Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-04-2018, 01:51 PM - 1 Like   #16
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Pentaxiians like me won't have sharp awakening, because I can't imagine what would ever posses me to buy such a lens. The ones who have been asking for those lenses won't have a sharp awakening, more like a joyful celebration because that's what they've been asking for.

Assuming that Pentax acts like a OEM manufacturer and goes overboard to make a quality product, it's the Sigma and tamron owners that are in for the sharp awakening. They bought all this gear thinking they were getting something they couldn't get from Pentax. The problem for them will now be, they are now using lenses for which there is a better Pentax altenative and they'll just be folks who went for the cheap solution, not the quality solution, which is what Tamron and Sigma gear was in the past.
I'm more concerned for some of those who are asking for high quality, fast lenses for their Pentax FF body haven't yet fully realized just the trade offs that come with that (namely size and weight).

It is one thing to see it in a photo and read a specs sheet... it can be another to carry it in your hand for a few hours. Especially if you're used to something like a 28-105 or the DA50.

I don't think the Sigma and Tamron owners are in for any sharp awakening because if they left Pentax FF for another brands system then they likely didn't highly value the body choice(s) in Pentax FF at the time too. I look at it as a package deal... bodies and lenses ( as well as accessories such as flash and shutter triggers).

Both Tamron and Sigma have turned the page in the past say 5 to 8 years. They're not the old brands they used to be. Not quite OEM but really nice.

07-04-2018, 01:59 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks, mee, you answared my question about the FA43/Tamron 45. I will check the lens compatibility article too.

While I considered system switching, I realized I can solve the problems with Pentax and I would loose important features, so I am staying. Altough I still want to know the other systems.
07-04-2018, 02:02 PM   #18
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by 08amczb Quote
The tamron is bigger what I tought. It may be even bigger than the DA*55 which I leve home sometimes because of the size...

Does the tamron has a similar IQ to the FA43?

Not fully sure I'm qualified to answer your question. I've only seen output online taken with the FA43 and a couple pro reviews. I think IQ wise they're comparable.. I've had to soften portraits with the Tammy because they seemed too sharp to me at times. I like the rendering though and nicely sharp at f/1.8 but it does pop more between f/2 and f/2.8 ime.

The 43 seems to have a sharp center that needs to be stopped down to get the edges to even. The Tamron is much more even across the frame even at fastest ap. I guess that is one advantage to dealing with its size..

Of course the 43 is almost pancake tiny. So there were compromises to make it that small..
07-04-2018, 02:02 PM   #19
mee
Veteran Member

Thanks, mee, you answared my question about the FA43/Tamron 45. I will check the lens compatibility article too.

While I considered system switching, I realized I can solve the problems with Pentax and I would loose important features, so I am staying. Altough I still want to know the other systems.

You're welcome. Yes there are interesting pros and cons to each system.

07-06-2018, 10:39 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Someone should say, go handle both camera/lens combos and decide for yourself. All opinions here are pro Pentax only, in a Nikon forum they would be pro Nikon - and there are many reasons for several current Nikon lenses and cameras. Take your camera of choise with a lens you like and try it. Check performance, feel, ...
07-06-2018, 11:16 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I will try a Nikon, but my friend who has one only onws the 35, 50, 85 F1.8 Nikon primes. I would like to know the line up a little more.
07-06-2018, 02:20 PM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The tamron is bigger what I tought. It may be even bigger than the DA*55 which I leve home sometimes because of the size...

Does the tamron has a similar IQ to the FA43?
Interesting. I have always thought of the DA*55 as small. The hood is monstrous but the lens is still very nice to carry.

07-06-2018, 02:43 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
Interesting. I have always thought of the DA*55 as small. The hood is monstrous but the lens is still very nice to carry.
For me the DA15, FA31, FA43, FA77, F50, DA35 are the small lenses (fits in the small pouch on my belt), the FA*24, DA*55, DFA100, DA10-17 FE, DA18-135 is the medium sized lenses (fits in the bigger pouch) and the DA*16-50, DA55-300PLM, sigma 10-20 F3.5, DA*200 are the big lenses, while the DA*50-135 is the enourmous. My bag can hold 3 small, 2 medium and 1 big lens, so total of 6 lenses or two to three small lenses insted of one medium/big.

I like compactness.
07-06-2018, 03:38 PM   #24
mee
Veteran Member

For me the DA15, FA31, FA43, FA77, F50, DA35 are the small lenses (fits in the small pouch on my belt), the FA*24, DA*55, DFA100, DA10-17 FE, DA18-135 is the medium sized lenses (fits in the bigger pouch) and the DA*16-50, DA55-300PLM, sigma 10-20 F3.5, DA*200 are the big lenses, while the DA*50-135 is the enourmous. My bag can hold 3 small, 2 medium and 1 big lens, so total of 6 lenses or two to three small lenses insted of one medium/big.

I like compactness.
I'm not sure fast, modern primes are up your alley then. At least FF sized ones.

Starting point is usually around DA* 16-50 size and weight and can easily swell to 50-135 size or larger (and much heavier).

My Sigma 105mm f/2.8 macro is roughly the same size and weight as the DA* 50-135mm

The new Pentax 50 f/1.4 and the Sigma 50 f/1.4 Art are in the same size/weight category too as the 50-135mm.

If you really value compactness I'd stick with either a crop system or maybe G series f/1.8 primes if going for full frame F mount. Things can get out of hand easily in FF land
07-07-2018, 04:10 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The Sigma 50 Art is big, but not that big:
Compact Camera Meter

I'am staying with pentax for now, the K-1 is reasonably sized and the FA limiteds are small and high quality lenses.
07-07-2018, 05:17 PM - 1 Like   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Here is a size comparison between my DA50 f/1.8 and my Tamron 45mm f/1.8

Pentax crop lenses (even the non-pancakes) are TINY. (of course they have no motor or IS inside and cover a smaller image circle, which is why they can be that small but still..)

The D-FA* 50 f/1.8 will be larger than the Tammy.

I think Pentaxians have a sharp awakening once they handle these D-FAs haha... we're kind of spoiled in the crop world.
That has more to do with a different lens philosophy than FF vs crop. Look at legacy 50mm lenses from every manufacturer from the film era. In those days it was expected that wide open the fast fifties would be lower resolution and vigetting was accepted. A segment of today's photo market is demanding fast lenses with edge to edge sharpness and minimal vignetting.
07-08-2018, 08:29 AM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
That has more to do with a different lens philosophy than FF vs crop. Look at legacy 50mm lenses from every manufacturer from the film era. In those days it was expected that wide open the fast fifties would be lower resolution and vigetting was accepted. A segment of today's photo market is demanding fast lenses with edge to edge sharpness and minimal vignetting.
We have all become spoiled brats when it comes to equipment.
07-08-2018, 09:06 AM - 1 Like   #28
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Thanks, I never calculated with the Tamron primes.

For F1.8/F1.4 primes in general IS not so important, because the subject (people) moves more than my camera. Are the G and E series lenses work on the Nikon F5/F6? Do they autofocus? I suppose the G series work, but the E not. The tamrons work on film cameras?
according to Nikon french website : Nikon

Les objectifs NIKKOR de types D et G transmettent aux boîtiers AF Nikon les informations de distance par rapport au sujet. Ces objectifs permettent ainsi des progrès technologiques comme la mesure matricielle 3D et le dosage automatique flash/ambiance par multi-capteur 3D.
Remarque : Les objectifs NIKKOR de types D et G transmettent les informations de distance par rapport au sujet aux appareils photo suivants : Exposition auto ; F6, F5, F100, F90X, F80, F75, F70, F65, F60, F55, F50, PRONEA S, PRONEA 600i, gamme D2, gamme D1, D100 et D70s/D70.
Commande du flash ; F6, F5, F100, F90X, F80, F75, F70, gamme D2, gamme D1, D100 et D70s/D70."

Google Translate
QuoteQuote:
NIKKOR type D and G lenses transmit the distance information to the Nikon AF cameras. These objectives as well as the technological progress like the 3D measurement and the automatic metering flash / atmosphere by multi-sensor 3D.
Note: NIKKOR Type D and G lenses transmit distance information to the following items: Auto Exposure; F6, F5, F100, F90X, F80, F75, F70, F65, F60, F55, F50, PRONEA S, PRONEA 600i, D2 range, D1 range, D100 and D70s / D70.
Flash control; F6, F5, F100, F90X, F80, F75, F70, D2 range, D1 range, D100 and D70s / D70. "
there is no precision about G and E lens working on which body.
for G you need to be able to set aperture directly on the body.
for E the body need to be able to handle the electromagnetic aperture.

---------- Post added 8th Jul 2018 at 06:10 PM ----------

I like compactness.
you can have a look on even older "D" series of Nikon lenses. Some of them are still very good by today standards. And way cheaper to get. it's worth to have a look.
07-12-2018, 07:32 AM   #29

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
We have all become spoiled brats when it comes to equipment.
It's because we live in a time where people want immediate results. We all know that experience trumps equipment every time. I can make good pictures with any equipment because I've been doing it since film. I worked my way into better equipment as my capacity to fully utilize it expanded. Now people drop $5K for their first system and instantly they are pros, can make good pictures in spite of their lack of experience, and because with digital you can take 1000 photos, get 100 good ones and impress like you know how you made those. Even with digital I still photograph like I'm using film. I compose, and most the time even if I take 15 of the same shot, the first one is the best. Good equipment is nice, but nothing replaces practice.
07-12-2018, 07:38 AM - 1 Like   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by OhioAngie Quote
It's because we live in a time where people want immediate results. We all know that experience trumps equipment every time. I can make good pictures with any equipment because I've been doing it since film. I worked my way into better equipment as my capacity to fully utilize it expanded. Now people drop $5K for their first system and instantly they are pros, can make good pictures in spite of their lack of experience, and because with digital you can take 1000 photos, get 100 good ones and impress like you know how you made those. Even with digital I still photograph like I'm using film. I compose, and most the time even if I take 15 of the same shot, the first one is the best. Good equipment is nice, but nothing replaces practice.
I have been looking through older photos for the post count and consistently the older cameras K-7, K5, Q, photos impress me. I think the main advantage of the recent DSLRs from Pentax is better controls and features. The pictures were already good long ago.