Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-27-2018, 09:50 AM - 1 Like   #16
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Boris_Akunin Quote
Looks good! (as is to be expected from the Bokina)

How is the adapter coping with that rather heavy lens?
Quite well I actually ran it for a few hours on a 1 1/4lb SMC Pentax-M 80-200mm F4.5 to test and it held up well

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
ILCE-7M2  Photo 

Last edited by Sliver-Surfer; 07-28-2018 at 05:01 PM.
08-08-2018, 11:15 AM - 1 Like   #17
Veteran Member

Original Poster
One I took at the Roman Forum on our recent holiday.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
ILCE-7M3  Photo 
08-18-2018, 12:47 PM - 1 Like   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Shooting a concert
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
ILCE-7M3  Photo 
11-06-2018, 07:23 AM - 1 Like   #19
Pentaxian

The clothing brand I work for gave me their Sony A7III along with the 35 1.4 lens. Despite my prejudices against Sony cameras I actually quite like it. Not a fan of the ergonomics or the menu systems but the output is quite good as well as the advanced functions it provides. Since my Pentax 85 mm lens just died (was a good run) I will most likely be picking up the Sony 85 1.8 and be giving that sweet eye AF a try on my future shoots.

Last edited by LeRolls; 11-23-2018 at 12:56 AM.
11-06-2018, 09:19 AM - 1 Like   #20
Pentaxian

^ Lucky!

I'm also not a big fan of their ergonomics & menu system, but that AF system is amazing! Especially that EYE-AF feature. My dad got one about a month ago & the AF is on another level of amazement. Catching sharp photos of fidgety toddlers & kids is a breeze with that camera. Well, not necessarily a breeze, but it's a bit easier to get more keepers from that camera than using a Pentax camera to do the same thing. Heck! Even easier than using a Nikon D7200 as well. You might end up converting. Hahaha!
11-06-2018, 01:47 PM - 1 Like   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I just picked up an early Super-Takumar 50/1.4. The rendering is beautiful, and I love the flaring too!
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
ILCE-7M3  Photo 
11-25-2018, 12:53 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LeRolls Quote
To be honest I really can't see myself spending more than $2000 on a Sony body. The performance of the A7III is beyond what I need for AF and FPS. I prefer to spend my money on the glass and stick to sub $2000 bodies

I still definitely prefer the rendering and the colors out of the Pentax. Sony colors seem flat/dead and something about the highlights/shadows. Images lack depth and dimensionality to my eyes. Gotta get better at editing I guess...

I didn't know you were using straight out of camera JPEGs.

What glass are you going to spend money on? It will be a year before a new D-FA* 85mm is on the market. Buying a used Sigma 85mm or another FA* 85mm?

The Best Cameras for Color Reproduction, Ranked

If the swimsuit company you work for wants accurate colors for their swimwear, I would shoot RAW and use a Passport color checker. That way if you do shoot with different camera (K-1 & Fuji XT-3) for example you don't end up a portfolio that looks like a bag a Skittles because of how different they both are in terms of stock color profiles.

11-25-2018, 07:46 PM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
I didn't know you were using straight out of camera JPEGs.

What glass are you going to spend money on? It will be a year before a new D-FA* 85mm is on the market. Buying a used Sigma 85mm or another FA* 85mm?

The Best Cameras for Color Reproduction, Ranked

If the swimsuit company you work for wants accurate colors for their swimwear, I would shoot RAW and use a Passport color checker. That way if you do shoot with different camera (K-1 & Fuji XT-3) for example you don't end up a portfolio that looks like a bag a Skittles because of how different they both are in terms of stock color profiles.

Best COLOR SCIENCE: Canon vs Nikon vs Sony vs Fujifilm - YouTube
I do shoot RAW and honestly it's not so much accuracy of colors that I am concerned with but more about what I personally find pleasing. I like my work to have a specific mood and atmosphere to it. Something that I'm finding harder to do with the Sony files. I think I mostly just have to spend more time learning how to edit the files better. I picked up the Fujifilm X-T3 recently and just ordered the 56mm 1.2 so it will be interesting to see how I feel about those files. Also interested in the 90mm f2 as well as the 16mm 1.4 for Fuji. For the time being I will probably stick with the 35mm 1.4 and the 85mm 1.8 for the Sony.
11-25-2018, 09:48 PM - 1 Like   #24
Veteran Member

I do shoot RAW and honestly it's not so much accuracy of colors that I am concerned with but more about what I personally find pleasing. I like my work to have a specific mood and atmosphere to it. Something that I'm finding harder to do with the Sony files. I think I mostly just have to spend more time learning how to edit the files better. I picked up the Fujifilm X-T3 recently and just ordered the 56mm 1.2 so it will be interesting to see how I feel about those files. Also interested in the 90mm f2 as well as the 16mm 1.4 for Fuji. For the time being I will probably stick with the 35mm 1.4 and the 85mm 1.8 for the Sony.
Fuji makes great cameras and gear. I have 2 friends that shoot wedding and use Fuji. Mostly (80%) OOC JPEGs. The Fuji 56mm F/1.2 and the Sony 85mm F/1.8 give very, very similar results. One of them borrowed my 85mm F/1.8 to test on an A7III body and challenged me and several people to see if we could tell the difference between his Fuji XT-2 w/56mm F/1.2 and the A7III with my 85mm F/1.8. He was pretty proud of the fact that nobody could tell the difference and his APS-C body could match the look of a FF A7III. He is using a $1,200 lens to match the IQ of the $600 Sony FE. The Sony A7III with the 85mm F/1.8 FE is a $2,600 setup. Buying the new XT-3 with a 56mm F/1.2 is a $2,800 setup. He has the 90mm F/2 which is a great lens, but that's going to give you the look of a 135mm F/3.3 on the A7III and it really doesn't match the look of the Zeiss Batis 135mm APO or the Sigma 135mm ART. The Zeiss Batis 135mm is a lot more expensive than the Fuji 90mm F/2, but the Zeiss is an APO lens with amazing color and sharpness. The Sigma 135 ART is an F/1.8 lens that has excellent 3D pop and bokeh. The Fuji 90mm is a good solid lens, but even the 135mm F/2 Samyang is a better lens on a FF body. The Fuji 90mm would need to be an F/1.4 to match what you can do with a FF body and a 135mm F/2 lens and that would be a $2,000 lens.

I follow your work on Flickr and you have a very distinct look. I can spot your images without looking at the name because your look is so consistent (and partly because you always have beautiful subjects) . I assume you are using Lightroom, but this applies to C1 as well. You have default setting you can apply on import. You can customize this. A lot of people claim C1 does better than LR, and for some things it does, but really C1 just applies more contrast and sharpening by default so that the images import in looking better. If you import in a K-1 file into LR, DxO, & C1 you will 3 different looking images because the default setting are different. In the case of your K-1 and the A7III files that you are bringing into LR, the K-1 sensor doesn't have an AA filter and the A7III does. This just means that the A7III will need a little more sharpening and a little more contrast applied on import. I have 2 A9s and there is no AA filter on the A9, so I don't see the difference on import that you do. When I look at my A9 files and my K-1 files in LR they are very close. As a matter of fact, I use the Sony VSCO presets with my K-1 because the default color profiles are so similar. My K-1 beats my A9 in DR and resolution, but I shoot wedding and portraits, so I really don't have a need for 36MP. I end up brushing away skin detail that I never needed to capture in the first place and the rest of the "detail" is melted away in the Bokeh. It's very rare that I go into Photoshop and use frequency separation for fixing skin.

I think you will find it a challenge to use the K-1, XT-3, & A7III and maintain color consistency in your work unless you calibrate them all to the same color profile.
12-06-2018, 01:08 PM - 1 Like   #25
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Sony a7III with SMC Pentax D-FA 100mm f2.8

Red & White
by UnderOpenWater, on Flickr

Last edited by MikeW; 12-06-2018 at 05:00 PM. Reason: broken link
12-10-2018, 07:22 AM   #26
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by neokind Quote
I just picked up an early Super-Takumar 50/1.4. The rendering is beautiful, and I love the flaring too!
what adapter did you use?
12-13-2018, 10:05 PM - 5 Likes   #27
Pentaxian

12-14-2018, 10:33 AM - 1 Like   #28
Pentaxian

^ Nice.
12-14-2018, 06:09 PM - 1 Like   #29
Pentaxian

What a great shot...the composition, lighting...like the angle..the contrast between the sand and the sky...framed by the wooden structure...also person anchors this pix well. Exceptional !
12-15-2018, 12:34 AM   #30
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by The Squirrel Mafia Quote
^ Nice.
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
What a great shot...the composition, lighting...like the angle..the contrast between the sand and the sky...framed by the wooden structure...also person anchors this pix well. Exceptional !
Thanks guys!