Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-07-2018, 08:39 PM - 3 Likes   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Shooting with Vintage cameras [sarcasm]

Wow! In next town is a new 24hr store that develops films. Here, in Mexico, only in the big cities you can reach a Photo lab.

Mmm.. to bad, I sell my Pentax ME body last year.

But Looking in the flea market I found that Vintage camera are really cheap, there are some fixed lens or SLR like Contaflex, King Regula, Sportmatic, Pentax Me, Yashica, etc for about 20 to 80usd

Just for nostalgia I want to get a fixed lens camera like Contaflex, you know, just for remember the feeling. Yeah, I can almost smell the oily mecanical gears!

When I got the camera in my hands, I'll buy a 36 exp. B&W film, mount on the camera hoping it engages well inside (many time it happen to me the films was never exposed cos' a the leading trail never engaged I ended with a 1.5meter of blank developed film)

Well, let's hope for the best. After mesuring the light.... oops I'll need to buy an exposimeter, vintage exposimeter of course, I'll take plenty of photos..... mmm, wait, Wait, WAIT a minute! Having 36 exp. on the same theme is boring.

After several days, maybe a week or a month, I will drop picture by picture and I'll finally going to reach the final exposition on the film. I'll know it by the camera counter. And If the camera has not counter, well, I dont care about it at least for now.

So, after one or two months from now, some day I'll have that photo prints on my hands and I'll go where my wife to show them all, proudly, I when she take a look a the photos (phisical ones).... Oh... I know her very well, She'll say to me: "those pics, too grainy, my phone takes better pictures; No way to get that stuff in the house, no place to store it!, How much did you spend on that?"

Well, after that soliloquio... I no longer interested in shotting Vintage Camera any longer.

08-07-2018, 08:45 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by carabez Quote
How much did you spend on that?"
We married the same woman!
08-07-2018, 10:07 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

And here I am looking at 4x5 field cameras...
08-07-2018, 11:20 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by skierd Quote
That’s what happens when we accumulate vintage cameras, we get to a point we start to move outward to other formats. I spent several hours a couple of days ago doing the same thing, looking at 4x5 field cameras. Then I had to consider the explanation I would give the wife when she gave me that look that said, “what the hell is that and what do you need it for.”

08-08-2018, 04:59 AM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

Jewelry is the answer to any camera related question. Of course it increases the price of the camera, but preserves marital peace
08-08-2018, 07:23 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by skierd Quote
and here I am building one...

But then, I have neither wife or girlfriend to stop me doing things like that!
08-12-2018, 07:54 AM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
When I went to Mexico, I thought I would be in trouble since I didn't bring my Nikon FM2 or FM3.

Instead, I thought it would be more appropriate if I brought my Pentax MX's.

Beautiful churches!

Even met Captain America . . .

Had a great time but all too soon I had to go back home. Pentax MX+fisheye lens in the airport . . .

Yup, no problems shooting film in Mexico . . .

08-12-2018, 10:45 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Currently en route to Argentina and Chile with a pair of Olympus XA’s, so I feel ya!
08-13-2018, 08:53 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Topsy Quote
But then, I have neither wife or girlfriend to stop me doing things like that!
You Smug

QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
When I went to Mexico, I thought I would be in trouble since I didn't bring my Nikon FM2 or FM3.
LOL

QuoteOriginally posted by IgorZ Quote
Jewelry is the answer to any camera related question. Of course it increases the price of the camera, but preserves marital peace
Wise tip!

This 150usd camera is going to be my Christmas gift if still available by dec. It's broken, but I enjoy dismantling and repairing those antiques. I would like a pentax 67 but it will cost me a lot of "Jewelry" for my wife
08-13-2018, 09:08 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by carabez Quote
You Smug

LOL

Wise tip!

This 150usd camera is going to be my Christmas gift if still available by dec. It's broken, but I enjoy dismantling and repairing those antiques. I would like a pentax 67 but it will cost me a lot of "Jewelry" for my wife
Particularly if you measure the necessary amount of jewelry by weight of the camera...
08-28-2018, 08:25 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
Instead, I thought it would be more appropriate if I brought my Pentax MX's.
What in God's name happened to that Fish-Eye Takumar, and why? Sounds like someone at some stage decided to obliterate any trace of the maker's name.
08-28-2018, 03:02 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
What in God's name happened to that Fish-Eye Takumar, and why? Sounds like someone at some stage decided to obliterate any trace of the maker's name.
That used to be a requirement for grey-market imports, brought into the US by someone other than the US trademark holder. All US registered trademarks had to be obliterated. Probably at that time Honeywell held the assignment of the trademarks. If an item was sent in by mail, the post office would not release the item until the recipient removed such trademarks. I’ve even seen Leica items so defaced.
08-28-2018, 06:34 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TomB_tx Quote
That used to be a requirement for grey-market imports, brought into the US by someone other than the US trademark holder. All US registered trademarks had to be obliterated. Probably at that time Honeywell held the assignment of the trademarks. If an item was sent in by mail, the post office would not release the item until the recipient removed such trademarks. I’ve even seen Leica items so defaced.
So much for resale value! What were they thinking?
08-30-2018, 07:04 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
So this year 2018 canon film camera ended sales Very soon all the shots made with film will be made with an used camera. As for example my new acquisition a "Contaflex I" made by 1954. Today I could not resist gambling and I won, on Ebay, this mind copy for $61.99us

The "Contaflex I" was my first Reflex that I bought used and repaired when young: Prismatic viewer, No ligthmeter, no batteries ergo 100% mecanical. I always loved the simetrical and "modern" design of that camera current even up today standards.

Now I prefer digital, but I want to shoot several 36exp Roll before that technology disappears.

P.S. I would have bought the broken Golden Regula King but the price went up by $200us; It's a lot of money for my nostalgic desire. There are even vintage cameras for 20 dollars
08-30-2018, 10:17 AM - 1 Like   #15
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by carabez:
Very soon all the shots made with film will be made with an used camera.
Too late for me . . . but nothing older then me . . .