Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
05-19-2018, 06:42 AM   #1
Veteran Member

The Sony a7 III Might Have Ruined Canon's Plans For Their Mirrorless System

The Sony a7 III Might Have Ruined Canon's Plans For Their Mirrorless System | Fstoppers

05-19-2018, 07:02 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Canon has long been preparing for mirrorless. it will come and it will be good. The whole dual pixel af tech is basically a mirrorless tech. They have tried it out in dslr's first and then made aps-c mirrorless, then combined the two. They are ready for a full frame model.
05-19-2018, 08:23 AM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
Canon has long been preparing for mirrorless. it will come and it will be good. The whole dual pixel af tech is basically a mirrorless tech. They have tried it out in dslr's first and then made aps-c mirrorless, then combined the two. They are ready for a full frame model.
The dual pixel tech is nice and has some advantages, but its also has some weaknesses. Its great for video shooters which is who it was designed for, but for fast action stills, its not nearly as good as PDAF tech. I do think that Canon will produce a solid mirrorless camera, but that is kind of the point of the article. Canon doesn't have much choice. The Sony A7III is arguably better than the 5DIV, so what does Canon do? Will Canon produce a mirrorless camera that is better than its own 5DIV for $1,000 less? Anything less than a 5DIV level mirrorless body is going to look weak compared to the competition.
05-19-2018, 08:31 AM   #4
Pentaxian

That article, I would rather not read all of it - so please tell me, is it a Sony A7 III commercial?

05-19-2018, 09:14 AM   #5
Pentaxian

I note that the article says;

"Canon, on the other hand, has a fully developed system that is soon to be obsolete due to needing to move to mirrorless"

I think they are referring to Canon's DSLR full frame system. If Canon needs to move to mirrorless...why did I buy a little over a year ago a full frame DSLR, my Pentax K1 ?

I always seem to be a couple of steps behind .
05-19-2018, 09:24 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
so please tell me, is it a Sony A7 III commercial?
Yes it is.

I'll quote from the "article" without a link: "The a7 III, on the other hand, is a very significant move against the norm because this camera is incredible."

F-TroopStoppers is the group of savants that had an "article" about Fujifilm cutting the market share of Canon and Nikon in two. Anybody can publish any damn nonsense on the Internet.
05-19-2018, 09:24 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote

"Canon, on the other hand, has a fully developed system that is soon to be obsolete due to needing to move to mirrorless"

I think they are referring to Canon's DSLR full frame system. If Canon needs to move to mirrorless...why did I buy a little over a year ago a full frame DSLR, my Pentax K1 ?

Seems like just another article spreading FUD, nothing to see here then.

05-19-2018, 09:36 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Canon 1) design their own sensors, 2) have a larger user base than Sony, and 3) have more experience making cameras and for a longer time. Even an underdog model from Canon sells in more quantities than any other brand, that means, when Canon will release a decent mirrorless full frame, they will sell quantity than Sony, they already do with DSLRs. If Canon come to market fast enough , they will shadow Sony. At the Sony, Sony have no competition so they can be the king of the hill. When Canon will come, the party will be over for Sony, they'll have to squeeze they margins and Sony market share progress will be stopped. The A9 will be worth $800.

Last edited by biz-engineer; 05-19-2018 at 09:45 AM.
05-19-2018, 09:42 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Canon doesn't have to make better products to sell more.
05-19-2018, 10:36 AM   #10
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Canon doesn't have to make better products to sell more.

That is sadly true. Though I do wonder, how long their momentum can travel before slowing (to a point where they have to actually offer something new)? I think even if you're a Canon shooter, you'd have to wonder that...
05-19-2018, 11:36 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
That is sadly true. Though I do wonder, how long their momentum can travel before slowing (to a point where they have to actually offer something new)? I think even if you're a Canon shooter, you'd have to wonder that...
The article is written by a Canon shooter.
05-19-2018, 12:02 PM   #12
Veteran Member

It’s all speculation. Canon might introduce a high-end $5500 or $6000 number for 1D level pros and leave the rest to their M series. We just don’t know. These articles are all advert fillers at present.

The A7III may have redefined what a 1500-2000 notes camera is about, what it can do and what it should have on board. If so, that will affect all outfits, not just Canon. The operative word is “may” since any effect will only become clear in retrospect, but the A7III has stirred things up quite markedly for sure.
05-19-2018, 04:11 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If Canon keeps their dSLR lens mount and flange to sensor distance, the camera starts with the great advantage of plug-and-play with a huge set of Canon lenses, with no adapters (and adapter problems) needed. Sony made a "thin" camera that nicely adapts to most any lens, but they had few lenses to offer when introduced, and so sold bodies to people like me that had existing lenses (mine were primarily SMC-M). As an electronics company, they may have been happy to use the body as their main product. Most legacy camera companies (Pentax, Canon, and Nikon) were optical companies, so lenses were their focus. Thus Canon making the body fit their existing lens line makes sense.
I don't think the thin body is inherently an advantage, except to adapt lenses, and why would Canon want people to adapt other makes of lenses to their cameras - they'd rather they use Canon lenses.
05-19-2018, 06:58 PM - 1 Like   #14
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote

Your K-1 will work just as well tomorrow, just as well next year and the year after that, regardless of what Sony and Canon do.
05-19-2018, 09:20 PM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Your K-1 will work just as well tomorrow, just as well next year and the year after that, regardless of what Sony and Canon do.
I know it will. I still have my 1968 Pentax S1a, that I bought new in 1968 and it still works...and it's been through a lot over the years. It was originally bought as a work tool when I worked at a publishing company back then . But as I changed careers it changed it's status to amateur and I've used it off and on for a little over 50 years now.

I've been a Pentaxian most of my life and I've found my K-1 to be a wonderful camera.