Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-16-2018, 05:23 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
Price rumours are...45mp @ $4700ish so over a 100 per mp!

....24mp @$2900 so even more

Native lenses??? 24-70mm ...35 and 50mm primes.

Official news around a week away(if ya wanta believe rumours,ha ha ha)!
I don't see that happening unless the 24MP version is an A9 killer and the 45MP body is an A9r type of camera. There is too much competition in the market for Nikon to be successful at that price point unless these cameras blow away the rest of the market. I don't see a first generation body coming close to doing that.

07-16-2018, 07:57 AM   #32
Pentaxian

From what I've been reading the 24mp model is to compete against the A7 series, not the A9. Shipped with a 24-70 kit lens, the rumored $2900US is inline with the Sony A7III + 24-70 kit.

I have little doubt Nikon can deliver on IQ and build quality. For me, Nikon ergos have been better than Sony, so I have little doubt about delivery there.

The adapter will be the big make-or-break issue for some (many?) existing Nikon shooters. There are some very vocal people making noise about not caring about the new system if they cannot use their old lenses. Rumor sites have mentioned Nikon working on a very complex and expensive adapter that will allow full use of even the older D-series AF lenses. If shipped with cameras, that may account for the price approaching Sony premiums.

It will be interesting (to me anyways) to see what Nikon actually releases. Honestly, I hope they knock the ball out of the park.

IMHO and YMMV
07-16-2018, 09:57 AM - 1 Like   #33
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentikonian Quote
From what I've been reading the 24mp model is to compete against the A7 series, not the A9. Shipped with a 24-70 kit lens, the rumored $2900US is inline with the Sony A7III + 24-70 kit.

I have little doubt Nikon can deliver on IQ and build quality. For me, Nikon ergos have been better than Sony, so I have little doubt about delivery there.

The adapter will be the big make-or-break issue for some (many?) existing Nikon shooters. There are some very vocal people making noise about not caring about the new system if they cannot use their old lenses. Rumor sites have mentioned Nikon working on a very complex and expensive adapter that will allow full use of even the older D-series AF lenses. If shipped with cameras, that may account for the price approaching Sony premiums.

It will be interesting (to me anyways) to see what Nikon actually releases. Honestly, I hope they knock the ball out of the park.

IMHO and YMMV
I hope they release a class leading camera. If the price includes a pro quality 24-70mm Then I could see the kit being over $4,000. Sony really needs some competition in the FF mirrorless market. Looking at how well they did with the D850, I have high hopes. I won't switch to Nikon anytime soon, but it could be a possibility in a couple of years if Sony doesn't improve in some areas and Nikon does it right.
07-16-2018, 07:09 PM   #34
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Wow that will really pressure Sony to drop their prices...

/sarc

The price is assumed to include a 24-70 f/4

Looking at the A7iii kit with a 24-70 f/4 shows a very similar price. If that is base price then they'd have problems. A7iii body is $2k so it isn't outrageous. Same price as a k-1 ii right now.

Then again the D850 is apparently flying off store shelves still.. and that's a 3300 dollar body.

Sony's body prices aren't tremendous comparatively.. it is their native lenses that are priced a bit extravagantly. Thankfully there seems to be enough adapters that it doesn't seem to be a major issue, as well as 3rd parties picking up the slack. I suspect Nikon mirrorless lenses will be pretty expensive too.. but not Sony expensive (hopefully) and the same adapters and 3rd parties should be around.

/not-sarc-despite-your-snarc-so-you-can-disembarc-on-biting-remarc(s)

Last edited by mee; 07-16-2018 at 09:17 PM. Reason: their=there
07-17-2018, 02:09 AM   #35
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
The price is assumed to include a 24-70 f/4

Looking at the A7iii kit with a 24-70 f/4 shows a very similar price. If that is base price then they'd have problems. A7iii body is $2k so it isn't outrageous. Same price as a k-1 ii right now.

Then again the D850 is apparently flying off store shelves still.. and that's a 3300 dollar body.

Sony's body prices aren't tremendous comparatively.. it is their native lenses that are priced a bit extravagantly. Thankfully there seems to be enough adapters that it doesn't seem to be a major issue, as well as 3rd parties picking up the slack. I suspect Nikon mirrorless lenses will be pretty expensive too.. but not Sony expensive (hopefully) and the same adapters and 3rd parties should be around.

/not-sarc-despite-your-snarc-so-you-can-disembarc-on-biting-remarc(s)
Sure, it is a similar price. I guess my point is that Nikon isn't trying to undercut Sony. Sorry if the sarcasm wasn't appreciated. I'm not very interested in either of these cameras, but their pricing could affect the prices of Pentax's full frame cameras going forward.
07-17-2018, 03:58 PM   #36
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Sure, it is a similar price. I guess my point is that Nikon isn't trying to undercut Sony. Sorry if the sarcasm wasn't appreciated. I'm not very interested in either of these cameras, but their pricing could affect the prices of Pentax's full frame cameras going forward.
Oh for sure not. But how low is low? I think 2 grand for what Sony and (assumedly) Nikon will be offering in the 24-25 MP FF camera is acceptable.

I don't like it and won't pay over 1500 for it (which is already a stretch) but that seems to be the going market price for such a caliber camera these days.

I think 2 grand is the line these days for that style body... another thousand more bucks for the higher MP count.

But Ricoh didn't follow that guide since they used the older gen sensor (err 'tried and tested' hehe) and didn't go crazy on AF or burst depth performance, so maybe they'll stick to the 2 grand line for their bodies. It looks like one at a time for Pentax too so they can't price to the moon if they expect their buyers to actually buy their single serve FF DSLR body on the market.

And no worries, was just playing along with you on the quip
07-17-2018, 04:20 PM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
"The promo materials should include dancers."

Oh thank god they kept that feature..
I stoped and read that line again too. what is that!

07-17-2018, 04:49 PM   #38
Pentaxian

A little more info.

and not confirmed.

The 3 lenses will be available on release with 3 more announced that will come in 2019.

The adapter will have a fixed mirror similar to the SLT thingo in the Sony imitation(dsl?)Anyone for translucency?
07-18-2018, 12:09 PM   #39
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The adapter will have a fixed mirror similar to the SLT thingo in the Sony imitation(dsl?)Anyone for translucency?
That's not good. That would imply that the new Nikon sensors don't have PDAF on sensor and Nikon has to build an adapter with a PDAF sensor.
07-18-2018, 01:02 PM   #40
Pentaxian

The only thing I've seen regarding an adapter with a translucent mirror is a filed Nikon patent discussed last year. But I'm not following every site where this is being discussed, so that may have changed.

Nikon knows how to do mirrorless OSPDAF - they had it on the Nikon 1 series, and from the people I know who use them, they mention how good the AF is on those cameras. I seriously don't see Nikon releasing any new MILC with less-effective AF than they had on the Nikon 1.

edit - as for why they would do an adapter with mirror and in-adapter PDAF, I really don't know, unless for some reason it will ensure compatibility to all previous AF F-mount lenses.

Last edited by Pentikonian; 07-18-2018 at 01:05 PM. Reason: add comment
07-18-2018, 06:04 PM   #41
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentikonian Quote
unless for some reason it will ensure compatibility to all previous AF F-mount lenses.
Yes, i think so.The reference i saw was to the patent....so speculation is high as to what actually arrives.
07-18-2018, 06:46 PM   #42
mee
Veteran Member

Yes, i think so.The reference i saw was to the patent....so speculation is high as to what actually arrives.
They file lots of patents as does Ricoh.. I don't think just because they patent something that an actual product is coming from it every time.
07-18-2018, 06:59 PM   #43
Pentaxian

I don't think just because they patent something that an actual product is coming from it every time.
Of Course,however the "Nikon talk" is pointing the way of that patent according to some commentators.I'm sceptical seeing i follow the ABC rule.With this sort of stuff i preface a post with"unconfirmed" or something similar.

The rumours sometimes are 100% accurate and sometimes not.

We know that FF M/L is the target market that CaNik want to penetrate to retain clients and stop the leaks.$$$ony spruiked(i think late last year)that they had become 2nd highest seller of FF bodies(in Nth America).It was over a short period which i cant remember the exact details of....I'm sure Nikon were far from happy!
07-18-2018, 07:24 PM   #44
mee
Veteran Member

Of Course,however the "Nikon talk" is pointing the way of that patent according to some commentators.I'm sceptical seeing i follow the ABC rule.With this sort of stuff i preface a post with"unconfirmed" or something similar.

The rumours sometimes are 100% accurate and sometimes not.

We know that FF M/L is the target market that CaNik want to penetrate to retain clients and stop the leaks.$$$ony spruiked(i think late last year)that they had become 2nd highest seller of FF bodies(in Nth America).It was over a short period which i cant remember the exact details of....I'm sure Nikon were far from happy!
Ohh. Phew! I see now I didn't understand what you meant by the smile followed by the 'and not confirmed' statement. I you were joking about it not being confirmed or if you knew more than what was confirmed and the smile was a coy way to imply that.

I think it better to just say 'The adapter is rumored' than 'the adapter is' with the smiley not confirmed. At least that really threw me off and I thought you were definitively saying it was because you knew.
07-18-2018, 07:36 PM   #45
Pentaxian

the adapter is'
In the patent only at this stage, so its 50:50 whether the one in the patent is the actual one used.However,ive not seen another patented adapter speculated about so i think theres a reasonable chance that the mirrored one is "the" one to use the DSLR lenses with.

Now, Nikon aborted 3 cameras a while ago,so until the things are in the stores its all speculation.Also talked about was the fact that we are still "in" the 100th year of Nikon(ends in a few days) so Nikonites strongly believe an announcement of FF M/L will happen very soon.

Its all interesting,wait and see.