Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 47 Likes Search this Thread
08-07-2018, 04:10 PM   #136
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
Canon has both general market dominance and resource capacity to challenge Sony’s position in mirrorless.
The M series Canon M/L is the most preferred world wide(even with the limited native lens range) but CaNik have observed the $$$ony growth.Said growth comes from many sources but Dslr is definitely among them.

Canon havent made a move in the war games yet,they have the market share to lose to Nikon/$$$ony if they sit on their hands.Assuming the Nikon is good and close to or better than $$$ony,then i think Canon have more at stake.

08-07-2018, 05:29 PM   #137
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
The M series Canon M/L is the most preferred world wide(even with the limited native lens range) but CaNik have observed the $$$ony growth.Said growth comes from many sources but Dslr is definitely among them.

Canon havent made a move in the war games yet,they have the market share to lose to Nikon/$$$ony if they sit on their hands.Assuming the Nikon is good and close to or better than $$$ony,then i think Canon have more at stake.
One of the Canon MILCs {M-5??} was reported to be a repackaging of the 77D; with Canon putting some variant of PDAF on their sensors lately, it is quite conceivable that they would have secret arrangement to release multiple MILCs in weeks by prepackaging already successful DSLRs - in other words, it is conceivable that they could turn that 'big ship' very quickly if they felt the need.
08-07-2018, 06:28 PM   #138
Pentaxian

Those specs are similar,the M5 ii is reportedly close to being announced.It will add 4K video(more than likely the same as M50)

Regardless of what Canon do in Apsc, the war is in FF.

First week of Sept has been indicated as a "big" announcement.Wait and see?
08-07-2018, 07:04 PM   #139
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Those specs are similar,the M5 ii is reportedly close to being announced.It will add 4K video(more than likely the same as M50)

I think video-wise Nikon will put high-ish specs (alá their D850) in the high-end Mirrorless.
As far as Canon goes, chances are they'll nerf the video-specs in whatever FF Mirrorless camera they bring out like they've done with their other FF Dslr's.

08-07-2018, 07:08 PM   #140
Pentaxian

Big announcement by whom?
08-07-2018, 07:48 PM   #141
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by disconnekt Quote
I think video-wise Nikon will put high-ish specs (alá their D850) in the high-end Mirrorless.
One would expect so, lets see if they can get it to AF?

Canon have been disappointing with 4K in both Dslr and M/L so far and $$$ony are reasonably good,its one aspect that these 2 Big Boys HAVE to get right.
08-07-2018, 07:54 PM   #142
Veteran Member

For me Sony growth is done . Nikon and Canon will be the dominant player just because the amount of peoples who own them and will stay with the same brand to use their lenses and others accesories.

08-08-2018, 12:13 AM - 1 Like   #143
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
One would expect so, lets see if they can get it to AF?

Canon have been disappointing with 4K in both Dslr and M/L so far and $$$ony are reasonably good,its one aspect that these 2 Big Boys HAVE to get right.

As far as Canon goes, as I see it Canon have been shooting themselves in the foot the last few years by purposefully holding back the video side of things on their Dslr's & mirrorless offerings because they "don't want to lose sales from the low-end Cxxx line", and if the keep it up with their Mirrorless FF or hide the better video specs behind a "upgrade paywall", not only will it make them look bad, but make people who where thinking of going the "Mirrorless Canon route" go to either Nikon or $ony.
08-08-2018, 12:44 AM   #144
Veteran Member

Its easy to poke fun,however,the war has begun with Nikons teaser thingo....$$$ony have been preparing,their answer to the salvos of canon will blow the opposition away.
Of course it's fun. As I said many times, as long as I have what I need to get the job done and having fun while doing it, I don't care who will win this "war" or any other "battle". Haven't you noticed this endless pursuit of the perfect camera/system? It's harder these days to find people with sense of humor on the internet because often the disputes regarding who has the best toy are more "interesting" than relaxing and having a good laugh. Canon, Nikon, Sony, Pentax, Olympus, Fuji are going to have lots of battles in the future. I just hope they will release good enough products in order for all of them to stay in business for many years so that we can have many options to choose from.

Anyway, the best replies to that image are (in my opinion of course):

1. "Police reported it was a quick death.".

2. "How was the body found? Sony side up."

3. "5 years later, Nikon ask Canon:
- Do you know what was the most surprising thing about the discovery of Sony's body?
- No, I don't know!
- That he was recognized!"
08-08-2018, 12:49 AM   #145
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Dan Rentea Quote
2. "How was the body found? Sony side up."
Ha Ha Ha...thats a good one.

QuoteOriginally posted by Dan Rentea Quote
I don't care who will win this "war" or any other "battle".
Me either,the name on the device/tool whatever, doesnt matter one bit....as long as the fun seekers get it and the pros can do the job.
08-08-2018, 05:07 AM   #146
Pentaxian

Regardless of what Canon do in Apsc, the war is in FF
That is what people here focus on, but not clear yet what the market will focus on. If APS-C remains "entryway to the brand" it is quite possible that will remain vital to all the companies .... at least to the ones that want to be profitable. Several generations of Canon management have shown they know what they are doing.
08-08-2018, 02:44 PM   #147
Pentaxian

Will CaNik rise to the challenge?

Here is a reasonably accurate assesment of the level they should aspire to(as we know it now).

---------- Post added 08-09-18 at 09:35 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Big announcement by whom?
Canon...Sept 4/5 depending where on the earth one is!

Last edited by surfar; 08-08-2018 at 03:36 PM.
08-08-2018, 03:57 PM - 1 Like   #148
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Here is a reasonably accurate assesment of the level they should aspire to(as we know it now).

Sony a7 III is the Camera Nikon's Full Frame Mirrorless Must Beat - YouTube
An excellent example of why I prefer text to video presentation. Also, how when you’re making a case based partly on dynamic range, you shouldn’t allow a blown highlight in your hair to constantly distract a viewer.

That aside, he makes a sound case for the Sony A7iii, as well as establishing benchmarks for the Nikon mirrorless offering. Probably, though, he makes the case for a professional who works across stills and video, but non-professionals almost certainly constitute the majority of buyers in this price range. Whether that sufficiently influences non-professionals in their purchase choice is probably more important, nonetheless.
08-08-2018, 06:38 PM   #149
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
That aside
Good post,i bet RobB helped you though!
08-08-2018, 08:16 PM   #150
Veteran Member

I wonder how long it will be before 3rd party K-mount or E-mount lens adapters become available for the Nikon.

On this note, it will be interesting if Nikon throws their mount specifications open, and makes licensing it fee-free, like Sony did with E-mount.

Sony opens up E-mount specification to lensmakers - CNET

Inquiries and Applications for Disclosure of "E-mount" Basic Specifications