Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-23-2018, 12:43 AM   #61
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Only 1 SD slot? I'm so disappointed, why no 3 slots? I need 3 slots, why?

08-23-2018, 01:43 AM   #62
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Only 1 SD slot? I'm so disappointed, why no 3 slots? I need 3 slots, why?
Depending how important is the job that you are doing 3 might be a good idea.. you know, to have a backup of the backup just in case.
08-23-2018, 01:51 AM   #63
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kooks Quote
Depending how important is the job that you are doing 3 might be a good idea.. you know, to have a backup of the backup just in case.
I was being sarcastic. I may be lucky but I never had in 20 year a single SD card problem. In fast I use only SD1 for shooting and I use SD2 to develop some RAWs and develop them as JPEG moved into SD2. I wouldn't mind having only SD1.
08-23-2018, 02:16 AM   #64
Pentaxian

I was being sarcastic. I may be lucky but I never had in 20 year a single SD card problem. In fast I use only SD1 for shooting and I use SD2 to develop some RAWs and develop them as JPEG moved into SD2. I wouldn't mind having only SD1.
I know.. i was being sarcastic too :P .. I never had a SD issue either.. BUT, i dont want to take the chance of having one and having to tell a client "Im sorry, all your pictures are gone" .. now THAT, would be a F**cked up situation.

08-23-2018, 02:24 AM   #65
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
If you are shooting professionally, particularly wedding photography, where you can't reshoot if you would have a card failure, you definitely do want two slots. That said, there aren't many cameras in the 2000 dollar price range that don't include a second card slot -- whether or not the photographer needs it.

I don't think it is the end of the world and my guess is that Nikon folks will pick this up to pair alongside a Nikon SLR rather than instead of a Nikon SLR. Although it is anyone's guess as to how good sales will be.
08-23-2018, 02:38 AM   #66
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
If you are shooting professionally, particularly wedding photography, where you can't reshoot if you would have a card failure, you definitely do want two slots.

Yes,even $$$ony puts 2 in their bodies lately.

there aren't many cameras in the 2000 dollar price range that don't include a second card slot -- whether or not the photographer needs it.
Yes,that price caters for Pro use.

I don't think it is the end of the world and my guess is that Nikon folks will pick this up to pair alongside a Nikon SLR rather than instead of a Nikon SLR.

The enthusiast will,the Pro will go to $$$ony.

Although it is anyone's guess as to how good sales will be.
Its aimed at retaining Nikon users from going to Fuji/$$$ony...it should sell ok.Its a better first attempt than $$$onys but i doubt it will bring that many back.
08-23-2018, 02:40 AM   #67
Pentaxian

Z7/Z6 battery life: 330 shots. I'll keep using K1 for now.

---------- Post added 23-08-18 at 12:06 ----------

If you are shooting professionally,
That's the whole point, but the reality is, except the XH1, current mirrorless models aren't quite built for professionals, Sony Alfa, Nikon Z and Canon M main target is the customer.
If you shoot professionally, you would rather not care much about the size + weight of the camera when using a 300 f2.8 (sports, wildlife) or 600 f4, you'd still get a D5 or a 1Dx.
Sony are trying to enter the pro segment with the A9, that prove the case that all 7 series are design for the consumer in mind.

Last edited by biz-engineer; 08-23-2018 at 03:08 AM.
08-23-2018, 03:12 AM   #68
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Z7/Z6 battery life: 330 shots. I'll keep using K1 for now.

---------- Post added 23-08-18 at 12:06 ----------

That's the whole point, but the reality is, except the XH1, current mirrorless models aren't quite built for professionals, Sony Alfa, Nikon Z and Canon M main target is the customer.
If you shoot professionally, you would rather not care much about the size + weight of the camera when using a 300 f2.8 (sports, wildlife) or 600 f4, you'd still get a D5 or a 1Dx.
Sony are trying to enter the pro segment with the A9, that prove the case that all 7 series are design for the consumer in mind.
I understand, but the cost of over 3000 dollars is such that I wouldn't think most hobby photographers would want to pick it up. At this point I would rather have a K-1, although admittedly I have little interest in 4K video.
08-23-2018, 03:27 AM   #69
Pentaxian

admittedly I have little interest in 4K video
I bet the vast majority of customers using video don't use 4K due to storage limitations and streaming bandwidth. Even DPReview who should show example, the 4K option is not even available in the videos they post. 4K is one of those tick-the-box features that give your camera a good rating at reviews.
08-23-2018, 07:03 AM - 1 Like   #70
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
Its aimed at retaining Nikon users from going to Fuji/$$$ony...it should sell ok.Its a better first attempt than $$$onys but i doubt it will bring that many back.
We agree!

As I said in another thread, it is easier to retain users than to attract new ones. Nikon wants to keep the ones they have, rather than have them drift off as happened to Pentax during the beginnings of the AF-era {I went to Canon for twenty years}
08-23-2018, 09:23 AM   #71
Pentaxian

current mirrorless models aren't quite built for professionals, Sony Alfa, Nikon Z and Canon M main target is the customer.
If you shoot professionally, you would rather not care much about the size + weight of the camera when using a 300 f2.8 (sports, wildlife) or 600 f4, you'd still get a D5 or a 1Dx
That is not quite true at some times, size & weight counts, shooting professinally doesn't mean using big lenses, of course if you are sport or wildlife photographer big lenses and heavy equipment will be there as default, but there are a lot other professional photographers that will never need that lenses and shoot professionally with 35,50,85mm like fashion, advertising, portraits or weddings for example. But i do agree that Canon M is not aim for professional work, Nikon Zs without the 2 slots are aim for that target either, and until now Sony with the A9 and the 3rd generaltion of A7 is aiming more to that market.
08-23-2018, 02:17 PM   #72
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kooks Quote
That is not quite true at some times, size & weight counts, shooting professinally doesn't mean using big lenses, of course if you are sport or wildlife photographer big lenses and heavy equipment will be there as default, but there are a lot other professional photographers that will never need that lenses and shoot professionally with 35,50,85mm like fashion, advertising, portraits or weddings for example. But i do agree that Canon M is not aim for professional work, Nikon Zs without the 2 slots are aim for that target either, and until now Sony with the A9 and the 3rd generaltion of A7 is aiming more to that market.
I predict when Canon walk in to this game
Price not go down
Actually canon will more winners Sigma lenses with canon mount
all ready to mirror camera
Sony never will be drop price
08-26-2018, 03:05 AM   #73
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Nikon DEAD on Arrival?

The wars only been on a few days and we might have our first casulty???

---------- Post added 08-26-18 at 09:25 PM ----------

08-26-2018, 11:24 AM   #74
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
The wars only been on a few days and we might have our first casulty???
Nikon Full-Frame Z6 & Z7 Dead on Arrival? - YouTube
Well, in the past day, we have gone from 5 of the top 10 to just 4 of the top 10 sellers at B&H being some variant of the new cameras.
Maybe some of those people have seen this video.
"DOA" depends much more on the box-office than on the critics.
08-26-2018, 03:12 PM   #75
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
"DOA" depends much more on the box-office than on the critics.
Some films are flops overall,but some people rush to see them.

When the FANboyFARE dies off,we will be able to tell.

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Well, in the past day, we have gone from 5 of the top 10 to just 4 of the top 10 sellers at B&H being some variant of the new cameras.
So demand has waned already?