Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 47 Likes Search this Thread
07-28-2018, 05:26 AM   #91
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Does anyone else find it amusing that news about camera industry "plans" is starting to dominate news of actual product releases? We had the Pentax 50mm, 85mm, 11-18mm, and now this
I think this is mostly Nikon fans, who hang on their every word. They haven't had much excitement since the D850, and that was cut short by announcement of the A7Riii a week later, so this non-announcement will just have to do.

07-28-2018, 05:28 AM   #92

For what price, let me sell my kidneys
07-28-2018, 04:03 PM   #93
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
Later they might fill in the product line with entry-level MILCs for the newbies (e.g. mirrorless Rebels).
Well Canon already have that with the M series.

The biggest advancements that Nikon and Canon can offer are better user interfaces
Many complain about the complexity of $$$ony but Nicholas said "its not that bad".I dont know,but the CaNiks that i own are a lot more confusing than the easier menus of Pentax/Samsung/Fuji/Panasonic.

decades more experience in camera making,
I suppose the linkage back to 1928 counts for zero?...And the fact $$$ony started making cameras for moving pppppictures in 1965?

and the cachet of a true photography brand
Traditionalists minds may exist now but they will die out,brands start and some finish.
07-28-2018, 04:24 PM   #94
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
Many complain about the complexity of $$$ony but Nicholas said "its not that bad".I dont know,but the CaNiks that i own are a lot more confusing than the easier menus of Pentax/Samsung/Fuji/Panasonic.
As soon as Sony has to use the word "Menu", they have lost. The point is that with my Pentax Q-7 and K-30, I virtually never use the menu system beyond the "Quick Menu" item I occasionally use to change ISO setting; most of the changes I want to make I can make with external dials. 39 months ago I was using a Canon Rebel, and my recollection is that the Rebel controls were very similar to the Pentax controls. External controls is where Canikon will be superior to Sony "straight out of the gate".

07-29-2018, 12:45 AM - 1 Like   #95
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
As soon as Sony has to use the word "Menu", they have lost. The point is that with my Pentax Q-7 and K-30, I virtually never use the menu system beyond the "Quick Menu" item I occasionally use to change ISO setting; most of the changes I want to make I can make with external dials. 39 months ago I was using a Canon Rebel, and my recollection is that the Rebel controls were very similar to the Pentax controls. External controls is where Canikon will be superior to Sony "straight out of the gate".
For those who think that Canon menu is not intuitive, they can configure their own menu and add there anything important to them, in the order they want. It is called My menu. I configured My menu in my camera and since then I don't have to access the general menu anymore. One push of the button and all the important things to me becomes available (af settings, bracketing, wifi, timelapse mode, etc.). I can add up to 30 options in My menu which is a lot more than I need given the fact that I have configured the dials and buttons also.

Sony added My menu in A9 and also in A7 III as I remember and that is a good thing because no one can create a menu better than the users. My menu makes even the most unintuitive menu look good.
07-29-2018, 12:58 AM   #96
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Dan Rentea Quote
My menu makes even the most unintuitive menu look good.
I really really like my menus

Setting the Multi selector center button to zoom in on preview.
This way I can quickly one button push zoom in on the AF point used for a quick check on AF accuracy
07-29-2018, 06:07 AM - 2 Likes   #97
Veteran Member

I haven't used a Canon since I sold my 5D original 5 years ago. With the A9 I rarely go into the menus once I have the camera setup. Sony has a ton of options in the menu system and the location of some of them doesn't make sense, but once you set it up you are ready to shoot. It's a lot like the Pentax JPEG processing. There are a lot of options and you have to take the time to learn them. Complaining about the Sony menus is a lot like people complaining about Pentax JPEGs not being as good as some other brands when they have never taken the time to adjust the JPEG processing of their camera.

08-02-2018, 09:07 AM   #98
Pentaxian

More teasing:
08-02-2018, 09:53 AM   #99
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Nikon Teases New Mirrorless Camera | New Camera News
08-03-2018, 06:53 AM   #100
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
More teasing:
It looks more and more like the ideal mirrorless concept I imagined: borrow some ergonomics and battery life of a DSLR, with mirrorless features (basically what Sony don't have).

It's going to have about the size of a Pentax K1, with slightly less depth.
New Nikon mirrorless camera size estimations and comparisons based on the latest teaser | Nikon Rumors
08-03-2018, 07:35 AM - 1 Like   #101
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Its Sony that was late to photography.
Sony is Minolta. Not really late. Also modern cameras are small computers with attached optics. Sony has plenty of electronics experience.
08-03-2018, 08:22 AM - 1 Like   #102
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
Sony is Minolta. Not really late. Also modern cameras are small computers with attached optics. Sony has plenty of electronics experience.
That is Sony's greatest strength and their greatest weakness in the marketplace -- they treat cameras like they are small computers and electronics rather than tools for artistic expression.

Sure, there is a percentage of the camera buying population that goes for whiz-bang computer-electronics but it's not a strategy that's going to win them broader marketshare.
08-03-2018, 10:27 AM   #103
Pentaxian

That is Sony's greatest strength and their greatest weakness in the marketplace -- they treat cameras like they are small computers and electronics rather than tools for artistic expression.
Every digital camera is a small computer,well the ones that have a processor are and i suppose thats most.

As far as artistic expression goes all M/L can have adapters for analogue glass,then switch to M mode and get "artistic".

$$$ony has set the bar for FF M/L(discard Leica due to price) ,its now up to CaNik to match or better them.Competition fueled by tech(or vice versa) is healthy for the industry.Very interesting next 6-7 weeks,all will be revealed by PhotoKina if not just prior.I wont mention any brands but theres gamechangers coming.
08-03-2018, 11:03 AM - 2 Likes   #104
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
Every digital camera is a small computer,well the ones that have a processor are and i suppose thats most.

As far as artistic expression goes all M/L can have adapters for analogue glass,then switch to M mode and get "artistic".

$$$ony has set the bar for FF M/L(discard Leica due to price) ,its now up to CaNik to match or better them.Competition fueled by tech(or vice versa) is healthy for the industry.Very interesting next 6-7 weeks,all will be revealed by PhotoKina if not just prior.I wont mention any brands but theres gamechangers coming.
Even though all digital cameras contain a computer, some brands are better than others at hiding it. Some photographers want a camera, not a computer.

Given that Canon is already beating Sony in mirrorless market share and crushing Sony in overall market share, I'd think that Sony is the one that needs to reach a little higher.

At least we can agree that competition is good although technology may play less role as the technology has matured. I certainly doubt there will be any gamechangers even if marketing departments like to call every little feature a gamechanger. There's been a lot of nice camera introduced in the last 3 years, but none of them have actually changed the game.
08-03-2018, 12:08 PM   #105
Pentaxian

some brands are better than others at hiding it
All mine are hidden,they are on the inside!

Given that Canon is already beating Sony in mirrorless market share and crushing Sony in overall market share, I'd think that Sony is the one that needs to reach a little higher.
Yes, but the market share isnt everything(you own Pentax!)...The performance of Canon M/L compared to $$$ony doesnt come close.However,that may change soon???

At least we can agree that competition is good although technology may play less role as the technology has matured.
Well Dslr tech has reasonably matured,M/L the sky is the limit...

I certainly doubt there will be any gamechangers
I know whats coming,its exciting and it will be a significant change(but thats only my opinion,you will probably think differently.)