Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-13-2018, 04:06 PM   #181
Veteran Member

Nikon should have swallowed their pride, and (since Sony aren't charging for it) just licensed E-mount. Would have made life easier for them - and users.

08-13-2018, 04:28 PM   #182
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentikonian Quote
10 days and we find out what Nikon has been developing.

New rumors: Breaking: Nikon Z6 and Z7 full-frame mirrorless cameras and three lenses coming on August 23rd, Z-Noct-Nikkor 58mm f/0.95 lens to be announced later | Nikon Rumors

Return of the Noct-Nikkor? Z-mount 58mm f/0.95 lens - if real and not purely a rumor, I imagine it will be pricey.
Those who anticipated fast lenses, based on the mount throat size were right, it seems. I do wonder about the applications for something like this in a mirrorless, though. I have a hard time finding new large-aperture applications for my A50/1.2, other than the extra light it lets in for focussing my K-1 in low light. Still, those who invest will no doubt find something to justify their expenditure.
08-13-2018, 04:58 PM - 1 Like   #183
Veteran Member

Ironically, the whole 'Z' naming convention makes the new Nikon line sound very Sony - eg my mobile is a Sony Xperia Z5, I also have a Sony Z3 tablet, and Sony has lots of other 'Z' products too.
08-13-2018, 05:07 PM   #184
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Anyone noticed how large the mount is? According to this guys speculations, there might be a MF mirrorless in works as well (using the same mount as the FF one):

Which allows for very fast primes (starting with these: Nikon Patents 2 Full Frame Mirrorless Lenses: 52mm f/0.9 and 36mm f/1.2)

Whatever it would be, I won't be switching systems lol, i'd rather save up for the DFA primes

08-13-2018, 05:50 PM   #185
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Ironically, the whole 'Z' naming convention makes the new Nikon line sound very Sony - eg my mobile is a Sony Xperia Z5, I also have a Sony Z3 tablet, and Sony has lots of other 'Z' products too.
They are both just copying Pentax!!!

The Pentax Z-1 predates z'ese imposters by a couple of decades!
08-13-2018, 07:55 PM   #186
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
The Pentax Z-1 predates z'ese imposters by a couple of decades!
True. Nikon probably did some decent research on 'Z' names and trademarks, but even a quick Google image search (eg 'Z camera') shows the potential branding and IP minefield they are walking into:

08-13-2018, 08:05 PM   #187
Pentaxian

They are both just copying Pentax!!!
The Pentax Z-1
That was a pretty hot piece of gear,$$$ony made theirs HOTter though(but only shooting 4K!)

---------- Post added 08-14-18 at 02:09 PM ----------

my mobile is a Sony Xperia Z5, I also have a Sony Z3 tablet
The Z3 mobile is one of my phones,when i researched it that tablet kept popping up too.Highly confusing for someone who cant count!

08-13-2018, 08:11 PM   #188
Veteran Member

In their last financial , Niko$$ said they are going for high margin product not volume.
08-13-2018, 08:15 PM   #189
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by awscreo Quote
According to this guys speculations
Yes, the size of the mount is fairly large.Some others are speculating MF too...I'm sure its better to wait and see how the market reacts to the FF first.
08-13-2018, 10:09 PM   #190
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Anyone noticed how large the mount is? According to this guys speculations, there might be a MF mirrorless in works as well (using the same mount as the FF one):
I remember his confident predictions that the D850 would be hybrid EVF/OVF
08-13-2018, 10:21 PM   #191
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
I remember his confident predictions that the D850 would be hybrid EVF/OVF
Yes, he isnt always correct but when it comes to Fuji or Nikon he is close to accurate quite often.
08-14-2018, 02:30 AM   #192
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

? NIKON MIRRORLESS FX & MF Sensor Mount? ? ... new video & info - YouTube

Which allows for very fast primes (starting with these: Nikon Patents 2 Full Frame Mirrorless Lenses: 52mm f/0.9 and 36mm f/1.2)

Whatever it would be, I won't be switching systems lol, i'd rather save up for the DFA primes
I don't think so. Nikon doesn't have much history with medium format and it is going to take long enough to build up a lens line up for this new mount. I think they are just going to have really fast primes for it and those take a large mount.

For the k mount, the fastest lenses you can make are f1.2 (not that most folks need or can afford lenses faster than that).

I will say that I'm really afraid of how DP Review is going to look at these lenses as they are bound to have quite a bit loca.
08-14-2018, 03:58 AM   #193
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I think they are just going to have really fast primes for it and those take a large mount.
I think you're right - the adverting, such as it is in the teaser, looks to be hinting at low light capabilities, and Nikon probably feel they need market differentiation - Canon are more likely to go head to head with Sony.
08-14-2018, 04:25 AM   #194
Pentaxian

Latest rumors, there will be two camera's the z6 (24mp) and z7 (45mp) and a 58mm F0.95 noct lens.
08-14-2018, 06:08 AM   #195
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Although I guess it's something Nikon feel they need to do for strategic reasons, it's going to be a long and costly struggle for Nikon to make headway against Sony, especially starting with a new lens mount.
Why does everybody keep focusing on "new lens mount"??

Even today, Canon has very few native EF-M lenses, and yet {according to Canon} they now are the largest selling MILC brand in Japan. Nikon users have been fiercely loyal in the past ..... right now there is no reason to think they won't adopt this new thing.