Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
07-11-2018, 05:57 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'll have to watch the used market more closely for a back up. I picked up a J1 with the 10-30mm and 10/2.8 pancake along with the underwater case (B&H was clearing the cases out @$50). There are a few design decisions that make me go WTF?, but the performance for its size it's easily been worth the price I paid used. With the pancake it's a fantastic pocketable camera.

07-11-2018, 06:32 PM   #17
Unregistered User

I am sad to see its demise, it was the only real competition the Q had, the lenses for it were fantastic (albeit $$$) and the sensor was first rate. Without IBIS however, it was not nearly as usable with adapted lenses as the Q and didn't seem to catch the experimenter's fancy.
07-12-2018, 03:10 AM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My guess is that sensor development for this size has just stagnated and while you can add more features, eventually you feel like you are at a dead end in terms of improvements you can put into your cameras. I don't think Pentax is officially certain on the Q. If a better sensor fell their way, they might go with it. On the other hand, they certainly aren't devoting a lot of resources to it.
07-13-2018, 02:23 PM - 5 Likes   #19

Shame, though totally expected as it always seemed a bit half baked/underdeveloped/wilfully obtuse. I had a J1 then picked up a V1 even cheaper that still gets some use, can be a bit lacking in some departments but the AF and metering remain impressive today and the burst rate can be a boon for picking your moment:

Always wanted to try the FT1 adapter, guess it might be the time to find one.

07-13-2018, 03:55 PM   #20
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
My impression is that it was a "silent kill-off" but more effective than Pentax's "continuing to support" the Q-system.
I'm glad they officially they threw it on the 'discontinued' page of their website... not just forever letting it languish in silence.

But it is easier to truly discontinue a product though when you have something to 'replace' it.

True, a large dollar, larger sized FF setup is not exactly a replacement, but I think the tech and knowledge they got from the 1 series is directly relatable to their future FF bodies upcoming this year. Perhaps 1 was even just a testbed to the 'end game' FF products?

What I'd really have liked to have seen was the DL lineup... namely the one with the ultrawide angle zoom. That would have been nice for hiking, minus the MSRP of $849.

Nikon's biggest issue is they price their compacts to the moon. I think it was a factor with 1 series too.
07-14-2018, 02:43 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by digitalCG Quote
Always wanted to try the FT1 adapter, guess it might be the time to find one.
good luck with the adaptor, I see it priced at £200 on Amazon which sort of sums up the peculiar (and often high) price structure in the 1 series which cannot have helped in trying to establish the system
07-14-2018, 09:14 AM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Compact cameras, even interchangeable lens cameras seem to be meeting hard times.

07-14-2018, 11:58 AM - 1 Like   #23
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Johndav Quote
good luck with the adaptor, I see it priced at £200 on Amazon which sort of sums up the peculiar (and often high) price structure in the 1 series which cannot have helped in trying to establish the system
That's the going price for any quality AF adapter these days. The Canon EF-M to EF adapter is the same price... Metabones is twice as much. Sigma MC-11 somewhere in the middle between the two.
07-14-2018, 12:36 PM   #24
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
Compact cameras, even interchangeable lens cameras seem to be meeting hard times.
I think the issue is interchangable compacts are in a tight spot. They're not pocketable but they're not as high quality like a aps-c or ff mirrorless ilc system. Worst of both worlds.

Advanced compacts seem to be a niche that is doing okay. Ricoh GR, Sony RX100, Canon G9... they seem to be in that sweet spot of 'better' than smartphone but still pocketable like a smartphone.
07-14-2018, 02:02 PM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
I think the issue is interchangable compacts are in a tight spot. They're not pocketable but they're not as high quality like a aps-c or ff mirrorless ilc system. Worst of both worlds.

Advanced compacts seem to be a niche that is doing okay. Ricoh GR, Sony RX100, Canon G9... they seem to be in that sweet spot of 'better' than smartphone but still pocketable like a smartphone.
I think you have put your finger on it. These camera you mention are still pocketable and have larger sensors so they are easily portable and still have pretty good IQ.
07-15-2018, 12:39 AM   #26
Veteran Member

My J5 does live in my jacket pocket, but I take your point - I have a waxed jacket type coat and it annoys my wife because the camera bulk is noticeable and that's with the fairly compact 18.5mm
07-26-2018, 07:20 PM   #27

I still have a couple cameras from this system. When they first came out they were my go to cameras, I loved the features, and they have fantastic focusing ability. But over time I use them less, so am not surprised by the announcement.
07-27-2018, 11:39 AM   #28
Death89

QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
I think you have put your finger on it. These camera you mention are still pocketable and have larger sensors so they are easily portable and still have pretty good IQ.
You also then have the effect of cameras like the Canon M100 (which I'm trying not to buy at the moment), being APS-C and being about the same size, not truly pocketable, but jacket-pocketable/small belt case.

I've only been put off the GR's by the fact they're more expensive here in the UK and difficult to come by new (not keen on the used idea due to the numerous reports of dust inhalation!).

The 1 series and Q series did appeal to me but were just too expensive for the IQ as far as I could see it. As a Pentax fan I'd like a Q to play with but my budget constraints make me feel I don't want to use the money on something not likely to be worth using much of the time (most of my photography is of the kids these days and the Q would struggle to ROI in my mind).

Nice ideas both, but just too expensive I for what they offer I feel. A big shame all the same.
08-25-2018, 06:46 PM   #29

At least in the US, there were some amazing deals on the 1 series a few years ago, with a camera and lens priced incredibly low. That is when I bought them, and I still use them, they have amazing features and though smaller sensors with good light get amazing images.
08-26-2018, 01:15 AM   #30
Veteran Member

I'm struggling to see any deals at the moment. Looking at Amazon, the prices have either held up or no new lenses are available. I suspect Nikon have learned a lesson and allowed stocks to run down before it became clear the system would be developed no further. A real shame because the J5 has turned out to be a lovely, easy-to-take-anywhere camera