Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-30-2018, 05:45 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Ricoh XR7 film rewind knob; replacement options?

I'm not sure how I did this, but, the rewind knob on my XR7 is cracked. The force on the knob from rewinding film makes the crack grow. Has anyone replaced one of these? Can I use a knob & crank from some other non-Ricoh camera? The knob screws onto the shaft that goes through the film cartridge and the shaft seems fine. I'm hoping to just unscrew the cracked knob and replace with something different. I think many cameras used a very similar attachment method for their knobs and I would like a metal replacement instead of the plastic that Ricoh used.

Thoughts?

07-30-2018, 05:55 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
I'm not sure how I did this, but, the rewind knob on my XR7 is cracked. The force on the knob from rewinding film makes the crack grow. Has anyone replaced one of these? Can I use a knob & crank from some other non-Ricoh camera? The knob screws onto the shaft that goes through the film cartridge and the shaft seems fine. I'm hoping to just unscrew the cracked knob and replace with something different. I think many cameras used a very similar attachment method for their knobs and I would like a metal replacement instead of the plastic that Ricoh used.

Thoughts?
See if you can Dental dentist glue and repair the original teeth repairs. The liquid Paper repairs used colour plastic. All the best. Good luck Cheers

Last edited by gmans; 07-30-2018 at 06:49 AM. Reason: Edit teeth dentists repairs
07-30-2018, 06:02 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I considered glue and then using a bit of a zip tie to act as a collar to go most of the way around the knob as well. That said, if I can get a knob for ten bucks that is less likely to break... I also don't know the best glue to use. Probably the stuff used for model cars? "Dental paste" sounds like tooth past and "liquid Paper" sounds like White Out. Neither seems like the stuff I should be using for this repair...
07-30-2018, 06:53 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Neither seems like the stuff I should be using for this repair...
Question or remark ,,,,, Cheers

07-30-2018, 07:00 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Both. What products are you recommending?
07-30-2018, 07:22 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Both. What products are you recommending?
okay the easiest is Araldite (no colour) or Car Windscreen/pane single repairs cracks clear with $30.00 lasts for while and repairs cleared or add liquid paper white out to experiment quickly.

The Superglue will little stick it K-01 my under Dial tomorrow
. Cheers
07-30-2018, 07:31 AM   #7
Forum Member

Thoughts?
I've replaced a Pentax knob with a Nikon one, same size threads. Camera stores that sell used equipment sometimes have some lying around. I'm not sure what size shaft Ricoh used but it's likely the same size as Pentax and Nikon.
Minolta and Olympus are a different size as far as I remember. No need for glue, it likely won't hold for long
07-30-2018, 11:48 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thinking about this, I probably pulled upward on the knob too hard when getting a used roll of film out of the camera. Agreed that glue probably won't hold. There's a camera shop sort of near work that I can stop by later today and see if they have any loose rewind knobs laying around that I could purchase.

Would consider buying one from someone here if they had one free that they didn't think they'd need. Don't need the shaft although I'd take it if offered.

06-09-2019, 01:07 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
UPDATE TIME: I decided to fix this silly situation. Months ago I purchased a rewind knob off of ebay. The donating camera was said to be some kind of Petri and the knob looked like metal. A little time with my Dremel, a run to the hardware store for a slightly longer screw (that I then had to cut down partially) and a lot of fiddling and here's the result!

It isn't perfect. I may actually fill the body of the thing with epoxy and try to smooth the edge around the bottom edge of the knob. But overall I think it's pretty great to have my XR7 back with a knob that probably won't be problem again.