Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
08-20-2018, 03:13 AM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
They have to join in, they cant let Nikon take customers.Canon have the most to lose.It will be really interesting because Canon have saved their top features for their top end bodies,but now they have to at least match Nikony.Sony are prepared,everybody is talking up the CaNik FF M/L entry....minor bombs in the battle....$$$ony have the Nuke up their sleeve,wont be too long and they will use it.
In fact, experience taught me that having the right lens makes a lot more difference then having a camera with a mirror or no mirror. For me as a customer I see mirrorless as a great opportunity to buy old DSLR tech for dirty cheap and buy the 300 f2.8 or 500 f4 that goes with it.

08-20-2018, 03:23 AM   #32
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
to buy old DSLR tech for dirty cheap and buy the 300 f2.8 or 500 f4 that goes with it.
Yes, I agree....Ive bought plenty of good lenses on old obsolete film bodies.They are out there.

Another advantage are the Speedboost/Focal Reducer adapters, gaining a stop from a 300mmf4 is nice.
08-20-2018, 03:28 AM   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
For me as a customer I see mirrorless as a great opportunity to buy old DSLR tech for dirty cheap and buy the 300 f2.8 or 500 f4 that goes with it.
short term, maybe - long term, will significant R&D spend still go on DSLRs. I think that part of the problem is that the market is always looking for the next big thing and money follows the market. Maybe SLRs are just an old solution to a problem that no longer exists, or maybe they can re-invent themselves by defining and working on their advantages - it will be an interesting, if bumpy, ride
08-21-2018, 03:19 AM   #34
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Just a couple of days till "the announcement", anyone expecting a $$$ony slayer may be disappointed.

The F mount adapter is rumoured to be FREE!

08-21-2018, 03:29 AM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The F mount adapter is rumoured to be FREE!
Frankly, I think it has to be at least free in inverted commas - the existing user base is the only clear advantage they have over Sony in mirrorless.
08-21-2018, 03:52 AM   #36
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well,the reality is they have already lost it...compare the CIPA numbers of Dslrs sold at the peak in 2012 to 2017.They are quite "different".
2012 was about the peak for SLRs. If you look at the graphs, sales have just returned to pre-digital levels. 2012 was the aberration, not 2017. On the other hand, while mirrorless has grown as a percentage of the market, the actual volume of mirrorless sales has actually been pretty static for the last couple of years. This too, is probably OK for the makers of mirrorless ILCs, but certainly there is no guarantee that Nikon will luck into a pot of gold just because they have released two high end mirrorless cameras.
08-21-2018, 04:03 AM   #37
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
the existing user base is the only clear advantage they have over Sony in mirrorless.
Well,the existing F mount lenses might be an advantage too.With a NOT free adapter,24-70 kit and Fmount,Tamron G2 70-200mm, it makes a good starting point.

I'm sure plenty of Apsc shooters havent bought into $$$ony due to Ergonomics/poor WR/complicated menu and high priced native lenses.These people whether they shoot CaNikTax(dslrs) are canditates for the ZEEEE system.Possibly Fuji/M43 users looking to go up a level?

---------- Post added 08-21-18 at 10:17 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
certainly there is no guarantee that Nikon will luck into a pot of gold just because they have released two high end mirrorless cameras.
Yes,of course.But with the certain % of Nikon devotees that will "have to have it",i would expect Nikon to see strong demand.Then theres the ANTI $$$ony people who are not against M/L but dont want a TV brand on their camera.Call them photographic "snobs" if you like.they traditionally shoot a Dslr but with the advantages M/L bring,there will be some who ADD the body + adapter to their kit.

Last edited by surfar; 08-22-2018 at 10:04 PM.
08-21-2018, 04:54 AM - 1 Like   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
Why would we be interested in this? Cameras, yes but speculation with little foundation?
Regardless of the accuracy of the speculations and predictions, it becomes interesting because we get to be a part of this technological evolution in photography. For those who do not have a mirrorless camera this "war" benefits the consumer;

Prices of current DSLRs and mirrorless system will drop to either encourage you to buy into their system or remain with their system (to include Pentax).

.... in short what the consumer needs or wants will be more considered/respected. Otherwise, they may lose customers (ie. photographers that have switched to Sony).

As a speculative example, even if Nikon's new mirrorless was better than the Sony A9, but was being sold at a similar price point to the A9, and Sony reduced the price of the A9 $500 to $1000 under Nikon's camera, which one would you buy? = that's one of the benefits for the consumer.

How does this benefit Pentax;

Think of it like a NASCAR race, you can be in 3rd and 4th the whole race and let the leaders fight it out. The leaders will be so occupied with each other they forget about you, allowing you to gain position by allowing you (Pentax) to gain position by capitalizing on the leader's "mistakes." If the leaders dont make mistakes, then you just make sure you dont lose anymore position and wait for a break or chance to take the lead.
08-21-2018, 05:18 AM   #39
Pentaxian

Uber Hype. Whoever comes out with 8K or 16K video wins. Just pull your stills from it.
08-21-2018, 05:18 AM   #40
Pentaxian

Uber Hype. Whoever comes out with 8K or 16K video wins. Just pull your stills from it.
08-21-2018, 05:41 AM   #41
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lmcfarrin Quote
Regardless of the accuracy of the speculations and predictions, it becomes interesting because we get to be a part of this technological evolution in photography. For those who do not have a mirrorless camera this "war" benefits the consumer;

Prices of current DSLRs and mirrorless system will drop to either encourage you to buy into their system or remain with their system (to include Pentax).

.... in short what the consumer needs or wants will be more considered/respected. Otherwise, they may lose customers (ie. photographers that have switched to Sony).

As a speculative example, even if Nikon's new mirrorless was better than the Sony A9, but was being sold at a similar price point to the A9, and Sony reduced the price of the A9 $500 to $1000 under Nikon's camera, which one would you buy? = that's one of the benefits for the consumer.

How does this benefit Pentax;

Think of it like a NASCAR race, you can be in 3rd and 4th the whole race and let the leaders fight it out. The leaders will be so occupied with each other they forget about you, allowing you to gain position by allowing you (Pentax) to gain position by capitalizing on the leader's "mistakes." If the leaders dont make mistakes, then you just make sure you dont lose anymore position and wait for a break or chance to take the lead.
You illustrate my point well. Speculating with little or no evidence does not make us part of the evolution of technology. When the cameras exist and people can use and report on them there will be something to discuss. Social media has replaced the local bar as a center for uninformed speculation. Not interested. I am interested in using my cameras and and hearing about other peoples experiences with actual cameras. Engineers talking about new, but not yet implemented, technology is also interesting - it is based on actual knowledge, not rumor.
08-21-2018, 07:16 AM   #42
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hype? Maybe but there is a new generation that has been raised on camera phones and has no sentimental loyalty to legacy cameras. It isn't a question of how many mirrorless cameras cameras are being sold but of who is buying them and I don't think it's aging baby boomers dumping their DSLR's.
08-21-2018, 07:35 AM   #43
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
You illustrate my point well. Speculating with little or no evidence does not make us part of the evolution of technology. When the cameras exist and people can use and report on them there will be something to discuss. Social media has replaced the local bar as a center for uninformed speculation. Not interested. I am interested in using my cameras and and hearing about other peoples experiences with actual cameras. Engineers talking about new, but not yet implemented, technology is also interesting - it is based on actual knowledge, not rumor.
... then I guess we wont hear from you anymore until then. Lol
08-21-2018, 07:45 AM - 1 Like   #44
Banned

Olympus just invested 50 million USD in their production facilaties. I wonder why? My wild guess is that they will come with a fullframe mirrorless E-mount camera and join this war and strenghten Sony.
08-21-2018, 11:25 AM   #45
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Two more days.
Hopefully we will finally get some facts then.