Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-16-2018, 05:58 AM - 1 Like   #31
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

These are lovely and are the quality we have come to expect from your work, LeRolls. My concern is that we may be losing you. Were you ever able to get the FA*85 fixed?

12-17-2018, 06:30 AM   #32
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
These are lovely and are the quality we have come to expect from your work, LeRolls. My concern is that we may be losing you. Were you ever able to get the FA*85 fixed?
Thank you kindly. I have not sold any of my Pentax gear and don't have any plans to do so. Was unable to find anyone who could fix my 85 but I will patiently wait for the rumored new 85. Till then I still have hundreds of unedited K-1 RAW images to work on
01-02-2019, 08:50 PM   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LeRolls Quote
Since my Pentax 85 mm lens just died (was a good run) I will most likely be picking up the Sony 85 1.8 and be giving that sweet eye AF a try on my future shoots.
Hey LeRolls.,

What happened to your Pentax 85? Can it be repaired?
01-03-2019, 12:01 AM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Everyone I reached out to said that they do not cover that lens for repairs.
That's a shame. What happened to the lens though? I know there's a focusing gear that can crack, or did you drop it?

Nice shot BTW

01-03-2019, 05:25 AM   #35
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by krazykat Quote
That's a shame. What happened to the lens though? I know there's a focusing gear that can crack, or did you drop it?

Nice shot BTW
Probably the focusing gear went bad. It was working one day then nothing the next. I can manually focus it but no AF.
01-03-2019, 04:00 PM   #36
Veteran Member

Everyone I reached out to said that they do not cover that lens for repairs.

Like I said it was a good run. If Pentax decides to release a new 85 1.4 and possibly a mirrorless body with improved AF then I will give it a try. Till then I will mostly be sticking to the Sony and Fuji systems.[COLOR="Silver"]
It looks like the D-FA* 85mm F/1.4 is being pushed back to 2020, but maybe they will have a camera with modern AF and speed by then.

The K-1 RAW files are some of the best, and the camera is great to work with as far as ergonomics and the feel. But AF speed, accuracy, and buffer are very limiting for anything other than slow paced studio work.

I love the Sony 85mm F/1.8, but I don't really like the cats-eye bokeh. You should rent the 100mm STF. Its going to give you some different colors and the bokeh is very unique. I'm not sure what you like or don't like about the Sony colors, but switching to the GM version of the lens or the 100mm STF is going to give you a warmer look. The Batis 135mm is also going to give you more vivid colors. A new 135mm GM should be announced this month.
01-04-2019, 11:56 PM   #37
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
It looks like the D-FA* 85mm F/1.4 is being pushed back to 2020, but maybe they will have a camera with modern AF and speed by then.

The K-1 RAW files are some of the best, and the camera is great to work with as far as ergonomics and the feel. But AF speed, accuracy, and buffer are very limiting for anything other than slow paced studio work.

I love the Sony 85mm F/1.8, but I don't really like the cats-eye bokeh. You should rent the 100mm STF. Its going to give you some different colors and the bokeh is very unique. I'm not sure what you like or don't like about the Sony colors, but switching to the GM version of the lens or the 100mm STF is going to give you a warmer look. The Batis 135mm is also going to give you more vivid colors. A new 135mm GM should be announced this month.
I have researched the 100mm STF. It is an interesting lens for sure. I think I could be very interested in a Sony 135mm.

01-05-2019, 11:26 AM   #38
Veteran Member

I have researched the 100mm STF. It is an interesting lens for sure. I think I could be very interested in a Sony 135mm.
Don't overlook the Batis 135mm. A lot people don't like it because it's F/2.8, but if you are trying to get the full body in focus, like you seem to typically do, then F/2.8 is fast enough. The APO design mean the lens has basically no chromatic aberrations and color accuracy and micro-contrast is very high. It's going to give you the equivalent performance of the Fuji 90mm F/2 in terms of bokeh and DoF, but the sharpness, contrast, & color are going to be better and AF is really fast. I think it funny when people who own the Fuji 90mm F/2 tell me that my Batis 135mm F/2.8 is too slow.
01-06-2019, 11:29 AM   #39
Veteran Member

01-09-2019, 01:39 PM - 1 Like   #40
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Not terribly interested in the Sigma to be honest.
Me neither. 1600 bucks and 3.62 pounds. Great output though.
01-09-2019, 03:00 PM   #41
Pentaxian

Tamron Adaptall-2 3.5/200mm
Attached Images

01-10-2019, 12:55 PM - 1 Like   #42
Veteran Member

New Sony patents discloses details about the new 135mm f/1.8 and 100mm f/1.4 FE lenses! - sonyalpharumors sonyalpharumors

The 135mm F/1.8 is expected to be announced this month. The 100mm F/1.4 has never been leaked, or at least I have never heard about it. The Sigma and the Nikon 105mm F/1.4 have both been very successful lenses that I'm sure bring high margins for their respected companies. Sony used some new elements/glass to make the 400mm GM and 24mm GM really light compared to the competition. Hopefully we will see this same technology in the 135mm and 100mm GM.
01-12-2019, 11:04 PM   #43
Veteran Member

Yes, could be very interesting. I can see going for either one of those depending on weight, size, and price. I like the A7III but miss the extra megapixels if I'm being honest. Might go for the A7R4 when it gets released if the 60 megapixels are true.
I have the 100mm STF and the 135mm Batis so I don't know what I will do. I love the 100mm STF just for the unique look and the 135mm Batis for the size/AFspeed/color/sharpness. I will probably buy the 100mm F/1.4 since I think that complements my 100mm STF. They are very different lenses, but I don't know about the 135mm F/1.8. Which means I'll end up buying both of them.

I love the RAW files of the K-1 and I want more megapixels, but I don't really need them. I shoot at pretty wide apertures and really only stop down to F/5.6 when I have strobes setup and I'm in studio with a back drop. So say 1/3 of my image is filled with my subject and really of that 1/3 only the face and whatever falls into that 8"-10" or so DoF. Let's say 25% of my image is in-focus. Now I'm going to smooth the skin of my model, so I really don't need or want to to capture 60MP of skin blemishes. I want hair and eyes to be sharp, but skin soft. Do I need 60MP to capture bokeh (75% of my image)? I love the big files and awe factor of zooming in 1:1 and seeing detail, but for what I do its just wasted resolution. I was talking to a professional portrait and fashion photographer about switching from Nikon D800 over to M4/3 Olympus and he said the same thing. Why capture a whole lot of detail that you have to smooth away in post. You only need resolution for whats in focus because its wasted on the out of focus areas. If you are shooting architecture or landscapes with everything in focus then you need the megapixels. I'm not trying to capture detail in my out of focus areas, I'm trying to destroy detail and melt it away. You can print a poster with 24MP. I want better DR and better color, but I don't need more than 24MPs... But I really do want it. I want a Fuji GFX-100 when it comes out, but I know its not going to add anything to the quality of my work. My A9s aren't going anywhere for a couple more years.... Unless they really improve DR and color depth on the A9II, but I don't see that happening.
01-13-2019, 12:46 AM   #44
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I like the A7III but miss the extra megapixels if I'm being honest. Might go for the A7R4 when it gets released if the 60 megapixels are true.
If Pentax releases a FF mirrorless with improved AF and a newly redesigned 85 1.4 say in 2020 then I will most likely give it a try. I am interested in the GFX 100 for the medium format video capabilities.
Having played a bit with a bunch of medium format files, all I can say is that from full frame to full frame, the main difference is about camera (AF etc) implementation, it feels like all FF sensors from Sony give more or less the same output, like different versions of an engineer with constant cylinder volume. Medium format has the higher volume cylinder, immediately feel the difference when moving the sliders: the MF files have noticeably more room to the sliders. No need of 100Mp, the GFX50s (or 645z) sensor beats any variant of FF sensor out there. I would tend to say that FF is now for the masses, and medium format is for professional works in model/fashion.
01-13-2019, 08:16 AM   #45
Veteran Member

I'm thinking for pics I would really like a GFX 50R and the 110 f2.
I've played with the 50S and I found the AF to be rather slow. Everything the camera does seems slow. But the 110 F/2 is a pretty special lens on the slightly larger format. The XT-3 is the first Fuji camera that is actually fast enough to work without slowing you down. Fuji is doing pretty will with white balance as well.