Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-11-2018, 08:00 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Contemplating an Olympus TG-5

Like many people who post on Pentax Forums, I have a problem. At present I have two Pentax film bodies, a K-1, a Q, a Q 7 and a Sigma with the Foveon sensor. Even so, I am contemplating buying an Olympus TG 5 to have when I am in or near the water. Does anyone have any experience with this camera, and if so, any useful observations about it?

I'd be grateful for any thoughts.

Last edited by jva59; 06-11-2018 at 08:29 AM.
06-11-2018, 08:28 AM   #2

Photos: Albums
I have this camera. It’s small and works great in the water. I really like it for under water. Although I haven’t had any time to really use it yet, the water in Maine is still cold.

If you don’t mind playing with the features, it’s fun. I’m hoping to use live composite feature that adds only the new light. I think it will be fun with portraits or even astrophotography with city lights.

It’s not as good as a dedicated macro but still fun.

And because it’s “tough” I didn’t mind loaning it to my son when he went to Europe and I knew the camera would be in his pocket the whole time.
06-11-2018, 08:30 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PancakeFlipper Quote
I have this camera. It’s small and works great in the water. I really like it for under water. Although I haven’t had any time to really use it yet, the water in Maine is still cold.

If you don’t mind playing with the features, it’s fun. I’m hoping to use live composite feature that adds only the new light. I think it will be fun with portraits or even astrophotography with city lights.

It’s not as good as a dedicated macro but still fun.

And because it’s “tough” I didn’t mind loaning it to my son when he went to Europe and I knew the camera would be in his pocket the whole time.
Thanks,, PF!
06-11-2018, 08:34 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My step-dad has a Nikon 7xxxx series APSC camera and a Pentax WG-50 (or maybe an earlier model) and he loves it. He uses his when travelling where he will be in the water a lot. The images are fine outside of the water as well but not enough to stop him from taking the DSLR when water isn't a huge part of the plan.

06-11-2018, 09:12 AM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I used the TG-5 on a recent snorkeling trip and it worked really well with the underwater case. IMO it's a great choice for this type of shooting.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-11-2018, 11:07 AM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

We have had both the Olympus and the Optio. They are good cameras but if you want to use them for an action shot they are very slow and you will be disappointed. I kayak and wanted to get whitewater kayakers doing crazy stuff and the lag from pushing the button to getting the shot was too long. If you don't need that then you will be happy.
06-11-2018, 02:27 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The TG5 has loads of good features and the accessories make it special!

However,the recently announced Panasonic has an EVF,so it has an advantage.

06-13-2018, 02:48 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I personally really like the Olympus TG-860/870 series. It doesn't have 4k and I believe slightly lower resolution (20 vs 16), but it does have wi-fi... and the best part about it is that it has a flip-screen (pretty sure the only one that can do this). I find that to be extremely helpful, especially underwater. It's also about $100-150 cheaper...

I personally own the TG-860, and think it is the best, in terms of quality and function
07-10-2018, 07:18 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for observations and advice! I bought the TG-5 and am enjoying it.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
TG-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
TG-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
TG-5  Photo 
07-10-2018, 07:42 PM - 1 Like   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The second shot really brings the water proof theme home. The third shot has a great quality about it. Glad you found your camera to your liking.