Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 25 Likes Search this Thread
02-27-2018, 09:15 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Sony A7III with sensor stripe issues?

Watch the lilac light over the blonde lady's head:
https://4.img-dpreview.com/files/p/TS6000x4000~sample_galleries/6769434587/5691386597.jpg
bad horizontal stripes

Watch the lady's right eye (in 100% view):
https://4.img-dpreview.com/files/p/TS4000x6000~sample_galleries/6769434587/1483060898.jpg
bad vertical stripes

Those are ruined shots.

Seem the same sensor issue which the A77II and A6000 had: SonyUserforum - Seltener und seltsamer Bildfehler des Sensors bei Gegenlichtaufnahmen?!

02-27-2018, 10:33 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Bizarre! I wonder if this is an artifact linked to the on-sensor PDAF?
02-27-2018, 11:11 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks OP for sharing... hmmm, wonder if the sensor in Sony A7III share the same with k-1? Also, I am wondering if it is sensor issue or not.
02-27-2018, 11:50 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've never seen anything like that before. Definitely a problem there.

Last edited by MarkJerling; 02-27-2018 at 06:33 PM. Reason: Masked profanity removed.
02-27-2018, 12:06 PM   #5
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Yuck. That's nasty... I wonder if it's been confirmed with multiple cameras, or if it's a problem with just that copy. My concern with something like this is that it's potentially dealt with later through a firmware update on image processing to mask (rather than solve) the problem.

I've never noticed it on my Hasselblad HV, or on my A7 MkII... but then I've never looked for it. Perhaps ignorance is bliss
02-27-2018, 12:47 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
a firmware update
The release firmware is usually tweaked to a reasonable level...the testing firmware is under scruitiny always.

Cant be much of a problem if youve not noticed it on the bodies youve been using for years?..START looking! ha ha
02-27-2018, 12:57 PM   #7
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
Cant be much of a problem if youve not noticed it on the bodies youve been using for years?
You'd think not... And yet, after you've noticed something for the first time (which can take months or more) you start seeing it with alarming regularity after that - precisely because you are looking for it, and know roughly where it might show up.

The first time I noticed lossy compression artefacts on very high contrast edges on my HV and A7II, I looked back through a whole bunch of photos and started to find it in those too. The thing is, we don't (or I don't) typically pore over every bit of every photo at 1:1 reproduction... until we find something like that, and then we most certainly do. Then we start to find the problem with greater regularity.

For my A7II it's not such a problem, as recent firmware means it can optionally save .ARW raw files as uncompressed (though that means huge files - lossless compressed would have been so much better ). But the HV / A99 has no option for that...

Did you know that Sony's "Image Data Converter" raw processing software actually has a control for noise reduction and softening of edges??

I hope this weird striping artefact doesn't require something like that. But we don't know anything for certain yet, so we'll wait and see...

Last edited by BigMackCam; 02-27-2018 at 01:30 PM.
02-27-2018, 01:48 PM   #8
Pentaxian

we'll wait and see...
Yes, but whats exciting(to me anyway) is the recent new release choice that UPs the capability of the different branded bodies,theres 56 FE mount lenses now!Obviously some manual focus, but plenty of choice from 3rd parties.The U$2000 body category is getting congested and photographers/videographers(well not Pentaxians) are being spoilt!
03-01-2018, 02:26 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Wow! They really need to check what's being put up...

Reminds me of my prints if the nozzle is clogged.

While I am sure it will be fixed, it will still leave that uncomfortable feel of whether it will be "masked off" in the imaging processor or really fixed.

Not related observation...
Isn't the new lenses the best ever and sharp as razor edge to edge even from wide open?
They don't seem so from the 2 samples.
03-01-2018, 05:23 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
While I am sure it will be fixed,.
Sony doesnt seem to care a bit about the damaged photos.

The issue exists as early as A6000 and does include the A9 as well:
Re: Sample gallery is up and A7ii may have some issues: Sony Alpha Full Frame E-mount Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
and
Sony A6000 Grid-Lines Showing Up in Sunflare. Normal!?: Sony Alpha / Nex E-mount (APS-C) Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

They had years to fix it and did: nothing.
03-03-2018, 04:11 PM - 1 Like   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
Sony doesnt seem to care a bit about the damaged photos.

The issue exists as early as A6000 and does include the A9 as well:
Re: Sample gallery is up and A7ii may have some issues: Sony Alpha Full Frame E-mount Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
and
Sony A6000 Grid-Lines Showing Up in Sunflare. Normal!?: Sony Alpha / Nex E-mount (APS-C) Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

They had years to fix it and did: nothing.
The only way to prevent it is to take PDAF off of the sensor. The more PDAF sensors you put on the sensor the worse the problem. Until CDAF improves to the point of PDAF (if ever) the problem will persist. The reflections only occur with strong back lighting, so 90% of the time its not a problem.
03-05-2018, 03:25 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Original Poster
More analysis of the sensor problem:
a7III backlight stripes have preferential raw planes: Sony Alpha Full Frame E-mount Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

And more discussion:
https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/60844010
03-05-2018, 03:45 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
The only way to prevent it is to take PDAF off of the sensor. The more PDAF sensors you put on the sensor the worse the problem. Until CDAF improves to the point of PDAF (if ever) the problem will persist. The reflections only occur with strong back lighting, so 90% of the time its not a problem.
Is that what's causing these lines? Because I had been told that having PDAF points on the sensor had no down side and they didn't show up in the finished image. At the same time, in the images shown in the first post, I wouldn't have said that was "strong back lighting," just typical lighting for a portrait shot.
03-05-2018, 04:12 AM - 2 Likes   #14
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Is that what's causing these lines? Because I had been told that having PDAF points on the sensor had no down side and they didn't show up in the finished image. At the same time, in the images shown in the first post, I wouldn't have said that was "strong back lighting," just typical lighting for a portrait shot.
According to DPR's comments in their sample gallery:

"In a couple of the photos you may notice striping, a problem we've found common to all cameras with masked phase detect AF pixels when shot a certain way: with very fast lenses wide open pointed directly at bright light sources to purposefully induce flare (e.g. here and here). In continued shooting today in the same venue and lighting, we noticed no issues shooting more modest apertures and zoom lenses."

I guess if you know the potential for it is there, you shoot with that in mind - in the same way that we know the limitations of certain lenses and use them to their strengths. It seems like it's the cost for having sensor-based PDAF, and in that sense the individual has to weigh up the pros and cons...

Pretty annoying if you see it regularly in your photos, though

Last edited by BigMackCam; 03-05-2018 at 04:19 AM.
03-05-2018, 07:50 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Pretty annoying if you see it regularly in your photos, though
From shooting styles I guess most landscape people wouldnt mind (but then they are not the target audience for a 24 MPx FF anyways).

Wedding and people/portrait photographers might regularly encounter (or even want) backlit scenes. That then is not the camera/sensor for them (unless then can get away with web size images).