Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-07-2018, 10:25 AM   #1
Pentaxian

How Canon lineup compares to Pentax?

Hi!

Similar to my other thread: How Nikon line up compares to pentax? - PentaxForums.com I am courious how canon lens lineup compares to Pentax (including thirdparty).
I have the FA* 24, FA 31, FA 43, DA* 55, FA 77, DFA 100 macro, DA*200 officially full frame compatible lenses.
-The similar priced lenses has a similar IQ?
-What are the lenses which has a similar IQ?
-Is there any small lenses like the FA limiteds?

I don't want to change system, but I would like to know a little more about the other systems. I would like to hear opinions from (ex)pentax users.

I've created a thread for sony too: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/76-non-pentax-cameras-canon-nikon-etc/37...es-pentax.html

Last edited by 08amczb; 08-16-2018 at 01:38 PM.
07-07-2018, 11:00 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Your comparison threads are an interesting idea. I read the Nikon one although I know nothing about Nikon. Guess I know a little more now though. It should work the same here.
07-08-2018, 05:43 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Any Canon users here?
07-08-2018, 06:23 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Long ago i used an AE-1, and a few FD lenses. The FD 85 1.8 was quite small and well made, and I've use several other FD era lenses. In modern gear the only Canon exotics i have us with consumer grade apsc bodies and zoom lenses. The lens was fragile and didn't instill confidence.

07-08-2018, 08:12 AM   #5
mee
Pentaxian

I would like to help you here but I have limited Canon experience.. I have used a 60D and a T4i for awhile but other than that have only handled Canon cameras in store. I will say the physical controls are a bit unique (dial placement) and they all felt a bit more plasticky than what you'd find at Pentax (or even Nikon; though Pentax has the best feel imo).

The 'prosumer' 6D has a quieter shutter and a better feel (feel imo) than the 'professional' 5D IV which cost twice as much. It is an interesting thing..

The bigger aspect to Canon is the L series lens lineup that covers full frame (EF)... as well as the STM pancakes for crop (EF-S) If I were going to buy into a brand based on just lenses it would be Canon (but I'd never do that!).
07-08-2018, 08:28 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think it interesting, although probably irrelevant, that there seem to be so many more PF members who are familiar with Nikon than those familiar with Canon.
07-08-2018, 08:46 AM   #7
mee
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
I think it interesting, although probably irrelevant, that there seem to be so many more PF members who are familiar with Nikon than those familiar with Canon.
That is an interesting point and one I've too noticed. So please allow me a divergence from the thread topic...

For me, Nikon is like a brother to Pentax. They're unique entities that have gone their own ways, but they still retain some similarities. Namely the same or similar sensors and a bigger attitude or appeal as a photographers brand. Again IMO.

Canon is a bit different. They seem more like a lens company that happens to have camera bodies to me. Perhaps that is an old way of thinking about selling cameras.. but I think the body setup makes Canon ideal for different types of photography than a Nikon or Pentax (namely they sacrifice low ISO DR for higher ISO applications). And they are a bit of a brand name outside of photography groups. I've found people who haven't ever held a dedicated camera know what Canon sells.. which means when joe novice looks for a camera they generally seek Canon (at least as one of their primary choices). Even my local walmart has a couple Canon entry crop bodies on display.

And this rings true for me.. of all the people I know that own a DSLR but don't actively use one.. they all own a Canon (outside of the lady I sold my K-x to). From coworker grandpas to my optometrist. Whenever we get into hobbies and I mention Photography, if they have a camera it is a Canon. Marketing the brand to non-photographers in the 80s and 90s really helped elevate them I think..

07-08-2018, 08:52 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
That is an interesting point and one I've too noticed. So please allow me a divergence from the thread topic...

For me, Nikon is like a brother to Pentax. They're unique entities that have gone their own ways, but they still retain some similarities. Namely the same or similar sensors and a bigger attitude or appeal as a photographers brand. Again IMO.

Canon is a bit different. They seem more like a lens company that happens to have camera bodies to me. Perhaps that is an old way of thinking about selling cameras.. but I think the body setup makes Canon ideal for different types of photography than a Nikon or Pentax (namely they sacrifice low ISO DR for higher ISO applications). And they are a bit of a brand name outside of photography groups. I've found people who haven't ever held a dedicated camera know what Canon sells.. which means when joe novice looks for a camera they generally seek Canon (at least as one of their primary choices). Even my local walmart has a couple Canon entry crop bodies on display.

And this rings true for me.. of all the people I know that own a DSLR but don't actively use one.. they all own a Canon (outside of the lady I sold my K-x to). From coworker grandpas to my optometrist. Whenever we get into hobbies and I mention Photography, if they have a camera it is a Canon. Marketing the brand to non-photographers in the 80s and 90s really helped elevate them I think..
This is a good analysis. I have often noticed that I just generally have more positive responses to the Nikon equipment I see in use than to the Canon. Probably irrational but perhaps atavisitic
07-08-2018, 09:09 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
This is a good analysis. I have often noticed that I just generally have more positive responses to the Nikon equipment I see in use than to the Canon. Probably irrational but perhaps atavisitic
Serious Canon shooters, (not the low end follower types) tend t be more into action. The kind of people who don't mind 22 MP as long as they had 15 FPS. IN that regard, they are probably the most unlike Pentax shooters. The D800, is basically a K-1 five years sooner, so far more overlap.

It's the same with the Sony A9. Another great camera that attracts little interest from Pentax shooters.
07-08-2018, 09:21 AM   #10
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Long ago i used an AE-1, and a few FD lenses. The FD 85 1.8 was quite small and well made, and I've use several other FD era lenses. In modern gear the only Canon exotics i have us with consumer grade apsc bodies and zoom lenses. The lens was fragile and didn't instill confidence.
How quickly did the lens fail?
I ask because in twenty years of being a Canon user, I never had a lens fail on me.
07-08-2018, 09:47 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by 08amczb Quote
Any Canon users here?
Long ago i used an AE-1...
First camera was a Fuji ST-901, which was sold while in Army basic training, when I bought a black Canon EF sitting next to a silver Pentax. The price was the same ($300 in 1976!), but black was enticing and it had a faster sync speed. Got the 15mm FE, 24mm 2.8, 35-105, 100-200, and Sigma 600mm. Eventually got an AE-1 with winder, and later a T90 which I never really liked and I think it had some "issue". That setup lasted quite awhile until I burned out on photography and lugging all the gear in the mid 90's and eventually sold it all.

Around 2006, I was interested in getting into digital and entered with a mighty Canon A95. It had a good review which included "low noise" so I thought it might be good in churches and similar places. Went through a progression of Canon P&S's to the S3IS, and S-20.

Decided digital was good but I need a better camera. Googled around, saw Pentax, recalled the one on the shelf 30 years earlier, and was convinced because they had the 10-17 FE. Got the K-100D, the 10-17, a Sigma 18-50 (sharpest lens at 24mm that Photodo (?) had ever tested, and a Sigma 70-300 ("the best budget zoom") all in the same weekend.

Eventually got all the stuff in my sig. I was happy with it until I had repeated focusing issues with the K-5/Sigma 150-500 combo at airshows. Lack of focus was the issue.

About this time the highly-touted Tamron 150-600 came out. Of course no Pentax mount. Decided to get a used Canon 40D to put on the back of the new Tamron, which worked much better. Just had to get the cheap 50mm 1.8 as well.

Maneuvering 2 systems was not practical, so I bit the bullet and started selling my Pentax gear. This was about the time the Pentax full-frame was near, so the used market seemed very soft and many of you got really good deals.

Eventually the 40D became the 70D and the 6D (both with excellent rebates). I bit a really big bullet and got the 17mm TSE which is awesome even when used conventionally. I got the new version 28mm 2.8 IS, and some used/refurbed lenses - 100L macro, 15-85, Tokina 10-17 FE, and 70-200 f4.

Here I am. Ironically, I only went to a few airshows after that (giving them a rest) and I don't get out much entertainment-wise after being laid off in Sept 2016 and funds have become tight.

I have no regrets about switching. Pentax was fun (except one K-5 repair was $275). Canon is fun, with better AF (thought the 15-85 occasionally gives me dark/black frames).

Pentax K-100D, Sigma 18-50 @50, 1/350, f6.7 ISO 200:

Canon 70D, Sigma 17-70 @17mm, 1/125, f5.6, ISO 100:

Last edited by SpecialK; 07-08-2018 at 07:19 PM.
07-08-2018, 01:02 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
How quickly did the lens fail?
I ask because in twenty years of being a Canon user, I never had a lens fail on me.
That lens, a 15-85 I think, failed 3 separate times and was repaired each time out of warranty. It was very plastic and cheap feeling. The lens zoom kept sticking anytime you zoomed to the wide end. The repair was $300 each time. I didn't feel bad about sdm after that.
07-08-2018, 01:56 PM   #13
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter

That lens, a 15-85 I think, failed 3 separate times and was repaired each time out of warranty. It was very plastic and cheap feeling. The lens zoom kept sticking anytime you zoomed to the wide end. The repair was $300 each time. I didn't feel bad about sdm after that.
Obviously not the usual case. Canon has made many many lenses. Canon often uses lightweight materials for their lenses, which makes NIkon and Pentax users uncomfortable, but they have have many many happy customers.
07-08-2018, 02:04 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Obviously not the usual case. Canon has made many many lenses. Canon often uses lightweight materials for their lenses, which makes NIkon and Pentax users uncomfortable, but they have have many many happy customers.
I suspect that this isn't any more or less common than Pentax repair. But it was an indication of owner expectations that he was willing to pay 3 times to repair it. I was underwhelmed.
07-09-2018, 12:54 AM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by 08amczb Quote
Hi!

Similar to my other thread: How Nikon line up compares to pentax? - PentaxForums.com I am courious how canon lens lineup compares to Pentax (including thirdparty).
I have the FA* 24, FA 31, FA 43, DA* 55, FA 77, DFA 100 macro, DA*200 officially full frame compatible lenses.
-The similar priced lenses has a similar IQ?
-What are the lenses which has a similar IQ?
-Is there any small lenses like the FA limiteds?

I don't want to change system, but I would like to know a little more about the other systems. I would like to hear opinions from (ex)pentax users.

Alternatives to FA 24mm f2:
- 24mm f/1.4L II USM
- 24mm f/2.8 IS USM
- TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II
- Sigma 24mm f/1.4 Art

I don't know the FA24mm lens and it seems that it's not in production anymore so I can't tell you how this lens compares to the others.

Alternatives to FA 31mm f1.8 are the 35mm lenses or the 28mm lenses:
- 35mm f/1.4L II USM
- 35mm f/2 IS USM
- 28mm f/1.8 USM
- Sigma 35mm f/1.4 Art
- Tamron SP 35mm f/1.8
or
- 28mm f/2.8 IS USM

The new 35mm f1.4L lens is among the best 35mm lenses regarding the format. The FA 31mm lens wins when comes to price, size and weight but in terms of build quality, water resistance, autofocus, sharpness, chromatic aberation there is no contest between these 2 lenses. Tamron 35mm f1.8 and Canon 35mm f2 IS are closer to FA31mm in general performance.

Alternatives to FA 43mm f1.9 and DA55mm* f1.5 lenses:
- 50mm f/1.2L USM
- 50mm f/1.4 USM
- 50mm f/1.8 II
- 50mm f/1.8 STM
- 50mm f/2.5 Compact Macro
- Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art
- Tamron SP 45mm f/1.8
- Canon TS-E 45mm f/2.8 Tilt-Shift Lens

Here is difficult. FA43mm lens is quite an interesting lens and it renders completely different than the others. Tamron 45mm f1.8 would be my choice if I would have to choose from all the above Canon alternatives.

Alternatives to FA 77mm f1.8:
- 85 mm f/1.2L II
- 85mm f/1.8
- 85mm f/1.4L
- Sigma 85mm f/1.4 Art
- Tamron SP 85mm f/1.8

Canon 85mm f1.4L is an impressive lens, but is heavy and expensive. I own one and I owned FA77mm lens which I replaced later with DA70mm lens on K-3 II. To me, FA77mm lens is too slow to focus and it has too much chromatic aberations. It has a distinct randering (like the canon 85mm f1.2L lens) but to me DA70mm lens was the lens closer to my needs. Tamron 85mm is also a very nice alternative.

Alternatives to D-FA 100mm f2.8 macro:
- 100 mm f/2.8
- 100 mm f/2.8L

I had D-FA 100mm macro lens and I liked it very much. Canon is similar in terms of performance, but is heavier.

Alternatives to DA* 200mm f2.8:
- 200mm f/2L IS
- 200mm f/2.8L II

Similar in terms of performance, price and weight.