Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-26-2018, 10:56 AM   #1

'Stalking' a new camera for around 2 years ... ?

Stalking a camera for around 18 months ! ?

Retirement means looking out for new bargains , such as my new £225 Pentax K-S1 from John Lewis with extra 35mm lens compatible with my 90s AF lenses

Two years ago , I bought a new , boxed , Fujifilm X-Pro1 body @ £ 168 to which I added the least expensive £150 27mm lens which I tens to use as point and shoot [ what a come down ! ]
However , I don't get on with the rangefinder style with legacy lenses .

We frequently visit John Lewis department store where I saw an SLR styled Fuji X-T1 with 18-55 lens recently discontinued with the X-T2 adjacent @ £ 1300 down from £1450.
Well out of my reach !

it became a bit of fun as it dropped fro £1450 to £1300 when the X-T2 arrived .
It remained at £850 which is well above my comfort zone , until we checked out the clearance items last week .

The camera had dropped to £550 .
Not ideal , but with further discount as a display model and missing charger , i snapped it up for £427 - gifting me an excellent 18-55 lens for both cameras .

Frankly , the zoom feels odd on the x-Pro1 , but fine with the improved EVF on the X-T1.

I have never stalked a camera before , but it worked out in the end !

The K-S1 remains my most trusted camera as I have had SLRs since 1972 , but the Fuji are going to be fun to play around with !

With respect , it seems that neither Pentax or Fuji find much favour among the Sonys/Panasonics/olympus/Canon and Nikon in department stores .
Neither do the sale people know anything about them - I had to ask to swap the battery from my X-Pro1 just to try out the X-T1 .

Regards
dee

06-26-2018, 12:23 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Enjoy the journey! I retired in 2009 and took up photography again after some decades. I started with SLRs in 1965 with a Pentax H1a, but in the decades since Rangefinders have been my main cameras, since working for a Leica dealer in college got me in the door. They were expensive, but I used the same camera and lenses for 5 decades. An SLR is needed for some things, but an RF is an acquired taste.
06-26-2018, 02:24 PM   #3

Original Poster
TomB_tx - thanks .
I still have my M8 bought from an inheritance , as the nearest camera to analogue . I guess it got me into those CCD colours , but the Panasonic / Leica Digilux 3 was , and is , my all time favourite camera .
The X-Pro1 has a similar richness somehow .
07-27-2018, 12:46 PM   #4
Death89

I'm currently eyeing the Canon EOS M100 with 15-45 and 22mm for £400 (with cashback) on Amazon. I can't even buy a Pentax equivalent to the 22mm for £500 in the UK!

06-02-2019, 09:06 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Death89 Quote
I'm currently eyeing the Canon EOS M100 with 15-45 and 22mm for £400 (with cashback) on Amazon. I can't even buy a Pentax equivalent to the 22mm for £500 in the UK!
Looking at the prices, that's a low cost camera.
Definitely not an enthusiast camera.
QuoteQuote:
Casual snapshooters and family documentarians take note: The Canon EOS M100 ($599 with 15-45mm lens) is a mirrorless camera that gets a lot right. It corrects the missteps that Canon made with its first mirrorless releases, delivering speedy autofocus and solid image quality. It's one of the smaller mirrorless models on the market, with a big touch LCD that will appeal to smartphone photographers. It's not our absolute favorite affordable mirrorless option—that's the Sony a6000—but it's a fine alternative for casual shooters who don't mind the absence of an EVF.
Canon EOS M100 Review & Rating | PCMag.com

You get what you pay for. I had to laugh at good for "smartphone photographers." I've never seen that before in a camera description. At least you know what their target market is. That being said, if you are smart phone photographer, it's going to be a huge up grade, on the positive side. And if you've got nothing, a nice cheap way to get into the game. And it will keep you going until you get interested in one of the more niche areas of photography.

Oh and you can find a 21 ltd. for £496 in the UK on amazon.

Last edited by normhead; 06-02-2019 at 10:22 AM.
06-02-2019, 10:17 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Death89 Quote
I can't even buy a Pentax equivalent to the 22mm for £500 in the UK!
If you are looking for a 22mm prime lens, they won't be common anywhere. If you want a good lens that can do 22mm, the DA 18-135mm is a fine lens ..... but I don't know what the U.K. price would be.