Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-15-2018, 08:43 AM   #1

M42 adapter

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Having just received my M42 adapter to fit on my Canon 60d I have noticed that when I mount the lens the writing is never up on top, its down at the side. Have I got a bad adapter or is that a side effect of cheap adapters.
There again I have seen Canon 60d's with the writing at the top.

Name:  _MG_1123.jpg
Views: 224
Size:  174.6 KB

Found this image, seems I have a crap dodgy adapter.

Name:  canon-60d-with-takumar-85mm-lens.jpg
Views: 310
Size:  99.5 KB

Shuggzi

06-15-2018, 09:19 AM   #2
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

This is typically due to either (a) the threads of the adapter having been cut without any considering the orientation of the adapter (very common, especially with cheaper Chinese models), or (b) the lens haing been serviced and reassembled such that the mount is rotated from it's original position (it depends on the lens whether this is even possible, but several of my Soviet lenses were like this when I bought them).

In your case, it's not too bad as it's only out of alignment by a little under 90 degrees. Even with a well-cut adapter, they're often out by 5 - 10 degrees in either direction. It won't affect operation of your lens
06-15-2018, 09:56 AM   #3

Original Poster
I have tried my other Komura 135mm lens and its the same, just wondering if taking the chance and get another adapter, its just a pain the ass trying to see the aperture etc
06-15-2018, 11:06 AM   #4
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Shuggzi Quote
I have tried my other Komura 135mm lens and its the same, just wondering if taking the chance and get another adapter, its just a pain the ass trying to see the aperture etc
It's a complete lottery with many of the low cost Chinese adapters. You stand a better chance of good alignment if you go for a well-recognised and good quality brand, but it's still not necessarily guaranteed. I've had good luck with Fotodiox products.

06-15-2018, 11:34 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
It's a complete lottery with many of the low cost Chinese adapters. You stand a better chance of good alignment if you go for a well-recognised and good quality brand, but it's still not necessarily guaranteed. I've had good luck with Fotodiox products.
A bit pricey for me. here on ebay uk they start at £45.00
06-15-2018, 11:39 AM - 1 Like   #6

Even with my OEM Pentax adapters on K-mount bodies the majority of my screwmount lenses align to about the 11 o'clock position. One or two line up at 12 o'clock. Just the vagaries of the adapters and lenses I would guess.
06-15-2018, 12:00 PM   #7
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

A bit pricey for me. here on ebay uk they start at £45.00
Understood, but control and consistency in manufacture is one of the reasons for the higher price. As is often the case, the most inexpensive products are usually inferior in one or more ways. "Cheap" and "excellent" rarely go together. You can usually have one or the other, but not both

Given that you're in the UK (so am I), look for K&F Concepts adapters. They may be a little cheaper, and they're generally very well made and finished

EDIT: Here you go: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Concept-Mount-Adapter-Camera-Bayonet/dp/B06XDX3Y92/...+canon+adapter

Last edited by BigMackCam; 06-15-2018 at 12:09 PM.
06-15-2018, 12:24 PM   #8

Original Poster
Understood, but control and consistency in manufacture is one of the reasons for the higher price. As is often the case, the most inexpensive products are usually inferior in one or more ways. "Cheap" and "excellent" rarely go together. You can usually have one or the other, but not both

Given that you're in the UK (so am I), look for K&F Concepts adapters. They may be a little cheaper, and they're generally very well made and finished

EDIT: Here you go: K & F Concept Lens Mount Adapter M42 to Canon EF EOS: Amazon.co.uk: Camera & Photo

I had seen SRB were doing adapters, I may give them a call next week and have a chat with them, theirs are slightly cheaper than the K&F one that you linked.

If Sunday is dry I will be out having a go at taking some images with the M42 lenses I have, oh just bought a Helios 44m from fleabay as heard good things about them

I will slowly be changing to Pentax camera in the near future, still deciding if I will go down the route of a used K3 or just get a K5ii. Will also be looking for a Pentax film camera and love the look of the Pentax MZ-S but high prices.

Last edited by Shuggzi; 06-15-2018 at 12:31 PM. Reason: More info
06-15-2018, 12:31 PM   #9
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

I had seen SRB were doing adapters, I may give them a call next week and have a chat with them, theirs are slightly cheaper than the K&F one that you linked.

If Sunday is dry I will be out having a go at taking some images with the M42 lenses I have, oh just bought a Helios 44m from fleabay as heard good things about them
SRB products are generally good. I notice their M42 to EOS adapter is actually made by Pixco... I have some Pixco M42 and M39 adapters for E-mount, and they're very decent quality
06-15-2018, 12:32 PM   #10

Original Poster
SRB products are generally good. I notice their M42 to EOS adapter is actually made by Pixco... I have some Pixco M42 and M39 adapters for E-mount, and they're very decent quality
I seen the Pixco on ebay but was not sure if they were a lower end product or not
06-15-2018, 12:41 PM   #11
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

I seen the Pixco on ebay but was not sure if they were a lower end product or not
Pixco products are usually pretty decent. Way, way better than the low-end Chinese products, but still reasonably priced - certainly considering the quality and finish.
06-15-2018, 12:53 PM   #12

Original Poster
Pixco products are usually pretty decent. Way, way better than the low-end Chinese products, but still reasonably priced - certainly considering the quality and finish.
Okay just been on ebay and noticed Pixco do a M42 to EOS adapter with focus assist, is it worth getting focus assist? Have also heard that some adapters can fry a cameras internals
06-15-2018, 12:59 PM - 1 Like   #13
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Okay just been on ebay and noticed Pixco do a M42 to EOS adapter with focus assist, is it worth getting focus assist? Have also heard that some adapters can fry a cameras internals
The "focus assist" adapters have electrical contacts and an IC that allow for focus confirmation, but it's not a very accurate way to focus, in all honesty. You're better off using your own eyes through the viewfinder, and a "dumb" adapter. And if there are no electronics in the adapter, there's nothing to fry the camera
06-15-2018, 04:16 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Some of the M42 adapters have the M42 thread on an insert ring that is held in position by 3 tiny set screws on the outside diameter. If so, just loosen the screws, rotate the threaded ring until the lens aligns correctly, and tighten the screws. Typically the set screws fit a V groove in the inner ring so doing this won’t affect the lens / sensor plane alignment.
06-15-2018, 04:19 PM   #15
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TomB_tx Quote
Some of the M42 adapters have the M42 thread on an insert ring that is held in position by 3 tiny set screws on the outside diameter. If so, just loosen the screws, rotate the threaded ring until the lens aligns correctly, and tighten the screws. Typically the set screws fit a V groove in the inner ring so doing this won’t affect the lens / sensor plane alignment.
I've never heard of that for an M42-to-Canon-EOS adapter (the OP is using a Canon 60D) It's common with M42-to-E-mount adapters (in fact, all of mine have that capability), but I wouldn't have thought there was enough space on an EOS adapter to allow that kind of arrangement...