Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 10 Likes Search this Thread
06-29-2018, 04:22 AM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

How Nikon line up compares to pentax?

Hi!

What are the equvivalent lenses in Nikon word to the following lensis in image quality first and then in price range? (FF lenses)
FA* 24
FA 31
FA 43
DA* 55
FA 77
DFA 100 macro

Are there any small lenses with great image quality? Are these WR? Is there a better line up for F mount then the Sigma Art primes?

I made a similar thread for Canon lens line up:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/76-non-pentax-cameras-canon-nikon-etc/37...es-pentax.html
And for sony:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/76-non-pentax-cameras-canon-nikon-etc/37...es-pentax.html

Last edited by 08amczb; 08-16-2018 at 01:38 PM. Reason: Related thread link added
06-29-2018, 04:39 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Their smaller lenses are mostly older designs. They don't have a limited line up like Pentax:

DSLR Lenses, SLR Lenses | Camera Lens | B&H
06-29-2018, 04:45 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
What 24, 35, 50, 85, 105/135 primes would you buy for a Nikon D750/D810/D850? The limiteds are kepping me with Pentax, but I would like to know better the other systems.
06-29-2018, 04:53 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I wouldn't know but when considering Nikon you should also take into account the Sigma and Tamron and Tokina line up. I don't know much about Nikon lenses since they won't fit my camera and can only be adapted to it with a glass element. Head over to a Nikon forum and ask there, would be my advice.

06-29-2018, 05:01 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
On a Nikon forum the 90% of the users don't know the Pentax lenses. I'am courious about the opinion of the pentax users who use/used Nikon also. (Like Adam, if'am correct. )
07-02-2018, 06:51 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yes I think Adam has/had and 850
07-03-2018, 06:57 PM   #7
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by 08amczb Quote
What 24, 35, 50, 85, 105/135 primes would you buy for a Nikon D750/D810/D850? The limiteds are kepping me with Pentax, but I would like to know better the other systems.
Tamron 35mm f/1.8, 45mm f/1.8, 85mm f/1.8 all have in lens image stabilization and are rather sharp.

They aren't limited small though. The limiteds are only that small because they lack an in lens motor and the IS is in the camera body. So they are a bit of a different animal in that regard.

If you're just looking for a nice quality f/1.8 prime with IS then the Tamrons are worth consideration for the Nikon bodies.

105mm lenses are interesting.. Are you wanting something fast for portraits? or more all-purpose with a bit of macro? You'll get different recommendations based on your answer. Nikon make a nice 105 f/1.4E prime but its around 2200 USD and there is no IS. They also make a decent 105mm f/2.8 Micro (macro) lens but it is also a little steep at 800 USD. Sigma make a version of that which is slightly sharper but lacks the rubber ring at the mount. I have that version for my D750 and it is lovely.

Sigma also make a f/1.4 competitor that's around 1600 dollars but it's so heavy it has a tripod mount haha. oh and no IS.

New mirrorless Nikon bodies coming within a few months from now.. supposed to have in body image stabilization and a new mount. Also supposed to be pricier. It should be interesting to watch how that plays out and also how pricing plays out on current gear.

07-03-2018, 08:03 PM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nikon makes nice f/1.8 primes at 24, 35, 50 and 85mm, and a highly regarded 105/2.8 macro. That's probably as close as you'll get.
None are as compact as their Pentax counterparts, but they are definitely smaller than the sigma Arts.
07-03-2018, 08:28 PM   #9
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Nikon makes nice f/1.8 primes at 24, 35, 50 and 85mm, and a highly regarded 105/2.8 macro. That's probably as close as you'll get.
None are as compact as their Pentax counterparts, but they are definitely smaller than the sigma Arts.

Yes good point.. thanks for mentioning that.

I specifically didn't mention those since there is no IS on them... outside of the 105 f/2.8 micro. And I figured if you're used to Pentax you're used to having IS one every single lense (due to IBIS).

Yet the Nikon f/1.8G are a lot smaller and lighter than the Tamron f/1.8 VC lenses. So if size and weight are your highest values (over having IS) then go with the Nikons.

We are kind of spoiled in K mount by having small and IS lenses. Too bad about the screwdrive though.. as long as you don't buy D series lenses you don't have to deal with that in F mount. all G and E series have af drive motors in them.
07-04-2018, 01:51 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks, I never calculated with the Tamron primes.

For F1.8/F1.4 primes in general IS not so important, because the subject (people) moves more than my camera. Are the G and E series lenses work on the Nikon F5/F6? Do they autofocus? I suppose the G series work, but the E not. The tamrons work on film cameras?
07-04-2018, 01:02 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Keep going, guys. This is interesting.
07-04-2018, 01:32 PM   #12
mee
Veteran Member

Here is a size comparison between my DA50 f/1.8 and my Tamron 45mm f/1.8

Pentax crop lenses (even the non-pancakes) are TINY. (of course they have no motor or IS inside and cover a smaller image circle, which is why they can be that small but still..)

The D-FA* 50 f/1.8 will be larger than the Tammy.

I think Pentaxians have a sharp awakening once they handle these D-FAs haha... we're kind of spoiled in the crop world.
Attached Images

07-04-2018, 01:42 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Here is a size comparison between my DA50 f/1.8 and my Tamron 45mm f/1.8

Pentax crop lenses (even the non-pancakes) are TINY. (of course they have no motor or IS inside and cover a smaller image circle, which is why they can be that small but still..)

The D-FA* 50 f/1.8 will be larger than the Tammy.

I think Pentaxians have a sharp awakening once they handle these D-FAs haha... we're kind of spoiled in the crop world.
Pentaxiians like me won't have a sharp awakening, because I can't imagine what would ever posses me to buy such a lens. The ones who have been asking for those lenses won't have a sharp awakening, more like a joyful celebration because that's what they've been asking for.

Assuming that Pentax acts like a OEM manufacturer and goes overboard to make a quality product, it's the Sigma and tamron owners that are in for the sharp awakening. They bought all this gear thinking they were getting something they couldn't get from Pentax. The problem for them will now be, they are now using lenses for which there is a better Pentax altenative and they'll just be folks who went for the cheap solution, not the quality solution, which is what Tamron and Sigma gear was in the past.

Sometimes there are these little wrinkles where for a while, the 3rd party guys have an edge. Then things return to the way they were. Once the Pentax 50 1.4 is released is anyone going to care even bit about your Sigma 50 1.4? Your time of rubbing it in everyone's face is over. Back to "well if you can not afford the Pentax, you might like this Sigma Art lens. It's almost as good."

Last edited by normhead; 07-04-2018 at 01:52 PM.
07-04-2018, 01:42 PM   #14
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by 08amczb Quote
Thanks, I never calculated with the Tamron primes.

For F1.8/F1.4 primes in general IS not so important, because the subject (people) moves more than my camera. Are the G and E series lenses work on the Nikon F5/F6? Do they autofocus? I suppose the G series work, but the E not. The tamrons work on film cameras?

If you don't value IS then maybe go with the Nikon G series. They're smaller, lighter, and cheaper than the Tamrons. I think the Tamrons are sharper but at fastest aperture (at least the 45mm) has CA issues in bright settings. It hasn't been an issue for me though... if you've shot with Pentax lenses you're used to dealing with CA and fringing anyways (the limiteds are not immune to this).

There are trade offs in each of these lenses... one is either cheaper and lighter but no IS and a bit less sharp.. and the other counters the formers weaknesses. I think the Tamrons are middle ground between the 'ultimate' IQ of the Sigma Arts and the decent but aging G series Nikons. But there is no 'right' answer here.

However E series lenses will not work on your film bodies. Here is a little guide on Nikon lenses: Which NIKKOR Lens Type is Right for Your DSLR | Understanding NIKKOR Lens Nomenclature from Nikon
07-04-2018, 01:46 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The tamron is bigger what I tought. It may be even bigger than the DA*55 which I leve home sometimes because of the size...

Does the tamron has a similar IQ to the FA43?