Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
05-02-2018, 02:03 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Non Pentaxians, What Would You Take?

If you could take one thing from Pentax cameras that your current brand doesn't have, what would it be?

I use Sony and I would really love quick shift focusing.

05-02-2018, 02:57 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Do the Three Amigos count as one thing?
05-02-2018, 04:14 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Yep! That would be awesome.
05-02-2018, 04:22 PM   #4
mee
Veteran Member

IBIS perhaps? ..even though I like the stabilized viewfinder, being able to have competent SR on every single lens that will mount to the body is quite attractive.

From a functional perspective, that is the only thing I can recall that I really miss. It hasn't hampered me as there are enough stabilized lenses that all my new F mount lenses have it. But it would be nice to have it in body anyways on the rare occasions when I want to play with older lenses and use a slower shutter speed. Beyond that, functionally the Nikon has been eye opening. I should have picked up one years ago and not kept rationalizing 'be patient with Pentax' in my head... If Nikon ever offers IBIS then whooooa doggy! (But I doubt they will - it would cost money)

05-02-2018, 04:54 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Pentax body ergonomic
Built as tank
Hey Sandy how was your trip to Antarctica
05-02-2018, 04:58 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dstar Quote
Hey Sandy how was your trip to Antarctica
Still seven months away

---------- Post added 03-05-18 at 09:29 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by LeDave Quote
Yep! That would be awesome.
They will, of course, work just fine on your Sony....
05-02-2018, 05:07 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Still seven months away

---------- Post added 03-05-18 at 09:29 AM ----------

They will, of course, work just fine on your Sony....
I didn't know there was a converter until I just googled it just now I've seriously have never heard of anyone using them on the Sony. I didn't think there were any because all I hear in the Sony community is using Canon or Nikon lenses on the Sony E mount... Mostly Canon though. Actually, almost always Canon, lol.

05-02-2018, 05:58 PM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

OVF, IBIS, astrotracer, pixel shift, TAv mode, the third control wheel, green button, robust weather sealed body, tilty-legged LCD, night-mode LCD, and those little body light for the lens mount & SD card area.
05-02-2018, 06:16 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have a Sony a6000 along with my Pentax. Shake Reduction and ergonomics would benefit it greatly, ergonomics to include wheels, button placement, and menus.
05-02-2018, 06:47 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I didn't know there was a converter until I just googled it just now I've seriously have never heard of anyone using them on the Sony.
LOL. The only reason I ever considered a Sony body was because they would allow older Pentax lenses to be used on Full Frame digital.

Since the K-1 was released that reason disappeared
05-02-2018, 07:44 PM   #11
Pentaxian

If you could take one thing from Pentax cameras that your current brand doesn't have, what would it be?

I use Sony and I would really love quick shift focusing.
Does not Sony already have that?

But Sony call it DMF (direct manual focus), and it is done by the camera instead, so it works on all screw drive lenses. DMF is an old function Minolta introduced on AF cameras back in the SLR days. Where the screw drive motor disconnect from the lens after AF is performed.

So Pentax QS is more limited as it is a function in the lens.

Last edited by Fogel70; 05-02-2018 at 08:21 PM.
05-02-2018, 08:59 PM   #12
Pentaxian

The ability to aperture priority autoexpose a scene for as long as it takes - all the while monitoring the scene for changes in lighting and adjusting accordingly. That would be nice!
05-03-2018, 02:00 AM   #13
Veteran Member

I think it would have to be "Norm"..... just so it feels like home over there (might have been a toss up between him and Rupert last year)
05-03-2018, 02:46 AM - 1 Like   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Pentax Forums? I suppose there is something similar for Sony shooters, but I wouldn't know.

I think the glass is what I would miss the most. Sony just doesn't have the same philosophy when designing glass. Nothing like the all metal (but small) lenses in the limited line up. Pentax's philosophy is a bit different too. I think of Sony as more of a gadget company that happens to make cameras, while Pentax is a camera company that happens to use electronics in their cameras.
05-03-2018, 04:23 AM   #15
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

I didn't know there was a converter until I just googled it just now I've seriously have never heard of anyone using them on the Sony. I didn't think there were any because all I hear in the Sony community is using Canon or Nikon lenses on the Sony E mount... Mostly Canon though. Actually, almost always Canon, lol.
I use combinations of the FA20-35, K28 f3.5, FA35, K55 f1.8 and FA77 as walkarounds on my Sony.

I also have a Canon converter for it and the 50mm f1.8, Tokina 17-35 f4 with an 85mm f1.8 in the mail.