Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
FujiFilm....the Dark Horse!

05-20-2018, 11:53 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Surfar, from a friendly Mexican to a friendly Canadian, it will be hard for you to undo your reputation ('Fuji salesman', I think you were called elsewhere) if you post something with a title like that!
05-21-2018, 12:50 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Ha Ha Ha, where did you see that?...Deep in Meckico?

Funny thing, i dont have any brand bias...i own all the Japanese brands and the dead Korean one(still waiting for the funeral).

Deliberating between the A7iii and the 50R for this years investment???
05-21-2018, 12:52 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Idk this seems like a little bit of a stretch to call them the darkhorse. I will say it will be interesting to see what happens when they release their newer medium format camera though. I wonder if they will be the ones that will change the way everyone will see medium format in the way of camera speed/pace of shooting.

05-21-2018, 01:03 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Fcsnt54 Quote
. I will say it will be interesting to see what happens when they release their newer medium format camera though.
Yes,very interesting.Its highly likely that they will bring MF to a price point where it will be highly tempting to the people who buy high end CaNikony.The AF adapters are on firmware 5/6 now,very good.With the FF crop mode(around 31ish MP) the CaNik users can transition quite easily.
05-21-2018, 03:34 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
Yes,very interesting.Its highly likely that they will bring MF to a price point where it will be highly tempting to the people who buy high end CaNikony.The AF adapters are on firmware 5/6 now,very good.With the FF crop mode(around 31ish MP) the CaNik users can transition quite easily.

Even without the crop mode, although slight vignetting, the image quality is fantastic with those lenses. The sluggishness of the af though will be the hard part for those people to make the transition. Thats where fuji can reel in the market, if they can fix that nuance with medium format and slow autofocus. With the next couple of versions though they should have that fixed, and with the next sensor they should have the slow readout issue with the lag fixed.

05-21-2018, 04:20 AM   #7
Pentaxian

If they can add features by firmware update, it means the hardware already allows it in the first place, that also mean Fuji does not include all features at the initial camera release. You can't not agree with that. I've seen earlier posts about the same subject matter, and I thought the matter was clarified. Why keeping repeating the same things over and over again? Same argument about the small size of the A7 series, it keeps coming back over and over again, although users of A7 series complain about the ergonomics. I am under the impression that users forums also include some professional staff being paid to stir things up in forums. From what I've seen in DPR forums, it became obvious to me that some of the trolls are workers paid by some brand online PR department.

Last edited by biz-engineer; 05-21-2018 at 04:26 AM.
05-21-2018, 05:34 AM - 1 Like   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Fuji is doing fine, but why pretend that they are so much better than anyone else? It is almost like a religion. They have the best jpeg engine, the best high iso, they add amazing features with firmware updates (that they should have included originally, but still)...

At the same time, their raw files aren't really any better than their competitors, their lenses are nice (but expensive), and many of their cameras are decent sized. Functionality isn't really any better than similarly priced SLRs or Sony products. There is no full frame option.

A lot to like, but also feels a bit like an expensive dead end.
05-21-2018, 06:27 AM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Fuji is doing fine, but why pretend that they are so much better than anyone else? It is almost like a religion. They have the best jpeg engine, the best high iso, they add amazing features with firmware updates (that they should have included originally, but still)...

At the same time, their raw files aren't really any better than their competitors, their lenses are nice (but expensive), and many of their cameras are decent sized. Functionality isn't really any better than similarly priced SLRs or Sony products. There is no full frame option.

A lot to like, but also feels a bit like an expensive dead end.

Isnt that what most brand fanatics do though? Make it seem like their brand of camera is the best in the world? You hear that from all brands, but what it comes down to is all subjective opinion. It goes the same for sensor size as well, but what makes full frame the holy grail of all options? Apsc is closing the gap to where its very difficult to tell the difference between that and full frame. Even to the point of surpassing it in parts. Full frame will never be quite the same as medium format no matter how people like to beat on their drums. I agree with a lot of what you say though, except for the expensive dead end. In really we can equate that to all modern ilc cameras when phones are just about good enough.

05-21-2018, 06:50 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Isnt that what most brand fanatics do though? Make it seem like their brand of camera is the best in the world? You hear that from all brands, but what it comes down to is all subjective opinion. It goes the same for sensor size as well, but what makes full frame the holy grail of all options? Apsc is closing the gap to where its very difficult to tell the difference between that and full frame. Even to the point of surpassing it in parts. Full frame will never be quite the same as medium format no matter how people like to beat on their drums. I agree with a lot of what you say though, except for the expensive dead end. In really we can equate that to all modern ilc cameras when phones are just about good enough.
I happen to have become a full frame convert and so I would have a hard time giving up full frame for an excellent camera whose main claim to fame is its jpeg engine.

But to me, these are just tools and the brands are just brands. There are fewer differences and more similarities between them than the biggest proponents of them want to believe (true for Sony and Pentax and Canon/Nikon, as well).
05-21-2018, 06:55 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Well said. I'll add, though, that imo FF is always going to have a problem with the sheer size and cost of lenses as they exceed about 100mm, especially zooms. Just too big and too much for many. This is where smaller formats continue to have a place. You can either trade size for reach (FF 400mm -> APS_C 600mm) or go smaller all round in many cases (M43 or APS-C dedicated lenses). Perhaps an ideal set-up would be FF milc for primes up to 100mm or so and an APS-C or M43 something or other for the rest, especially longer lenses.
05-21-2018, 07:20 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mecrox Quote
Well said. I'll add, though, that imo FF is always going to have a problem with the sheer size and cost of lenses as they exceed about 100mm, especially zooms. Just too big and too much for many. This is where smaller formats continue to have a place. You can either trade size for reach (FF 400mm -> APS_C 600mm) or go smaller all round in many cases (M43 or APS-C dedicated lenses). Perhaps an ideal set-up would be FF milc for primes up to 100mm or so and an APS-C or M43 something or other for the rest, especially longer lenses.
Maybe so. I don't shoot longer than 200 mm full frame equivalent and so that's probably not a big deal to me. I also see wildlife shooters still gravitating to full frame, even though long lenses are expensive, because of the high iso capabilities full frame offers versus smaller formats.

And the Fuji 50-140 f2.8 is 83 by 176 cm and weighs 995 grams (cost 1450), while the Canon 70-200 f4 IS 1100 dollars, 76 by 172 mm and weight of 760 grams. These lenses should give roughly equivalent performance on their respective cameras.
05-21-2018, 09:26 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Maybe so. I don't shoot longer than 200 mm full frame equivalent and so that's probably not a big deal to me. I also see wildlife shooters still gravitating to full frame, even though long lenses are expensive, because of the high iso capabilities full frame offers versus smaller formats.

And the Fuji 50-140 f2.8 is 83 by 176 cm and weighs 995 grams (cost 1450), while the Canon 70-200 f4 IS 1100 dollars, 76 by 172 mm and weight of 760 grams. These lenses should give roughly equivalent performance on their respective cameras.
There are plenty of people who don't want to mess with 400mm, 600mm or greater behemoths on FF for birds and the like, especially as one gets older and/or has to try to get them into an airline bag. APS-C or even M43 comes into its own here, imho.
05-21-2018, 10:18 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mecrox Quote
There are plenty of people who don't want to mess with 400mm, 600mm or greater behemoths on FF for birds and the like, especially as one gets older and/or has to try to get them into an airline bag. APS-C or even M43 comes into its own here, imho.
That's fine, but with 50 megapixel full frame, you don't get as much reach with APS-C and Micro four thirds as what it might first appear.
05-21-2018, 12:57 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
I think the new 100MP BSI sensor is going to be very expensive. It will be a $10,000 body if not more. The Phase One is a $45,000 body, so if Fuji hits the $15,000 price point they will sell all they can make. If Fuji wants to run even 3fps with 16-bit RAW (100MP) then they need a huge amount of processing power and memory. Even with a lossless compressed RAW they will be near 100MB each. If Fuji uses X-Trans they will need 2-3x more processing power and memory since Xtrans is pretty hard on system resources.

If they can't hit at least 3fps, then people buying Canon/Nikon aren't going to be interested anyway. Its got to have the speed that these users expect. Both AF and fps.