read the threads i start if you are not interested , and you can ignore my posts if you like.This IS the non Pentax section.
So theres a choice of talking about CaNik Dslrs which make quite slow progress IMHO.

Or the otherchoice is Mirrorless, the sector of the ILC thats breaking new ground IMHO.

I take MY time to share MY knowledge of M/L..i own a dozen(some with the Pentax name on them that Ricoh have abandoned,contary to the answers they give at the trade shows).

I like and use my Pentax gear,the same as the other brand names which offer features that Pentax cant or wont.I consider all brands for their merit because all have their shortcomings,my tool shed contains many brands too.

03-09-2018, 08:00 PM   #95
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hadi Quote
that shouldn't be a problem, as i hardly ever use continuous focus on pentax. usually i focus, recompose, shoot, and keep repeating that.
so a leg up on that with no need to recompose after focusing should work well with the A7II i suppose

alternatively speaking, a used A7RII is not that much more than a new A7II. but perhaps the A7RII is too much of a camera for my needs, as the Pentax K1 seems to work beautifully for almost everything i do.

btw, going back to my previous question, what is the difference between the already existing Sigma 135mm vs the NEW sigma 135 released for the sony camera? is it just the MC11 adapter vs no adapter?
The software in the new lenses is completely new. They are not using the same software as the adapter.

You should really look at the Zeiss Batis line of lenses. The 135mm APO is an optically excellent lens that is the perfect size for the A7II body. Batis 135, is it a keeper? - FM Forums If you read through the Fred Miranda link you will see some Sigma 135mm to Batis 135mm comparisons.
Review: Zeiss 135mm f2.8 Batis (Sony E Mount, Full Frame)

The APO element means that there is very little chromatic aberration and it has excellent color and contrast. Autofocus is very fast. The Sigma 135mm is an excellent lens, but its only advantage is that it is F/1.8. The Batis 135mm is sharper, better color, better contrast (but not as much as the Batis 85mm), faster AF, smaller, lighter, OIS, weather sealed, and less CA. The Sigma is F/1.8, but is slower to focus, has a slight warm cast (which some people like), and weighs 2x as much as the Batis. The Sigma is still very sharp and has the F/1.8 bokeh.

The Batis is currently on sale for $1,500. I use to live and die by fast glass back in the film days, but with clean ISO 6400 in modern cameras I don't see as much need for it. I will probably buy the Sigma 105mm F/1.4 as my fast glass portrait lens, but use the Batis 85mm & 135mm APO most of the time. You need to use an APO lens to really appreciate the value and what it does.

Last edited by Winder; 03-09-2018 at 08:09 PM.
03-09-2018, 09:31 PM   #96
Pentaxian

The software in the new lenses is completely new. They are not using the same software as the adapter.

You should really look at the Zeiss Batis line of lenses. The 135mm APO is an optically excellent lens that is the perfect size for the A7II body. Batis 135, is it a keeper? - FM Forums If you read through the Fred Miranda link you will see some Sigma 135mm to Batis 135mm comparisons.
Review: Zeiss 135mm f2.8 Batis (Sony E Mount, Full Frame)

The APO element means that there is very little chromatic aberration and it has excellent color and contrast. Autofocus is very fast. The Sigma 135mm is an excellent lens, but its only advantage is that it is F/1.8. The Batis 135mm is sharper, better color, better contrast (but not as much as the Batis 85mm), faster AF, smaller, lighter, OIS, weather sealed, and less CA. The Sigma is F/1.8, but is slower to focus, has a slight warm cast (which some people like), and weighs 2x as much as the Batis. The Sigma is still very sharp and has the F/1.8 bokeh.

The Batis is currently on sale for $1,500. I use to live and die by fast glass back in the film days, but with clean ISO 6400 in modern cameras I don't see as much need for it. I will probably buy the Sigma 105mm F/1.4 as my fast glass portrait lens, but use the Batis 85mm & 135mm APO most of the time. You need to use an APO lens to really appreciate the value and what it does.
Winder I have question to you You said The software in the new lenses is completely new. They are not using the same software as the adapter.

I spoke with Sigma today about some my Pentax mount Sigma lenses and ask questions about adapter MC 11 and Art lenses from Sigma to E- mount . They told me art lenses and new MC 11 absolutely full functional lenses same as Sony original lenses
So what do you think is this true or commercial BS
03-10-2018, 07:27 AM   #97
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dstar Quote
Winder I have question to you You said The software in the new lenses is completely new. They are not using the same software as the adapter.

I spoke with Sigma today about some my Pentax mount Sigma lenses and ask questions about adapter MC 11 and Art lenses from Sigma to E- mount . They told me art lenses and new MC 11 absolutely full functional lenses same as Sony original lenses
So what do you think is this true or commercial BS
If you have a lens that is designed to work with canon and you put it on a Sony camera, you need an adapter that can allow the two to communicate. If you put a lens that is designed for Sony on a Sony camera, obviously you don't need the added software/firmware that controls communication. Sigma has said the software in the new native lenses is all new. I'm sure some of that is in the MC-11 firmware.

You are saying the MC-11 adapter provides full functionality, and that is probably true, but that doesn't mean it has the same software. I would expect the native lenses to be slightly faster than adapted lenses. That is pretty much always true.

03-10-2018, 07:38 AM   #98
Pentaxian

Original Poster
You are saying the MC-11 adapter provides full functionality, and that is probably true, but that doesn't mean it has the same software. I would expect the native lenses to be slightly faster than adapted lenses. That is pretty much always true.
Ive read of an instance where the Techart adapter provider faster AF for a Canon lens on a Sony body than the lens provided on a Canon.Now i dont know which Canon body or which Sony body,maybe an older Canon and a more recent Sony i would guess.....Having the luxury of native mount and AF adapters is an absolute bonus so you can pick and choose from a vast array of glass.
03-18-2018, 07:35 AM   #99
Veteran Member

03-19-2018, 08:55 PM   #100
mee
Veteran Member

Seems somewhat like an advertisement to me.. but it was still interesting to watch... and they did point out some drawbacks they found.

But more so.. I want to get invited to these Sony camera releases! Helicopter flights.. drive a dunebuggy.. trying out new gear... sure I'll tell the world how wonderful is your camera. Then get to post the footage on youtube and make ad revenue.

I suspect more interesting cameras are released in 2019 and early 2020 before the Tokyo Summer Olympics. It will be a time for these Japanese manufacturers to show off their companies at home through their products on a large, global stage...

By then we might have an A7 IV.. and CaNikon might have played along too with something competitive.
03-20-2018, 06:19 AM   #101
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Seems somewhat like an advertisement to me.. but it was still interesting to watch... and they did point out some drawbacks they found.

But more so.. I want to get invited to these Sony camera releases! Helicopter flights.. drive a dunebuggy.. trying out new gear... sure I'll tell the world how wonderful is your camera. Then get to post the footage on youtube and make ad revenue.

I suspect more interesting cameras are released in 2019 and early 2020 before the Tokyo Summer Olympics. It will be a time for these Japanese manufacturers to show off their companies at home through their products on a large, global stage...

By then we might have an A7 IV.. and CaNikon might have played along too with something competitive.
I think we will have an A9 replacement in 2019. The A9 is a really good camera, but Sony needs to work on a few things before the Olympics. A 1DX and D5 replacement should also be hitting the shelves.

I generally find the Camera Store to be pretty honest in their reviews. Reviewers tend to only review the products they like and ignore the products they don't. This makes it seem like the love all the products they review.
03-21-2018, 06:07 PM   #102
mee
Veteran Member

I think we will have an A9 replacement in 2019. The A9 is a really good camera, but Sony needs to work on a few things before the Olympics. A 1DX and D5 replacement should also be hitting the shelves.

I generally find the Camera Store to be pretty honest in their reviews. Reviewers tend to only review the products they like and ignore the products they don't. This makes it seem like the love all the products they review.

I agree they will all want top tier sports bodies and lenses in use at the Olympics, so latest and greatest should be front and center.

There is so much Sony-centric comments in that video that it feels like a Sony ad to me.. it would have not felt that way too much if they had introduced or compared other brands with the Sonys. Either way.. they got a cool trip out of it.

Last edited by mee; 03-21-2018 at 06:33 PM.
03-21-2018, 10:23 PM   #103

Mee. If you don't like that video or think it's more like an ad, try this one.

03-21-2018, 11:05 PM   #104
Veteran Member

On the a7iii, can the UHS I slot use a UHS II card and run it at UHS I speed? (Obviously it won't run at UHS II speed because it's a UHS I)
03-22-2018, 01:58 AM   #105
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LeDave Quote
On the a7iii, can the UHS I slot use a UHS II card and run it at UHS I speed? (Obviously it won't run at UHS II speed because it's a UHS I)
Good Q, definitely the slots that are there work with the corresponding cards..its strange to have 2 different ones though?From memory the A9 and A7r3 have the 2+1 thingo too. Panasonic and Fuji have UHS2 for both of their slots.