Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-11-2018, 07:11 AM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

Nikon Mirrorless Specs

Nikon kills their Nikon 1 line and gets ready to launch the first two Full Frame mirrorless (rumored specs). - sonyalpharumors sonyalpharumors

07-11-2018, 07:24 AM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

This will be fun to watch. Note that the rumor emphasizes ergonomics. That is a clear poke at Sony.
07-11-2018, 07:36 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Is this an actual Nikon sourced leak, or just more "fantasy writing" from these rumors blogs that keep trying to generate clicks with nothing but speculation taken out of their behinds? Considering the source, probably the latter.
07-11-2018, 07:48 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
With these specs, the price is going to be D850 territory. 9 fps, in body stabilization, and 450 auto focus points. The biggest question is with regard to lenses and that is what will really tell if these cameras will do serious battle versus Sony or not. If Nikon can have better quality and keep the size of their lenses controlled, then this will be a serious competitor in the marketplace.

07-11-2018, 08:03 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Interesting! We'll have to wait and see =)
07-11-2018, 08:25 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Yawn. So what? That sounds like a lame copy of Sony's already unimpressive viewfinderless cameras. Once they sell south of $1000 that might be interesting for some as a second body.

Nikon copied Canon yesterday and got nowhere and now they start copying Sony and will get nowhere.

The Sony fans should be happy though. it will drive Sony gear prices down.
07-11-2018, 08:36 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
Yawn. So what? That sounds like a lame copy of Sony's already unimpressive viewfinderless cameras. Once they sell south of $1000 that might be interesting for some as a second body..
Where does this article say anything about "viewfinderless"??
The direct analogy is to a "Nikon Df", which most certainly does have a viewfinder.

07-11-2018, 08:50 AM   #8

To quote the blog:

QuoteQuote:
EVF resolution: 3.6 million dots
07-11-2018, 08:54 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Interesting. They're talking about ergonomics (something that Sony kind of lacks) & they're gonna implement a 5-axis IBIS system. I wonder how Sony & Canon are going to counter attack. Competition is good.
07-11-2018, 09:24 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by The Squirrel Mafia Quote
Interesting. They're talking about ergonomics (something that Sony kind of lacks) & they're gonna implement a 5-axis IBIS system.
But when I ask for a camera the size of my old Super Program, people howl in anticipated anquish - they say ergonomics is all wrong without a "proper" grip.

From the picture, the Nikon Df is the same kind of camera, so how can they say "like Df" and "good ergonomics" in the same article?
07-11-2018, 09:39 AM - 3 Likes   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The term ergonomics in popular usage has become meaningless. Generally in ordinary web speack it should just be read " what I like".
07-11-2018, 11:13 AM - 1 Like   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
Is this an actual Nikon sourced leak, or just more "fantasy writing" from these rumors blogs that keep trying to generate clicks with nothing but speculation taken out of their behinds? Considering the source, probably the latter.
Given it is on the Sony Rumors site, I would suggest its purpose is to feed on Sony owner angst and generate clicks as a result.

Steve
07-11-2018, 11:30 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Given it is on the Sony Rumors site, I would suggest its purpose is to feed on Sony owner angst and generate clicks as a result.

Steve
Given that Nikon us using Sony sensors (just like Ricoh) it is good news for Sony. Part of the cost of the Sony A7/A9 line is that those sensors are only used by Sony. If they can get Nikon on board with mirrorless and buying the stacked BSI sensor for the A9 and the 42MP sensor from the A7rIII line it should help lower sensor cost. These will directly compete with Sony and that is good news for Sony owners. Sony needs competition.

Its not click bait. Nikon fan boys have been talking about a new Nikon A7III/A7rIII competitor and they expect it to be announced in September. Canon will also have one on display.

By the way, why do you care if it generates clicks or not?

---------- Post added 07-11-18 at 01:31 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
The term ergonomics in popular usage has become meaningless. Generally in ordinary web speack it should just be read " what I like".
True, but Sony ergonomics do suck. I wish they would let Ricoh or Olympus design and build their bodies.

---------- Post added 07-11-18 at 01:40 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
With these specs, the price is going to be D850 territory. 9 fps, in body stabilization, and 450 auto focus points. The biggest question is with regard to lenses and that is what will really tell if these cameras will do serious battle versus Sony or not. If Nikon can have better quality and keep the size of their lenses controlled, then this will be a serious competitor in the marketplace.
Sigma will quickly take their Sony FE mount ART lenses and transition them to the new Nikon mount. That's 18 pro-grade lenses that can be used on the new Nikon mirrorless cameras within a few months. I'm also sure Nikon will have an adapter for existing Nikon glass ready at launch. Sony has been very successful at stealing Canon customers with adapted glass. More successful than I ever thought they would be.
07-11-2018, 11:43 AM   #14
Pentaxian

It will take some time for the lens portfolio to be attractive and eventually fix some issues of the first Nikon mirrorless model, and that time will give us Pentaxian plenty of time not to rush on buying the wrong system. Having the K1 and DFA lenses gives plenty of time to wait and see what products are going to be making up a new generation. Sony were pioneering full frame mirrorless, but I bet companies such as Nikon and Canon have such an extensive experience at making cameras that they can avoid the mistakes of Sony and bring something really really good to market. Sony were going through trial and errors and while the specs are impressive, using the Sony A7/A9 series is rather disappointing from a photography standpoint. I like the Leica SL very much, the specs aren't as impressive as Sony's , but the image output from the Leica SL with Leica glass appeals much more then image outputs from the Sony. I've tried a Leica SL and a Sony A7. I was really impressed by how modern the Leica SL is. Leica SL is modern, in a way that it uses the technology available crafted with the goal to be quick and pleasing to control by the user. I look forward to have Nikon or Canon bring something with great ergonomics and robust design, that is everything that Sony doesn't do well.

---------- Post added 11-07-18 at 20:52 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
True, but Sony ergonomics do suck
Once Nikon deploy their new mirrorless system, you might want to sell your Sony system and invest into the Nikon system.

Last edited by biz-engineer; 07-11-2018 at 11:50 AM.
07-11-2018, 11:58 AM   #15
Pentaxian

BTW: Nikon users seem to believe that the announcement is less than two weeks away {July 23, to be precise}, and that the actual release will be roughly a month after that.