Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-16-2018, 09:25 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Compact cameras - need recommendations.

I'm thinking of getting a small, flat, very pocket-able compact camera for an upcoming trip. This camera would be a compliment to my u4/3 kit. Can you help me pick one?

Deal makers and breakers ... it must :

* Have support for RAW files
* Record to SD cards
* Have Av, Sv, and M modes
* Have at least a 3x zoom
* Have a sharp lens

Nice to have :

* A fast lens, especially at the tele end
* EVF
* Hot shoe
* 1/1.7" sensor for increased dynamic range, lower noise, etc
* Greater than 10MP resolution

My budget is around $200. This limits me to used cameras which is totally OK. In fact, I'm kind of surprised how pricey these cameras are. Has anyone seen the prices for a used MX-1?!

The camera will primarily be used outdoors, especially when I want to hand someone a camera to take a picture of me and my wife together. There's no way I'm handing over my Olympus M10 to a stranger so they can run away with it. So, no need for a low light monster. Also, a small compact camera is a great way to snap photos without attracting a lot of attention. I'll have "tourist" written all over me and I think that gives photographers a lot of latitude.

What can the forum recommend? I've poked around a bit on my own but I want to color this thread with my own findings. Let me know!

Thanks!

03-16-2018, 09:28 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Maybe a used RX100 mark 1? Should come close to your price range and it would deliver excellent image quality.

IMO anything with a 1/2.3 sensor is pretty much rendered obsolete by phones these days, so that would also be an alternative.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-16-2018, 09:50 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Sony NEX-3. I note a number available on Ebay with 18-55 kit lens around or below $200. 14.2MP, built in flash, asp-c sensor. Can use any of Sony'a e mount lens. Sigma makes three well regarded AF lens for emount, 19, 30, and 60mm. With a cheap adaptor you could also use your existing m43 lenses or Pentax, Minolta, Olympus, Konica, m42, etc. lenses.. Camera is compact and easily concealed. Love mine.

https://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/NEX3/NEX3A.HTM
03-16-2018, 10:27 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sony RX100. I really hate the interface, but it takes nice pictures and goes in my pocket. I have the III, my wife has the II. Used they should not be too far off your budget.

03-16-2018, 12:19 PM   #5
Unregistered User

I have a Samsung TL-500 (EX-1) that is still going strong with a great fast zoom, but its only 10mp.
I still use it on occasion, just for the reasons you stated, but its probably hard to find one.
03-16-2018, 12:55 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ok, how about an Olympus Stylus 1s. It is a bit chunky but fits in my pocket. As for the spec
12.8 megapixel
1/1.7” sensor
30x optical zoom (24-300mm equivalent)
F2.8 throughout zoom range
Raw & jpeg
SD card
Full mode selection
WiFi
Excellent interface
Tremendous build quality
Decent battery life
Excellent IQ for size of sensor
Tremendous viewfinder

The picture quality is superb and using it is a delight. Mine cost me £200 from a shop and is pristine. Well worth considering
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
STYLUS1,1s  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
STYLUS1,1s  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
STYLUS1,1s  Photo 

Last edited by Cerebum; 03-16-2018 at 01:14 PM.
03-16-2018, 07:22 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Maybe a used RX100 mark 1? Should come close to your price range and it would deliver excellent image quality.

IMO anything with a 1/2.3 sensor is pretty much rendered obsolete by phones these days, so that would also be an alternative.
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Sony RX100. I really hate the interface, but it takes nice pictures and goes in my pocket. I have the III, my wife has the II. Used they should not be too far off your budget.
@jatrax and @Adam : I love the idea of a RX100 but I am always concerned about the robustness and reliability of the camera. The units for sale on eBay tend to have significant wear on the body scratches on the screen. I've taken my Q7 kit with 5 lenses half way around the world multiple times and everything looks brand new in comparison. I have the same complaint about my Sony A7 II. It's like the bodies are designed to wear out on purpose so you buy another one. Still, the IQ is excellent.

QuoteOriginally posted by jlstrawman Quote
Sony NEX-3. I note a number available on Ebay with 18-55 kit lens around or below $200. 14.2MP, built in flash, asp-c sensor. Can use any of Sony'a e mount lens. Sigma makes three well regarded AF lens for emount, 19, 30, and 60mm. With a cheap adaptor you could also use your existing m43 lenses or Pentax, Minolta, Olympus, Konica, m42, etc. lenses.. Camera is compact and easily concealed. Love mine.

Sony NEX-3 Review
I thought about a small ILC with a virtually permanent lens but then I'm right back to my Olympus M10. Small body with a mushroom lens. Finding a bright lens becomes harder with larger sensor cameras.

QuoteOriginally posted by Cipher Quote
I have a Samsung TL-500 (EX-1) that is still going strong with a great fast zoom, but its only 10mp.
I still use it on occasion, just for the reasons you stated, but its probably hard to find one.
The cheapest unit I could find is on eBay, for $250 OBO ... and Capture One doesn't support it.

QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
Ok, how about an Olympus Stylus 1s. It is a bit chunky but fits in my pocket. As for the spec
12.8 megapixel
1/1.7” sensor
30x optical zoom (24-300mm equivalent)
F2.8 throughout zoom range
Raw & jpeg
SD card
Full mode selection
WiFi
Excellent interface
Tremendous build quality
Decent battery life
Excellent IQ for size of sensor
Tremendous viewfinder

The picture quality is superb and using it is a delight. Mine cost me £200 from a shop and is pristine. Well worth considering
Googled the Stylus 1S and it looks wonderful! It's a little chunky but not too bad. The cheapest unit I found on eBay is $417.02 and it is located in the UK.

03-16-2018, 10:15 PM   #8
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
I love the idea of a RX100 but I am always concerned about the robustness and reliability of the camera. The units for sale on eBay tend to have significant wear on the body scratches on the screen. I've taken my Q7 kit with 5 lenses half way around the world multiple times and everything looks brand new in comparison. I have the same complaint about my Sony A7 II. It's like the bodies are designed to wear out on purpose so you buy another one. Still, the IQ is excellent.
It is made of metal, but I can see how the small form factor and pocketability would encourage wear and tear over time.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-17-2018, 12:43 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

@jatrax and @Adam : I love the idea of a RX100 but I am always concerned about the robustness and reliability of the camera. The units for sale on eBay tend to have significant wear on the body scratches on the screen. I've taken my Q7 kit with 5 lenses half way around the world multiple times and everything looks brand new in comparison. I have the same complaint about my Sony A7 II. It's like the bodies are designed to wear out on purpose so you buy another one. Still, the IQ is excellent.

I thought about a small ILC with a virtually permanent lens but then I'm right back to my Olympus M10. Small body with a mushroom lens. Finding a bright lens becomes harder with larger sensor cameras.

The cheapest unit I could find is on eBay, for $250 OBO ... and Capture One doesn't support it.

Googled the Stylus 1S and it looks wonderful! It's a little chunky but not too bad. The cheapest unit I found on eBay is $417.02 and it is located in the UK.
I will keep my eyes open over here. The stylus 1 is very similar. The trouble with getting one from outside the country is the import duty which is an ass. Good luck. I found a bargain so they are out there
03-17-2018, 02:55 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Why don’t you just use your Q?
03-17-2018, 11:55 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The Q doesn't collapse flat like a compact. Only the 01 lens comes close and it's still like a mushroom sticking out.
04-25-2018, 10:32 PM   #12
Veteran Member

The Q doesn't collapse flat like a compact. Only the 01 lens comes close and it's still like a mushroom sticking out.
What did you wind up with? Just read this thread. My first vote would be the camera that went around the world with me (along with a K-7 with an M50/1.4) which is the Ricoh Gr Digital III. Might be able to find the IV version within budget but perhaps not - it holds value better being the last of that generation. And really there's not much difference between them.
Yup... GRDIII.

***Edit ahhh. Nevermind. I missed your 4th bullet point. (Zoom is overated ).

***Double Edit. The Canon S90 S95 and later would fit the bill (I had one of these for a long while on the same 2 year trip as the Ricoh but eventually sold it and went back to the Ricoh - great little camera I just didn't love the handling). As would a Nikon P340 (or similar-- P310, or 330).

Last edited by Eyewanders; 04-25-2018 at 10:40 PM.
04-25-2018, 11:43 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Why not make easy
Samsung phone or I phone both has very nice continuous improve camera
04-26-2018, 02:18 AM   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

I have a Canon G7x bought from another forum member and really like it.

It and the G7X II are available secondhand and the G9X is the current product.

04-26-2018, 03:12 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Fuji X10/20/30 would be a good candidate. OP what did you get?