Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-09-2018, 09:20 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Lord Lucan Quote
Crikey LesDMess, do you own all those cameras (and the many more you have shown in previous posts) ? They all look in mint condition too The Canon new F1 dwarfs its rivals Nikon F3 and LX
I do as part of my immersion into these marvelous photographic devices. Sometimes the brochures, manuals or reviews just wasn't enough.

BTW, the Canon New F-1 has a split image focusing screen that doesn't blackout regardless of how slow the lens is. It is pretty cool for some applications.

03-15-2018, 08:51 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The F-1, even the “new” 80’s version, was not intended to be Canon’s technology leader. That was the AE-1, which has an electronic shutter release and program automation. (It was among the first to have what we now call P as part of PASM.) Later, the top technology camera Canon made for the FD mount was the T90, which had deep automation for the day.

The F-1 was Canon’s pro system camera, designed for high duty cycle, independence from batteries, and compatibility with a range of professional accessories (250-shot magazines, high eye-level sport finders, intervalometer control, and so on). It was their top mechanical camera, not their technology camera.

By the way, all FD lenses were twist-and-lock by the time the F-1 New came out. The breech-lock versions (which I loved) were redesigned about the time the AE-1 came out.

Rick “who has an early F-1 and also a T90” Denney
03-16-2018, 06:50 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My first 35mm SLR was a used Canon AE-1.
Later an upgrade to the hexaphotocybernetic wonder Canon A-1 soured me on Canon; I sold them and went Nikon.
Had I instead upgraded to any of the F-1 models I might well have stayed with Canon.

Chris
03-16-2018, 12:36 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rdenney Quote
The F-1, even the “new” 80’s version, was not intended to be Canon’s technology leader. That was the AE-1, which has an electronic shutter release and program automation. .... The F-1 was Canon’s pro system camera
The pro market is always more conservative than the amateur market, in any field.

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt;423127... an upgrade to the [I:
hexaphotocybernetic[/I] wonder Canon A-1 soured me on Canon
What was wrong with the Canon A1? I thought it was meant to be the Bee's Knees at the time, with all the modes including a program - I believe the A1 was the first SLR ever to have this mode. Of course it started an arms race for "How many program modes has your camera got?" in which it was soon left behind, although I have never once taken a photo in a program mode.

03-16-2018, 04:38 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The pro market is always more conservative than the amateur market, in any field.

Just so.

QuoteQuote:
What was wrong with the Canon A1? I thought it was meant to be the Bee's Knees at the time, with all the modes including a program - I believe the A1 was the first SLR ever to have this mode. Of course it started an arms race for "How many program modes has your camera got?" in which it was soon left behind, although I have never once taken a photo in a program mode.

I never handled an A-1, but I owned a T90 (introduced 8 years after the A-1) that was the endpoint of automation development before the EF-mount and autofocus. The interface of that camera and the first EOS-1 and EOS Elan enjoyed much in common. It wasn’t until the Elan IIe that I felt willing to (cheaply) experiment with autofocus.

I have used program mode, once I reviewed Canon’s rules for how it would select aperture and shutter speed. I largely agreed with it, and only rarely felt the need to override it. If I had a specific depth-of-field requirement, or a specific shutter-speed need, I would know that first, of course.

The A-1 was indeed the first with P, but the AE-1 Program was the first to make it universally popular.

Rick “who was more focused on medium and large format for recreational photography when AF came out” Denney
03-16-2018, 06:50 PM   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
What was wrong with the Canon A1? I thought it was meant to be the Bee's Knees at the time, with all the modes including a program - I believe the A1 was the first SLR ever to have this mode.
QuoteOriginally posted by rdenney Quote
The A-1 was indeed the first with P, but the AE-1 Program was the first to make it universally popular.
The A-1 did not have Program mode, but it was Canon's first SLR with both Aperture and Shutter AE. The Canon AE-1 Program was Canon's first camera with Program AE mode. The Minolta XD/XD-7/XD-11 - released a year ahead of the A-1, was the first SLR with Aperture and Shutter AE and full manual. It also had a Program mode that Minolta called Automatic Shutter-speed Compensation system (ASC). The Minolta X-700 released the same year as the AE-1 Program had Program and Aperture AE as well as full manual.
03-21-2018, 06:35 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What was wrong with the Canon A1?.

"Help, I think my camera just swallowed my pocket calculator!"

Chris