Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
You act as though products sold primarily on specifications
Which products?

07-27-2018, 04:48 AM   #77
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
What $$$ony equivalent?...there isnt one unless you are categorising by price.
I'm talking about price and category of these cameras. If I have to guess, there is a possibility that 6D Mark II to have more sales than any camera from Sony given the market share that Canon has.

The strongest Canon M/L rumour is for M5 mk ii....the FF stuff isnt strong and i havent see anything about 2 models(whereas Nikon has strong rumours of 2).
It's just a matter of time. Some sources say that the upcoming full frame mirrorless cameras are already in the hands of some photographers for tests. Even without an official press release from Canon, the release of a full frame mirrorless camera can't be far away. Nikon press release actually helps Canon because a lot of people I know are now more willing to wait a little longer to see what Canon full frame mirrorless will look like. They know that once Nikon made public the release of a mirrorless camera, Canon can't be far away.
07-27-2018, 05:03 AM   #78
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Dan Rentea Quote
Canon can't be far away.
Yes, some people may think that but only time will tell.Theres been "talk" of a Canon statement early Sept.
It's just a matter of time
Only time but how long, Father time knows!

there is a possibility that 6D Mark II to have more sales than any camera from Sony given the market share that Canon has.
Well,neither of us know that....the thing with Canon is exactlty how youve stated,they have such an enormous market share they can release a camera like the 6D ii and blind freddys will buy it in droves.

I hope the Canon is announced in Sept,my inquisitive mind likes to see new stuff.Can NikCan match $$$ony,as ive said before..."interesting times".
07-27-2018, 05:13 AM   #79
Veteran Member

MY prediction , Nikon and Canon will eat $$ony lunch. If $$ony start to loose market share, the big $$ony corp could cut them loose.
The main Reason , Canon and Nikon name are a lot more recognized in the general public for camera and for the pro, they know that they will get great support around the globe. This could be a repeat of Beta vs VHS.
It will be interesting to run a pro and con regarding these 3 guy for that Mirrorless business. Buy $ony only advantage is their 3rd version. But the key point for Canik if a consumer is ready to buy and find mirrorless to $$$, they can go down to almost anyprice point with these 2 brands.

07-27-2018, 05:14 AM   #80
Veteran Member

MY prediction , Nikon and Canon will eat $$ony lunch. If $$ony start to loose market share, the big $$ony corp could cut them loose.
The main Reason , Canon and Nikon name are a lot more recognized in the general public for camera and for the pro, they know that they will get great support around the globe. This could be a repeat of Beta vs VHS.
It will be interesting to run a pro and con regarding these 3 guy for that Mirrorless business. Buy $ony only advantage is their 3rd version. But the key point for Canik if a consumer is ready to buy and find mirrorless to $$$, they can go down to almost anyprice point with these 2 brands.
07-27-2018, 05:31 AM   #81
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
But most everyone was expecting the announcement to contain "Real Specs"; only a few Nikon Fanboys are happy with an alleged announcement that says nothing.
I think it's nice to know the rumors of it's existence is now official. It also means it should release soon-ish (pretending the nikon DL debacle didn't happen).
07-27-2018, 06:59 AM - 1 Like   #82
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
You act as though products sold primarily on specifications. If that were the case then maybe Sony would rule the marketplace, but the reality is somewhat different. Canon makes decent products, but as Dan says, they sell quite well and Canon has the market dominance at present.
I saw a Canon M-5 at a store

It felt like a Canon.

If I were still a Canon user, that is the MILC I'd be looking at.

07-27-2018, 06:59 AM   #83
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bobmaxja Quote
If $$ony start to loose market share, the big $$ony corp could cut them loose.
Despite the fact that I'm not a potential buyer of Sony cameras in the next 3-5 years, I do hope that Sony will still release competitive cameras even if Canon and Nikon will attack mirrorless market. Competition makes things more fun.
07-27-2018, 07:53 AM   #84
Pentaxian

Canon will start making mirrorless camera only after they run out of stock of mirrors. For me, the problem is, last time I looked through a Sony EVF, it blasted by left eye so I had to go to an eye doctor to recover vision again.
07-27-2018, 08:29 AM   #85
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Canon will start making mirrorless camera only after they run out of stock of mirrors.
They have made EOS-M series for at least four years already
07-27-2018, 01:54 PM - 1 Like   #86
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I saw a Canon M-5 at a store

It felt like a Canon.

If I were still a Canon user, that is the MILC I'd be looking at.
That's what I would expect. Nikon will make a Nikon-like MILC and Canon will make a Canon-like MILC. Both companies will reuse as much of their software, features, and user interface elements as they can to give existing customers an easy migration path to mirrorless. Thus, they will halt most of the Nikon->Sony and Canon->Sony switchers.

The interesting part will be the head-to-head-to-head competition for brand new ILC buyers who have no experience with Sony, Nikon, or Canon. Canon and Nikon are very well-known and respected professional camera brands. Sony has a decent reputation for consumer electronics. Whether first time ILC buyers gravitate to a camera brand or a consumer electronics brand will determine the marketshares of the three.
07-27-2018, 02:29 PM   #87
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Does anyone else find it amusing that news about camera industry "plans" is starting to dominate news of actual product releases? We had the Pentax 50mm, 85mm, 11-18mm, and now this

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-27-2018, 02:38 PM   #88
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
The interesting part will be the head-to-head-to-head competition for brand new ILC buyers who have no experience with Sony, Nikon, or Canon.
Well,how many newby ILC buyers will jump straight to a FF?...I'd guess that most would enter ILC via Pano/Oly or $$$ony/Fuji Apsc.

What is of interest is what level of advancement the NikCan products bring to market???...The A7iii sets a reasonable standard.

QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
Thus, they will halt most of the Nikon->Sony and Canon->Sony switchers.
Yes,of course...its the prime motivation for NikCan to enter FF ML. $$$ony have forced that through what they've done since the A7.

From all reports the Nikon promotion of the New FF is going to be BIG,they are going to try to out$ony $$$ony....Inviting lots of reviewers/celebraties ect....mega advertising,now thats going to be interesting.
07-28-2018, 03:32 AM   #89
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Going to be a tall task challenging Sony in this segment.
07-28-2018, 05:16 AM   #90
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Well,how many newby ILC buyers will jump straight to a FF?...I'd guess that most would enter ILC via Pano/Oly or $$$ony/Fuji Apsc.
Why is full frame a jump? Only the complexity and price of the camera, not the sensor size, are a hurdle for newbies and only for the less-confident newbies.

That said, if Nikon and Canon are serious about mirrorless, they will enter with a pretty high-spec advanced camera that attracts serious first-time ILC buyers. Later they might fill in the product line with entry-level MILCs for the newbies (e.g. mirrorless Rebels).

What is of interest is what level of advancement the NikCan products bring to market???...The A7iii sets a reasonable standard.
The biggest advancements that Nikon and Canon can offer are better user interfaces, decades more experience in camera making, and the cachet of a true photography brand. Its Sony that was late to photography.