Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-23-2018, 04:56 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Canon to Start Selling Sensors

Canon is now selling CMOS image sensors, including a 120MP APS-H beast: Digital Photography Review

One of Canon's biggest mistakes (IMHO) was that they didn't sell sensors to other camera manufacturers back when they had the 5D and they were leading the industry in sensor tech. Instead they left a vacuum in the market that was filled by Sony. Sony was smart enough to sell to anyone and everyone and use the revenue to invest heavily into R&D. Had Canon done the same there is a good chance they would own the sensor market instead of Sony. Hopefully Canon expands its offering to other consumer camera manufacturers.

05-23-2018, 05:49 PM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

But which current image processor will those Canon sensors work easily with?

At the moment, for instance, over the years Pentax & Nikon's camera sensors have been designed to work closely with [sometimes customised] Milbeaut image processors, and allied families of supporting chips and DSP's. It's probably not a trivial matter for any established player to switch to Canon sensors. But it might be easier for newcomers (eg from China) to go straight into using Canon sensors, I guess. So expect a Yongnuo or Xiaomi 120MP APS-H camera soon

Plus any non-Canon camera bodies from established brands like Nikon or Pentax may find themselves requiring all sorts of associated Canon circuitry in order to get the Canon image sensor working at it's best. At which point the third party camera may as well be a Canon in all but name, since everything important inside will be Canon or Canon-dependent. I'm not sure that prospect will be very interesting to current Canon competitors.
05-23-2018, 07:04 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Interesting. I hope Pentax sticks with Sony!
06-23-2018, 05:21 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Sony makes sensors for a long time and Canon did not invent the imaging sensor. Unless you sell a lot of cameras, you will not be able to design/request/afford your own OEM sensor. You also don't want to depend on one OEM manufacturer. Sony will most likely not offer a high end sensor optimized for mirrorless cameras or placed in mirrorless cameras.

06-23-2018, 11:22 AM   #5
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by zapp Quote
You also don't want to depend on one OEM manufacturer.
but you will want one sensor design/designer per camera model.