Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-18-2018, 10:29 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yuh - I watched the Northrups a few days ago. I do think that Tony N has bought into the Pentax is Doomed story, and the unfortunate thing is that he has a million subscribers who might believe him - when you reach a certain level of influence - and I'm not saying he's there yet - your prophesies start to be self-fulfilling

Last edited by ffking; 08-18-2018 at 11:32 AM.
08-18-2018, 10:32 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The question with all of these is how big is the overall full frame market and secondarily, what percentage of Sony's sales are A9s and what percentage or discount A7s and such like (on which they are scarcely turning a profit). I don't have the answers to any of these, but if your path to high sales is sell at highly discounted prices, then your revenue isn't necessarily awesome, even if your units are.

(My guess is that Sony is claiming to be number one in full frame units sold, not in terms of revenue generated from full frame cameras).
08-18-2018, 11:22 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Mirrorless vs DSLR Cameras - Which One is Better and Why

"Price: producing mirrorless cameras is much cheaper than producing DSLRs. As of today, most mirrorless camera manufacturers charge heavy premiums for their camera systems, because their overall costs are high. While the actual manufacturing costs are lower than DSLRs, companies have to spend plenty of R&D money on improving autofocus performance and other technologies like EVF. Plus, since mirrorless cameras are relatively new, companies have to increase their marketing budgets to educate people. Overtime, however, prices of mirrorless cameras will drop to lower levels than even entry-level DSLRs."
08-18-2018, 11:36 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by altopiet Quote
Mirrorless vs DSLR Cameras - Which One is Better and Why

"Price: producing mirrorless cameras is much cheaper than producing DSLRs. As of today, most mirrorless camera manufacturers charge heavy premiums for their camera systems, because their overall costs are high. While the actual manufacturing costs are lower than DSLRs, companies have to spend plenty of R&D money on improving autofocus performance and other technologies like EVF. Plus, since mirrorless cameras are relatively new, companies have to increase their marketing budgets to educate people. Overtime, however, prices of mirrorless cameras will drop to lower levels than even entry-level DSLRs."
I think the hard thing is that the cost of EVFs depends greatly on the quality of the EVF. The high end ones with minimal lag require a faster sensor read out than is required for standard SLRs and cost quite a bit more. Nearly all components of cameras come down in price over time. SLRs may cost a little more to assemble, but certainly the difference in cost hasn't been huge to this point.

08-18-2018, 12:41 PM   #20

I saw the video when it launched. Besides the typical YT presentation and bombast, I have no reason to doubt the substance of their argument for MILC taking over the DSLR market. The tech and its advantages have just become too persuasive. It convinced me enough to change over.
08-19-2018, 04:44 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Original Poster

Yes,its war ON!
08-19-2018, 04:54 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
Yes,its war ON!
Nice to sit back and watch - I don't think that guy said anything people here couldn't have, but interesting how much attention the forthcoming battle is getting
08-19-2018, 05:07 AM   #23
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
but interesting how
August 23 has turned from 1 event(Nikons) to a trifecta.

DJI announce a upgraded Drone and Pana(who?)sonic have some little things to Spruik!

Its a bigger day than anticipated,however i think most of the attention will go to Nikon.

---------- Post added 08-19-18 at 11:47 PM ----------

08-19-2018, 06:09 AM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Youtu.be

One mount to rule them all...
08-20-2018, 02:08 AM   #25
Pentaxian

Original Poster
the next tease

08-20-2018, 02:12 AM   #26
Pentaxian

This all means that there is and will be a lot of media advertising the mirrorless way, if Canon join as well, that will help build a lot of momentum for mirrorless. No matter right or wrong, DSLR will lose ground, simply due to the money being spent to influence users to switch to mirrorless. That's a case of the rationality of engineering that fails against marketing.
08-20-2018, 02:28 AM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
This all means that there is and will be a lot of media advertising the mirrorless way, if Canon join as well, that will help build a lot of momentum for mirrorless. No matter right or wrong, DSLR will lose ground, simply due to the money being spent to influence users to switch to mirrorless. That's a case of the rationality of engineering that fails against marketing.
Maybe so, although I would say that with Nikon's cheapest mirrorless camera coming in at two thousand dollars, they will still sell a lot more SLRs than mirrorless cameras. It is a bit odd that they aren't releasing an APS-C mirrorless and instead are targeting a bit higher end.
08-20-2018, 02:30 AM   #28
Pentaxian

Original Poster
DSLR will lose ground,
Well,the reality is they have already lost it...compare the CIPA numbers of Dslrs sold at the peak in 2012 to 2017.They are quite "different".
08-20-2018, 02:50 AM   #29
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
Well,the reality is they have already lost it...compare the CIPA numbers of Dslrs sold at the peak in 2012 to 2017.They are quite "different".
Canon and Nikon still dominate on full frame sensor sales. Now, if Canon and Nikon offer mirrorless as well, a lot of customers will have the choice to stay with their favorite brand or switch to Sony. If Canon and Nikon offer backward compatibility with DSLR lenses, Sony sales will stagnate. Interest for me is why it took so much time for Nikon and Canon to react, although we don't know what Canon will do.
08-20-2018, 03:01 AM   #30
Pentaxian

Original Poster
although we don't know what Canon will do.
They have to join in, they cant let Nikon take customers.Canon have the most to lose.

It will be really interesting because Canon have saved their top features for their top end bodies,but now they have to at least match Nikony.

Sony are prepared,everybody is talking up the CaNik FF M/L entry....minor bombs in the battle....$$$ony have the Nuke up their sleeve,wont be too long and they will use it.