Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-24-2018, 03:44 AM   #16
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: mid nth coast,nsw
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 5,608
So the latest "rumours"

Nikon will anounce in a month...last week of August.Theres a live online thingo booked in for 23rd.

Canon will follow in early Sept.

Wait and see both bodies @ photokina.

07-24-2018, 03:48 AM - 1 Like   #17
Pentaxian
D1N0's Avatar

Join Date: May 2012
Location: ---
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 6,426
According to this pic the mount has a 65mm diameter. That would be insensibly wide for 35mm. They may have gone for a MF or cropped MF.
07-24-2018, 03:54 AM   #18
Moderator
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
Sandy Hancock's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Adelaide Hills, South Australia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 9,810
I immediately thought medium format given the size of the mount.

When they say "Full Frame", it doesn't specify which frame.

Interesting times....
07-24-2018, 03:55 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Gladys, Virginia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 23,674
I'm sure they will be nice cameras. It does beg the question, if mirrorless cameras have similar performance and size to SLRs, then what is the point? I guess some prefer EVFs to OVFs and you can get away from shutter shock. Still, they seem more similar than different. In order to generate a certain level of performance and a particular level of build quality, you have to have a certain size camera. And zooms don't seem to be smaller either, only wide angle primes.

07-24-2018, 04:01 AM - 1 Like   #20
Moderator
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
Sandy Hancock's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Adelaide Hills, South Australia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 9,810
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
If mirrorless cameras have similar performance and size to SLRs, then what is the point?
Totally. I've never got it, but maybe I'm just a dinosaur.
Tiny body which needs a huge lens; who wins?

UNLESS it's medium format
07-24-2018, 04:06 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Gladys, Virginia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 23,674
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Totally. I've never got it, but maybe I'm just a dinosaur.
Tiny body which needs a huge lens; who wins?

UNLESS it's medium format
By all accounts it is 35mm, two cameras, on with a 24 megapixel sensor and the other with 40-ish megapixels. At least that's the rumor. I think the point of the huge mount is to allow for really fast lenses -- 0.9 apertures and such. That's the sort of lens that Sony can't make as the FE mount isn't wide enough.

At the same time, the cost of Leica lenses in that f stop range doesn't seem encouraging to the average photographer.
07-24-2018, 04:09 AM   #22
Moderator
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
Sandy Hancock's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Adelaide Hills, South Australia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 9,810
I don't really do rumours.

I'll be back when there are facts.

07-24-2018, 04:26 AM - 1 Like   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Digitalis's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Adelaide.
Posts: 10,229
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
I immediately thought medium format given the size of the mount.
...that or Nikon intend to make some absurdly fast lenses for the system - which would ironically, drastically reduce its compactness.
07-24-2018, 04:46 AM   #24
Pentaxian
D1N0's Avatar

Join Date: May 2012
Location: ---
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 6,426
It would mean Nikon is still trying to protect it's dslr business by competing with Fujifilm and Pentax MF. Also they would sell more lenses because F-mount wouldn't adapt to it, nor would any other 35mm lens mount. When the system is not perceived as a direct replacement of the F-mount, users have no reason to be p'd of because Nikon changed mounts. MF in mirrorless form is about the same size as a DSLR with large aperture lenses, so it would be more portable. Maybe they are squarely aiming at the marriage photography market, which is dominated by Canon.
07-24-2018, 04:53 AM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
ffking's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Llanelli, Wales
Posts: 5,473
As I said before, the image on the rear LCD is nor 6x4, so maybe the extra large mount accommodates semi-panoramic, 16x9 or whatever , croppable to 6x4?
07-24-2018, 05:06 AM   #26
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter
reh321's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: South Bend, IN, USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 19,690
QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
As I said before, the image on the rear LCD is nor 6x4, so maybe the extra large mount accommodates semi-panoramic, 16x9 or whatever , croppable to 6x4?
That is typical of MILC .... even my Q-7 does that.
07-24-2018, 05:13 AM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Digitalis's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Adelaide.
Posts: 10,229
A lot of this is conjecture, pedaling the rumor mill [ I'm quite happy to wait until we have hard data]. Whatever Nikon does they have to bring something unique to the market - something no-one else presently has. It would be disappointing to find Nikon comes out with a new camera only for it to be a SONY product in Nikon drag. Whatever Nikon has in the wings, has to have a distinct and compelling advantage over what currently exists - think about it. Medium format - Fuji and Hasselblad have already done that, and have both have received a lukewarm response from it*, SONY has already had great success with their Axx releases over the past year.



*At least among the AIPP and my independent colleagues across Australia.
07-24-2018, 06:00 AM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
ffking's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Llanelli, Wales
Posts: 5,473
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
That is typical of MILC .... even my Q-7 does that.
weird! - OK, my ignorance
07-24-2018, 06:53 AM   #29
Veteran Member




Join Date: May 2016
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 538
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
A lot of this is conjecture, pedaling the rumor mill [ I'm quite happy to wait until we have hard data]. Whatever Nikon does they have to bring something unique to the market - something no-one else presently has. It would be disappointing to find Nikon comes out with a new camera only for it to be a SONY product in Nikon drag. Whatever Nikon has in the wings, has to have a distinct and compelling advantage over what currently exists - think about it. Medium format - Fuji and Hasselblad have already done that, and have both have received a lukewarm response from it*, SONY has already had great success with their Axx releases over the past year.



*At least among the AIPP and my independent colleagues across Australia.
This got me thinking, what if (and this is an absurd "if"), nikon is planning to a crop MF camera but is starting with 35mm? Kind of how we have FF and APS-C sensors using the same mount. Imagine nikon making a singular mount for crop MF and FF.

Adapting F-mount lenses would still work on the new mount for a FF image size.
07-24-2018, 07:43 AM   #30
Pentaxian




Join Date: Feb 2015
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 8,746
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
It does beg the question, if mirrorless cameras have similar performance and size to SLRs, then what is the point?
We will see. Whenever we decide to upgrade our systems, it's good to have the choice. Who knows what that new Nikon system will be and how it will develop. Right now It is way too early to know.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
adapter, base, camera, camera equipment, cameras, canon, contacts, cr, discussion, glass, ii, k1, k3, lenses, mark, mirrorless, nikon, nikon mirrorless, pentax, post, size, sony, system, tablet, time, video, vs, youtube
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mirrorless sales collapsing worse than -30% in Japan the homecountry of mirrorless beholder3 Photographic Industry and Professionals 21 04-05-2017 04:58 AM
Nikon V1 and J1: the new mirrorless cameras from Nikon ogl Non-Pentax Cameras: Canon, Nikon, etc. 81 09-23-2011 02:11 AM
Misc Computer "teaser" photos vroom_skies Post Your Photos! 2 11-17-2009 11:43 AM
Just a teaser from my weekend little laker Post Your Photos! 9 06-05-2007 11:17 AM
An Orchid "teaser" NaClH2O Post Your Photos! 4 02-21-2007 11:44 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:16 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top