Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-18-2018, 04:07 PM - 1 Like   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
A camera reviewers personal choice.

This bloke had the digital camera world pass through his hands.

06-18-2018, 05:03 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Good video.
Much respect for Olympus. They have done well over recent years.
06-18-2018, 05:05 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Good video, he makes some very good points.
06-18-2018, 08:05 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Mike Johnston (The Online Photographer) also just went Micro 4/3 with a Panasonic camera and lens. Well he says he's moving to that system as his main system but he's also keeping his Fuji stuff...
To me this shows that if one can make APSC work as a system, there is absolutely nothing wrong with that, as there are clearly advantages over M4/3 and the size can be pretty compact still.

06-18-2018, 08:24 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Theres no perfect system,just the one that suits what the individual wants to do.

My M43 bag is a touch over 2kgs, the K-1 bag is a touch under 9kgs.Weight can determine a day out unless theres a specific need.Everyday is different.
06-18-2018, 11:06 PM   #6
Pentaxian

I just checked the price of the Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II he is in love with ... body only at a leading Australian retailer (DCW) it costs just about the same as a K-1. And more than relatively compact bodies like the D750 or Sony A7II. It even costs more than the new Panasonic G9.

While the Sony sensor in the OM-D E-M1 Mark II performs wonders (according to DxO as good as any APS-C), alas it still can't really touch the high-ISO levels of a FF K-1 or D750. So personally I'll won't be digital downsizing yet to an OM-D E-M1 Mark II.

Anyway, my idea of digital downsizing really means downsizing, to the likes of the RX-100 I've had and enjoyed for several years already. I'd also count cameras like the Sony RX-1R or Fuji X100F as true 'downsizing' cameras, not just another hulking interchangeable lens camera, even if it may be mirrorless.
06-19-2018, 12:18 AM   #7
Pentaxian

If I want small, I'd use my A7 (Kolari thin sensor modded) with Voigtlander 12mm, Canon 50/1.4 ltm and a Canon 100/4 ltm.
FF, "cheapish", versatile from UWA>Normal>short Tele, and small (but still FF).
Other choices with a bit more AF: A7+CV15VIII; FE28/2; FE50/1.8

u4/3, esp the higher end ones is where it does not appeal as much to me as a system.
The camera and lenses get as expensive and bigger to the point that a A7 or NEX or Fuji is comparable with some considered choice with the lenses (eg. CV12, CV15, Sigma 30/2.8,Sony 10-18, etc)
Even the Canon apsc MILC (eg. M50) are small with some of its native lenses.

If I go back to getting u4/3, it will be one of the PEN or GF series cameras that are smaller and the few pancake lenses or some of the manual lenses, as a small travel kit.
But I just find that the other apsc MILC options can offer something quite close but with the apsc IQ.

06-19-2018, 01:44 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
I just checked the price of the Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II he is in love with ... body only at a leading Australian retailer (DCW) it costs just about the same as a K-1. And more than relatively compact bodies like the D750 or Sony A7II. It even costs more than the new Panasonic G9.

While the Sony sensor in the OM-D E-M1 Mark II performs wonders (according to DxO as good as any APS-C), alas it still can't really touch the high-ISO levels of a FF K-1 or D750. So personally I'll won't be digital downsizing yet to an OM-D E-M1 Mark II.

Anyway, my idea of digital downsizing really means downsizing, to the likes of the RX-100 I've had and enjoyed for several years already. I'd also count cameras like the Sony RX-1R or Fuji X100F as true 'downsizing' cameras, not just another hulking interchangeable lens camera, even if it may be mirrorless.
You buy this stuff as a system, not a body. M43's strength is the large ecosystem of bodies and lenses to suit pretty well all tastes and budgets and, somewhere in the system, pretty well every modern gadget and gizmo (face detect, IBIS, focus stacking, etc). As with any system, you accept compromises around a personal "good enough" bar. No one system does everything well or even at all in some cases. Olympus have some good old photography heritage in their genes and they do make lovely lenses. Fuji come close but their ecosystem is smaller, they're only just getting into IBIS and - depending on one's tastes - they've saddled themselves with X-Trans. But fast forward say three years and Fuji could be the one to beat.

Last edited by mecrox; 06-19-2018 at 01:55 AM.
06-19-2018, 02:39 AM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Micro four thirds is a nice system. Cost is going to be similar if you are wanting top end bodies and lenses. And honestly, I (and there are a few others like me) still prefer an optical viewfinder. I know current ones are awesome, but I develop eye strain when looking through one of those for any length of time. Not sure what it is, but it doesn't seem to be something I can easily get accustomed to.
06-19-2018, 06:16 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Micro four thirds is a nice system. Cost is going to be similar if you are wanting top end bodies and lenses. And honestly, I (and there are a few others like me) still prefer an optical viewfinder. I know current ones are awesome, but I develop eye strain when looking through one of those for any length of time. Not sure what it is, but it doesn't seem to be something I can easily get accustomed to.
Same here. I much prefer the optical viewfinder. I get to play with a coworker's A7II and while it's a nice camera I am always glad to look through an optical viewfinder afterwards.

It's not an uncommon thing either, Ricoh have said that one of the strengths of the 645Z is that it has an optical finder which none of its direct competitors does. So they are receiving feedback that a lot of people like that.
06-19-2018, 06:59 AM - 1 Like   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
Same here. I much prefer the optical viewfinder. I get to play with a coworker's A7II and while it's a nice camera I am always glad to look through an optical viewfinder afterwards.

It's not an uncommon thing either, Ricoh have said that one of the strengths of the 645Z is that it has an optical finder which none of its direct competitors does. So they are receiving feedback that a lot of people like that.
Sometimes people act as though it is a personal choice and I suppose to a certain extent it is. But to me, it is like people who have motion sickness when playing 3D games on a computer (I am one of those too). I can last for a period of time with them, but if I am running around looking up and down I just start to feel queasy. In the same way, the longer I use an EVF the more of a headache I start to get.

Maybe the days of OVFs are numbered, but I don't feel like I am alone in not being comfortable using them.
06-19-2018, 07:11 AM   #12
Pentaxian

You're definitely not the only one.

There's something fishy going on in that video... "a particularly attractive sheep"???
That's what supposedly was the argument to get the Olympus. Or rather, the lack of articulated screen on the MY 2007 D300 and MY 2008 5D Mk II, as opposed to the MY 2016 OM-D E-M1 Mk II.
It's nothing more than an useless 14:41 rationalization of a personal choice.
06-19-2018, 07:32 AM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Sometimes people act as though it is a personal choice and I suppose to a certain extent it is. But to me, it is like people who have motion sickness when playing 3D games on a computer (I am one of those too). I can last for a period of time with them, but if I am running around looking up and down I just start to feel queasy. In the same way, the longer I use an EVF the more of a headache I start to get.

Maybe the days of OVFs are numbered, but I don't feel like I am alone in not being comfortable using them.
I agree with your assessment and I'm also going to add that even if it is a personal preference it's still very valid.
If we are spending our money there's nothing wrong with getting what we like best...
06-19-2018, 02:05 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Just like everyone's priorities are different, photographic genres are so varied that the optimal solution would probably be a set of cameras for each person and for each task.
Since it's impossible, we try to make do with one or two cameras, but we have to accept limitations based on convenience (e.g. one could use Pentax for vintage lenses and Canon for action shots, but it would mean having two systems, so it's more practical to have, say, an APS-C and a FF from a single brand).
Since the number of different compromises can be unlimited (because it derives from what the single user thinks it's a priority and what he doesn't), discussion is bound to be endless.

But, as rawr points out, I'd be damned if a 1'700€ camera is not satisfactory! How was that meme?

"I'm a simple man, I make do with a small and lowly E-M1 mkII"