Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-19-2018, 07:46 PM   #16
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by skierd Quote
40 is too long on a aps-c sensor for general work. I use 40 a lot but for what I’d use a compact camera for (travel, snapshots, etc) a wide ish to wide is much better.

Ahh I see. I'd use this more for people / friends photos and outdoors shots of stuff from a number of feet away.

Maybe different ones would be neat? Nikon DL line was supposed to be like that (despite being zooms).. 3 different compacts with 3 different focal ranges. I could use the ultrawide one for travel too but the standard for other stuff.

Then again if they can just ramp the resolution, then cropping becomes easier... so there is that. Can't decrop to zoom out... hah!

07-19-2018, 07:50 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Ahh I see. I'd use this more for people / friends photos and outdoors shots of stuff from a number of feet away.

Maybe different ones would be neat? Nikon DL line was supposed to be like that (despite being zooms).. 3 different compacts with 3 different focal ranges. I could use the ultrawide one for travel too but the standard for other stuff.

Then again if they can just ramp the resolution, then cropping becomes easier... so there is that. Can't decrop to zoom out... hah!
I think the slightly longer converter is part of the package, as well as a wider one. They have them for GR camera too I think. I guess they just attach to the lens
07-19-2018, 08:37 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
It's a neat-looking little camera, but it's clear to me that they had a long, hard look at the GR during its development.
07-19-2018, 09:20 PM   #19

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
It's a neat-looking little camera, but it's clear to me that they had a long, hard look at the GR during its development.
I can't decide whether Ricoh should be flattered at the similarities in style or be upset and call it a design ripoff.

07-19-2018, 09:22 PM   #20
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by awscreo Quote
I think the slightly longer converter is part of the package, as well as a wider one. They have them for GR camera too I think. I guess they just attach to the lens
Now that's interesting. As long as their isn't much (hopefully any noticeable) degradation of the image quality that would suffice I suppose. Only issue I'd have with that is then the camera is no longer pocketable. But I guess we can't have it all..

Then again, if it is no longer pocketable then why not just bring something a bit larger and more functional?

Not to get too far off topic (again), but I wonder if a m4/3 based compact would help shrink the optics any?
07-20-2018, 03:50 AM - 1 Like   #21
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

And here I thought the X70 was a GR copy I wonder if they have updated the lens. I don't think the X70 lens was quite up there with the GR lens (which is fantastic).

Umm, and fixed screen? The flip-screen was the one thing on the X70 I could wish to have on my GR. And I'm not ready to give up the physical controls, either. Fuji will have to try harder to get this customer on board
07-20-2018, 03:53 AM   #22
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Only issue I'd have with that is then the camera is no longer pocketable.
Yes, that's the reason why I don't have any of the converters. The 18.3mm lens is already reasonably wide, and it's sufficiently sharp to let you crop some (even better with a 24MP sensor, I expect).

Oh, and why 18.3? Try multiplying that with the crop factor of 1.53

07-20-2018, 05:51 AM   #23
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Two features surprise and disappoint me about this camera:

First, the lack of an auto-closing cover on the front of the lens means the glass is going to be covered in pocket lint, dust, and fingerprints in no time.

Second, what's that white ring doing inside the lens? Anything inside a lens should be either totally transparent or totally matte-black. That ring is going to fog the image and reduce contrast especially given the camera's lack of a deep hood.
07-20-2018, 06:06 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Seems like a very nice and capable little camera. I didn't realize the converter is digital rather than optical like on the GR, I wonder how much image quality suffers, given that it keeps full resolution. Panorama mode looks very easy to use, and can replace an UWA extension.
07-20-2018, 10:05 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Now that's interesting. As long as their isn't much (hopefully any noticeable) degradation of the image quality that would suffice I suppose. Only issue I'd have with that is then the camera is no longer pocketable. But I guess we can't have it all..

Then again, if it is no longer pocketable then why not just bring something a bit larger and more functional?

Not to get too far off topic (again), but I wonder if a m4/3 based compact would help shrink the optics any?
The adapter lenses for the X100 cameras aren’t supposed to affect IQ. Both adapters and a X100 would make a small travel kit, not pocketable but small for sure.

I don’t think the size of the optics are the issue. For example my Olympus XA takes 35mm film and fits in my pocket. At some point you’ve got to be a certain size to get the lcd, buttons, switches, shutter, etc in the thing, and it’s gotta be used by human hands.
07-20-2018, 10:27 AM - 2 Likes   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Expect more from a mod.

You guys set the tone in more ways than you probably think..

Whose posts? They don't seem to be here...

Yet that is the basis of generalizing and being abstract. The issues you seem to have seen aren't even on topic in this thread, you're just bringing more negativity into a thread that didn't otherwise have it, by complaining about negativity that isn't even here!

But without proof your claim is indeed an abstract generalization.... or more succinctly a strawman.

Yet you completely changed the topic of discussion here to rant at unknown people who seemingly aren't even commenting in this thread.

Pointing out that complaining about complainers is just another form of complaining isn't meant to invalidate the complaints, but point out the hypocrisy of trying to snuff out the complainers through complaining about them.

As I said, I figured you were above the nonsense of complaining about complainers as a means to somehow having meaningful conversation. So it comes as a shock to me to see you falling into the same hole as some of our more ...enthusiastic... 'brand fans' in a thread otherwise without issue.

But thanks.
I think another brand can release a good camera without it being a loss for Ricoh or even a sign that Pentax is doomed. I guess from a personal standpoint, I would prefer to post more to the positive side of things rather than running down particular brands.

There are a lot of good cameras on the market these days. Pentax still makes some of them.
07-20-2018, 10:42 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Seems like a preemptive strike against GR3. It'll be tough to find customers outside of their own ecosystem with fuji's much bigger marketing budgets.
07-20-2018, 01:03 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Given the price I wouln’t expect miracles. A good street camera needs to have very fast reliable focus, good ergos and be tough. No fumbling, it’s all about capturing a fleeting moment. That usually costs $$ to do well, and very careful design. We’ll see. It would certainly be tempting if the performance passes muster.
07-20-2018, 01:46 PM   #29
Pentaxian

A bottom end fun thingo, i dont know why they want to cater there? But no too long to wait and a couple of significant Fuji bodies will become official.

The Xmount lens roadmap is in the other thread.
07-20-2018, 05:22 PM   #30
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I think another brand can release a good camera without it being a loss for Ricoh or even a sign that Pentax is doomed. I guess from a personal standpoint, I would prefer to post more to the positive side of things rather than running down particular brands.

There are a lot of good cameras on the market these days. Pentax still makes some of them.
Did you mean to quote me on that or accident? My post doesn't seem to correlate with what you're stating under it.

Anyways yeah no one mentioned Pentax is doomed, just that Ricoh could be giving up some marketshare by not dropping an updated GR for so long. It just opens the doors for competitors. I'm not sure anyone here is really running down any brand so your comments are beyond me.

If anything, more competition makes Ricoh offer stronger products and/or at a lower price which is nice for the consumer.