Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
07-20-2018, 06:12 PM   #31
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Anyways yeah no one mentioned Pentax is doomed, just that Ricoh could be giving up some marketshare by not dropping an updated GR for so long. It just opens the doors for competitors. I'm not sure anyone here is really running down any brand so your comments are beyond me.

If anything, more competition makes Ricoh offer stronger products and/or at a lower price which is nice for the consumer.
I think the point here @mee is that we might focus on the rather interesting release of the seemingly-impressive XF10 in advance of the GR3 as a positive for Fujifilm - the point of the original post, IMHO - rather than a negative towards the Pentax brand, as expressed and introduced in another member's early reply... perhaps overstated and poorly so in my original responses, but my sentiments remain valid (for me, if not for you ).

I don't mean to speak for @Rondec here, as his post might refer to something different, but that's how I see it personally...

Last edited by BigMackCam; 07-20-2018 at 06:27 PM.
07-20-2018, 06:53 PM - 1 Like   #32
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Did you mean to quote me on that or accident? My post doesn't seem to correlate with what you're stating under it.

Anyways yeah no one mentioned Pentax is doomed, just that Ricoh could be giving up some marketshare by not dropping an updated GR for so long. It just opens the doors for competitors. I'm not sure anyone here is really running down any brand so your comments are beyond me.

If anything, more competition makes Ricoh offer stronger products and/or at a lower price which is nice for the consumer.
I think I meant to quote you and I suppose defend Big Mack Cam. The issue began with a poster choosing to attack Ricoh for being ossified and losing customers as a result. My experience is that Big Mack is fairly quick to encourage a more positive tone in these sorts of threads at which point you stepped in to defend the complainer.

I just want to see folks take a positive tone. I know you shoot with Nikon as well as Pentax. Big Mack shoots Sony as well as Pentax. A lot of folks do here. It is just nice if we can keep a positive over all tone.
07-20-2018, 08:09 PM   #33
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I think I meant to quote you and I suppose defend Big Mack Cam. The issue began with a poster choosing to attack Ricoh for being ossified and losing customers as a result. My experience is that Big Mack is fairly quick to encourage a more positive tone in these sorts of threads at which point you stepped in to defend the complainer.

I just want to see folks take a positive tone. I know you shoot with Nikon as well as Pentax. Big Mack shoots Sony as well as Pentax. A lot of folks do here. It is just nice if we can keep a positive over all tone.
Oh. I see it is just a differing of opinions. I think that member wasn't attacking Ricoh, so I was defending his right to air his opinion without being attacked by others (in this case Big Mack Cam).

It is interesting how one person can think one person is 'attacking' yet another can see it completely opposite. I think in the Non-Pentax section we should probably be a little more relaxed in trying to defend Ricoh/Pentax's honor. Leave the thought policing to the regular sections.

But you were late, Rondec, in your post. Me and Big Mack agreed to drop it yesterday and get back on topic

Last edited by BigMackCam; 07-21-2018 at 09:14 AM. Reason: Keeping it friendly
07-21-2018, 04:34 AM   #34
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Oh. I see it is just a differing of opinions. I think that member wasn't attacking Ricoh, so I was defending his right to air his opinion without being attacked by others (in this case Big Mack Cam).

It is interesting how one person can think one person is 'attacking' yet another can see it completely opposite. I think in the Non-Pentax section we should probably be a little more relaxed in trying to defend Ricoh/Pentax's honor. Leave the thought policing to the regular sections.

But you were late, Rondec, in your post. Me and Big Mack agreed to drop it yesterday and get back on topic
For the record, I didn't feel I was attacking anyone (including the member I replied to), but airing an opinion of my own. As you say, it's just a difference of opinions - not the first, and probably not the last... but all good

Now, how 'bout that XF10, folks?

07-21-2018, 04:54 AM   #35
Pentaxian

Fujifilm XF10 vs Ricoh GR II – The 10 Main Differences

Just one persons view.
07-21-2018, 05:13 AM   #36
Pentaxian

They made it look more like a GR but it isn't. It does have the advantage of a newer sensor and PDAF though. This probably won't convince any seasoned GR shooter.
07-29-2018, 09:35 PM   #37
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wife wants to get a smaller camera, narrowed it down to GRII or this new fuji. We figured either would be a nice travel option for us. I've looked through reviews, GRII seems to have a killer lens on it, but I'm wondering if the newer sensor on fuji would be a lot better? Haven't used GRII before, seems files get fairly noisy at around iso 1600?

Edit: actually grain in gr II is pretty pleasant, and seems to add to the image rather than take away.

Last edited by awscreo; 07-29-2018 at 10:42 PM.
07-30-2018, 05:59 AM   #38
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by awscreo Quote
Wife wants to get a smaller camera, narrowed it down to GRII or this new fuji. We figured either would be a nice travel option for us. I've looked through reviews, GRII seems to have a killer lens on it, but I'm wondering if the newer sensor on fuji would be a lot better? Haven't used GRII before, seems files get fairly noisy at around iso 1600?

Edit: actually grain in gr II is pretty pleasant, and seems to add to the image rather than take away.
I agree that the GR sensor doesn't do well beyond ISO 1600. The sensor is quite old (in tech terms, 5 years is an antique). The grain you mentioned works especially well for B&W conversion.

The biggest selling point for the GR is user interface, IMO. 2 control dials, 3 custom modes available on a dial, etc. I rarely need to use the menus after initial setup.

Last edited by DeadJohn; 07-30-2018 at 06:19 AM.
07-30-2018, 06:13 AM - 1 Like   #39
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
I agree that the GR sensors doesn't do well beyond ISO 1600. The sensor is quite old (in tech terms, 5 years is an antique). The grain you mentioned works especially well for B&W conversion.

The biggest selling point for the GR is user interface, IMO. 2 control dials, 3 custom modes available on a dial, etc. I rarely need to use the menus after initial setup.
I pulled the trigger on the GR II, should be here day after tomorrow the controls is what sealed the deal for me. Fuji seems bare compared to GR II, almost dumbed down. Plus I've looked through couple of hundred photos on Flickr, and didn't find grain to be an issue. I used to shoot with mft, so I've seen far worse high iso performance before
07-30-2018, 07:37 PM - 1 Like   #40
Veteran Member

Welp, I think the XF10 looks B.A. and the price point was awesome. I pre-ordered champagne gold from B&H. Hopefully it'll be here before the Michigan lake house vacation I'm taking in August. I'll let you know what I think. ;-)
08-03-2018, 07:25 AM   #41
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by severalsnakes Quote
Welp, I think the XF10 looks B.A. and the price point was awesome. I pre-ordered champagne gold from B&H. Hopefully it'll be here before the Michigan lake house vacation I'm taking in August. I'll let you know what I think. ;-)
Congrats Sara! Let us know how it works for you. I almost went with a X100f but ended up getting a Panasonic GX9 and the pancake 12-32 zoom as well as a whole new platform for LAD.
08-03-2018, 09:41 AM   #42
Veteran Member

I enjoy the GR II that arrived few days ago a lot, can't wait to hit the streets and see what I can get. However, my younger sister got excited about this camera too, but I'm wondering if she'd be better off with a XF 10, seems it's an easier camera to use (probably better af, more MP to crop in, possibly better iso performance, touch screen)? I enjoy the customization options of GR II, the build is awesome, and this lens is crazy sharp, but I wonder if a true beginner (and I'm not saying only beginners will get the XF 10) would be better off with the newer XF 10?

Also, I can't for the life of me find what materials are used in the XF 10 build lol, no one mentions it. Is it magnesium alloy?
08-06-2018, 10:11 AM   #43

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote

I mean what else to call it? It's hard to compete selling 5 year old cameras. Protracted release cycles do not inspire confidence or positivity.
08-06-2018, 10:53 AM - 1 Like   #44
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wjjstu Quote
I mean what else to call it? It's hard to compete selling 5 year old cameras. Protracted release cycles do not inspire confidence or positivity.
Pentax has taken to releasing cameras when they have something to release. That's all we can say. Right now it has meant that they have "protracted release cycles." It also means that they don't have a myriad of similarly specified cameras that they have to release every year or year and a half in order to meet some predetermined schedule.

I own several Pentax cameras and they measure up well against the competition, even if certain aspects of them are a bit long in the tooth.

I also expect the GR 3 to come out soon and to be very nice in its own way. I also wouldn't release a thread called "GR 3 released, Fuji XF10 killer?" That sort of thread title would probably whip up posters, but it would disparage a Fuji camera that is very nice.