Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-15-2018, 02:14 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

On Nikon Focusing Screens

Cosidered posting this on NikonForums, but it seems that there are just more people around

So basically I have ordered a Nikon FE2 (after returning the defective FM), and because I only have a few Nikon lenses and most of them are fairly slow (the to-go lens of this camera will probably be a AF Nikkor 35-70 3.3-4.5 new or a factory AI'd Nikkor 55 3.5), I ordered a Nikon Type B2 screen with it. I would like to know exactly which kind of screen it is? Is it the microprism type screen similar to that of the Spotmatic, or is it a fine-ground matte like the FocusingScreens.com S-type screen which I have in my K-S2? And will the B2 screen work better if I am forced to use a lens that has a max aperture between f4 and f5.6?

Sincerely

Last edited by butangmucat; 04-15-2018 at 02:24 PM.
04-15-2018, 03:32 PM - 1 Like   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It is a Fresnel matte field with center ground-glass matte and is probably not equivalent to a Canon S-type or other Canon laser-matte screens.
A full summary of FM/FE series screens may be found at:

Nikon FE/FM/FA Series - Focusing Screens

Is there a problem with the screen (probably K2) that came with your FE2?

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 04-15-2018 at 03:46 PM.
04-15-2018, 03:47 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote

Also at the Nikon Imaging support site.

https://www.nikonimgsupport.com/na/NSG_article?articleNo=000025910&lang=en_SG

My choice would be a K2 or a K3.

Steve
04-15-2018, 03:52 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
It is a Fresnel matte field with center ground-glass matte and is probably not equivalent to a Canon S-type or other Canon laser-matte screens.

Is there a problem with the screen (probably K2) that came with your FE2?

Steve
I ordered it with the camera, and it hasn't arrived yet. I just want a microprism screen or a screen that does not black out with slower zooms. I have split prism blackout problems with both my AF 35-70 3.3-4.5 and my Tamron Adaptall-2 28-135 4-4.5 on my current Nikkormat FT3 which this new body will probably replace.

通过我的 moto x4 上的 Tapatalk发言

---------- Post added 04-15-18 at 03:55 PM ----------

I have used what would be the Contax equivalent of the B family screens with pretty good success before my 167MT died, so I do not mind the missing focus aid that much.

04-15-2018, 04:04 PM - 1 Like   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by butangmucat Quote
I have split prism blackout problems with both my AF 35-70 3.3-4.5 and my Tamron Adaptall-2 28-135 4-4.5 on my current Nikkormat FT3 which this new body will probably replace.
The K2 will probably resist blackout down, but if it doesn't, you will have the B2.

Steve
04-15-2018, 04:07 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
And if I understand the sources correctly, the B2 does have a spot in the center, but it is not a microprism dot like the one on the Spotmatic?

Sincerely

04-15-2018, 05:23 PM - 1 Like   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

And if I understand the sources correctly, the B2 does have a spot in the center, but it is not a microprism dot like the one on the Spotmatic?

Sincerely

It is the same as the stock screen, only with NO focus aides, just bare ground glass at center.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 04-15-2018 at 05:45 PM. Reason: added "at center"
04-15-2018, 09:59 PM - 1 Like   #8
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Right, no central focusing aid in B2.
-- I use the E2 screen in my FM-2, and noticed no problem w/ f/2.8 - f/3.5. E2 is identical to B2, except for added horizontal and vertical lines. Nikon suggests B and E screens are fine for fast lenses w/ shallow depth of field.
-- The other screen for FE-2/FM-2 is type K2, with central split image rangefinder. They say the rangefinder halves do not darken w/ smaller f-stop--to f/11 they say for the type K--don't know about the 1/3 e.v. brighter type K2. Except for the central focusing aid (and lines), these screens should be the same.

04-27-2018, 07:13 AM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
The K3 is a cool concept, the split screen will never blackout even when used with bellows! Except, in a relatively dark setting or when using wide angle lenses, it is nearly impossible to determine focus because everything looks in focus.

The Canon New F-1 was the first - and only other one, with a screen that cannot blackout and exhibits the same issues.
04-27-2018, 07:43 AM - 1 Like   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
The K3 is a cool concept, the split screen will never blackout even when used with bellows!
Yes, very resistant to blackout. The prism apparently has a graduated asymmetric grind to all both high sensitivity and high blackout resistance.

Steve
05-06-2018, 12:38 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
The K3 is a cool concept, the split screen will never blackout even when used with bellows! Except, in a relatively dark setting or when using wide angle lenses, it is nearly impossible to determine focus because everything looks in focus.

The Canon New F-1 was the first - and only other one, with a screen that cannot blackout and exhibits the same issues.
Is it like the screen on the MZ-M? The screen on the MZ-M seem to be even usable when stopped down to f8, and that's the reason I've keeped it - to use with slower zooms and lenses that does not support aperture automation (like my mount-converted C/Y Zeiss Planar 50 1.7).

And what about using it with telephoto lenses? I plan to use my FE2 with a Series E 75-150/3.5 or a Series E 100/2.8 in conjunction a TC-201 2x teleconverter. I currently use a E3 (edit: just checked, it was actually E2, my memory did not serve me well) matte screen (which was slightly cheaper because it was in BGN condition, and I want the grid) and it seems to work pretty well.

---------- Post added 05-06-18 at 12:50 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by dms Quote
Right, no central focusing aid in B2.
-- I use the E2 screen in my FM-2, and noticed no problem w/ f/2.8 - f/3.5. E2 is identical to B2, except for added horizontal and vertical lines. Nikon suggests B and E screens are fine for fast lenses w/ shallow depth of field.
-- The other screen for FE-2/FM-2 is type K2, with central split image rangefinder. They say the rangefinder halves do not darken w/ smaller f-stop--to f/11 they say for the type K--don't know about the 1/3 e.v. brighter type K2. Except for the central focusing aid (and lines), these screens should be the same.
A follow up question, are there any difference between E2 and E3 screens or B2 and B3 screens? As I understand correctly Nikon only indicated that the FM3a can take the 2 family of screens, but not the other way round.

I know that K3 has a different split prism compared to the K2, but am not sure if the matte screens in the family are any different.

Last edited by butangmucat; 05-06-2018 at 12:53 PM.
05-08-2018, 11:57 AM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

I know that K3 has a different split prism compared to the K2, but am not sure if the matte screens in the family are any different.
The Fresnel matte field is the same across the full family.

Steve
05-08-2018, 09:47 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
So E3 won't be any brighter than E2?

05-09-2018, 08:55 AM   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter