Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
LS911 9x11 inch large format digital camera

QuoteQuote:
Taking a Photo with the LS911 Large Format Digital Camera

03-26-2018, 01:17 PM - 1 Like   #2
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't care how unsuitable this is for my photography, nor how impractical it would be for me to use, but I absolutely, unequivocally NEED that camera. Complete with "Sox the Fox" for test shots...
03-26-2018, 01:36 PM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
In a word
Attached Images

03-26-2018, 02:39 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

12 Mp? $106,000?

I do like the vignette correction, but I’m looking for anything that screams awesome, apart from the price...

-Eric

03-26-2018, 03:05 PM - 1 Like   #5
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote
12 Mp? $106,000?

I do like the vignette correction, but I’m looking for anything that screams awesome, apart from the price...
The control that's offered by a view camera with bellows, perhaps?

It's not all about the megapickles... in this case, as with any view camera, you get:

- The ability to skew the plane of critical focus
- The ability to distort the shape of the image by skewing the film / sensor plane
- Shallow depth of field - much shallower (if required)
- Smaller apertures can be used (if required) due to longer focal length lenses
- Access to some wonderful large format lenses

One of my favourite photographers is Stephen Shore. I marvel at his "one horse town" shots taken with large format cameras, that are in *perfect* focus throughout the entire depth of field. Very, very different to the hyper-focal approach we use on our DSLRs, and much more effective when used properly...

In any case, this is clearly an early model. If it takes off (and I realise that's a big "if"), we'll see higher resolution models further down the line.

Last edited by BigMackCam; 03-26-2018 at 03:18 PM.
03-26-2018, 03:10 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I mean, that's cool and all but..

How much film that size could you shoot (and get higher resolution) for that price?

I mean, sure, 12mp is technically enough, but I'm not sure I deem 12mp on a 9x11 enough?..

As I said, it's cool and all but it's niche in the niche of photography that is large format photography would be so small.. I guess that it justifies the price.
03-26-2018, 03:15 PM - 1 Like   #7
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Topsy Quote
I mean, that's cool and all but..

How much film that size could you shoot (and get higher resolution) for that price?

I mean, sure, 12mp is technically enough, but I'm not sure I deem 12mp on a 9x11 enough?..
As I mentioned above, it's not about the megapickles. It's about the control that a view camera gives you.

I agree, though, for many people it would be more sensible to shoot a film view camera and professionally scan the results. But there will be some artists who will embrace the immediacy that digital large format photography offers them.

If I had an unlimited budget (and I'm quietly confident that this weekend's UK National Lottery is coming my way), I'd buy one

03-26-2018, 03:22 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Base ISO of 2100!!!

And less than a penny-a-pixel!

Cool tech! It looks like the sensor is actually a glass plate with the photodiodes and CMOS circuitry deposited on to the glass substrate using the same manufacturing methods as TFT displays. The high base ISO suggests that the well depth isn't as high as a silicon wafer sensor could be but the total depth is still on the order of 10X that of the sensors in the K-1 or 645Z.

Hopefully they've plated on a decent AR coating otherwise the lack of microlenses means the vignetting will be painful with wide lenses unless one uses an apodization filter on the lens.

Oh, and a 165 mm f/5.6 lens on this beast will be "equivalent" to an 18 mm f/0.67 on FF.
03-26-2018, 03:41 PM   #9
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
Base ISO of 2100!!!

And less than a penny-a-pixel!
Nice

Cool tech! It looks like the sensor is actually a glass plate with the photodiodes and CMOS circuitry deposited on to the glass substrate using the same manufacturing methods as TFT displays. The high base ISO suggests that the well depth isn't as high as a silicon wafer sensor could be but the total depth is still on the order of 10X that of the sensors in the K-1 or 645Z.
At some point, I'm going to ask you nicely if you might direct me towards some reading to understand that properly. I'm technically (and, to some extent, electronically) minded enough that I'm sure I could, but right now my knowledge in that area is fractionally above zero. Is the level of knowledge you display the result of many years' learning, or could I grasp it (the basics, at least) with some intensive reading?

Hopefully they've plated on a decent AR coating otherwise the lack of microlenses means the vignetting will be painful with wide lenses unless one uses an apodization filter on the lens.
The test shots definitely showed vignetting. Is that different to how it would appear on film, though? So long as it accurately represents the film equivalent, I personally wouldn't be too concerned. I mean, it's only $106,000

Oh, and a 165 mm f/5.6 lens on this beast will be "equivalent" to an 18 mm f/0.67 on FF.
You had me at "Cool tech!"...
03-26-2018, 03:45 PM - 3 Likes   #10
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If it was a Pentax camera half the forum would be complaining that it's not got enough AF points.
03-26-2018, 03:50 PM - 2 Likes   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
If it was a Pentax camera half the forum would be complaining that it's not got enough AF points.
LOL!

And the other half would be cheering that it's mirrorless and does 4k video.
03-26-2018, 04:01 PM - 1 Like   #12
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
LOL!

Yeah, I'm just waiting for the first person who criticises the frame rate and lens choice for "birds in flight" work...
03-26-2018, 04:03 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

LOL!

4K is so yesteryear.

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Yeah, I'm just waiting for the first person who criticises the frame rate and lens choice for "birds in flight" work...
Yup! You've said it! LOL
03-26-2018, 04:18 PM   #14
Veteran Member

As I mentioned above, it's not about the megapickles. It's about the control that a view camera gives you.

I agree, though, for many people it would be more sensible to shoot a film view camera and professionally scan the results. But there will be some artists who will embrace the immediacy that digital large format photography offers them.
Yes, my slow typing on my phone prevented me from seeing your above post.

I'm happy to see it succeed, I suppose the price tag alone will create a small market for it, and I suppose for some studios and artists it'd be very convenient as you say.

However for landscapes I'd prefer cobbling together a camera with an array of medium format sensors and something to move them, let's call it 'pickle-shift', to bridge the gap between them. A modular sensor.

The flatbed scanner conversion from a few years ago impressed me too..
03-26-2018, 04:33 PM - 2 Likes   #15
Pentaxian

Nice

At some point, I'm going to ask you nicely if you might direct me towards some reading to understand that properly. I'm technically (and, to some extent, electronically) minded enough that I'm sure I could, but right now my knowledge in that area is fractionally above zero. Is the level of knowledge you display the result of many years' learning, or could I grasp it (the basics, at least) with some intensive reading?
Here's three good sources covering much the same material but with slightly different balances of graphics vs. text and basics versus deeper technical issues. The first one may be all you need to get a good idea of most of the concepts but perhaps the others might help clarify things or provide more depth.

https://graphics.stanford.edu/courses/cs448a-10/sensors-noise-14jan10-opt.pdf
https://www.visiononline.org/userAssets/aiaUploads/file/CVP_The-Fundamentals...-Chouinard.pdf
Fundamentals of Image Sensor Performance

The test shots definitely showed vignetting. Is that different to how it would appear on film, though? So long as it accurately represents the film equivalent, I personally wouldn't be too concerned. I mean, it's only $106,000
Film cameras typically show a cosine(theta) to the fourth power vignetting caused by each unit of area of the off-axis parts of the film emulsion having an oblique view of the lens pupil, being foreshortened with respect to that pupil, and being a greater distance from the pupil (a 1/r^2 loss). See http://dougkerr.net/Pumpkin/articles/Cosine_Fourth_Falloff.pdf for the math on this. It's mostly a problem with wide-angle lenses, especially on short-flange cameras.

Digital cameras also have this cos(theta)^4 attenuation, too. But digital suffers from even more vignetting because of reflections off the glass and silicon surfaces of the sensor assembly, Whereas film emulsions have a matte surface that absorbs light from almost any direction, digital sensors are shiny and tend to reflect off-axis light.