Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 44 Likes Search this Thread
08-10-2018, 03:08 PM - 4 Likes   #1

Photos: Gallery
Leica doesn't exist

Disclaimer: This is meant to be taken as humorous (or is it)

Do Leica cameras exist or are they just a fabrication? I've never seen a Leica in the wild, nor have I seen their lenses. No rangefinders. No rebadged Pannasonic DSLR's but sold with a Red Dot. No nothing. Every time I see someone with a camera, I sneak a peek, and it's always Nikon or Canon. Occasionally I see Fuji, Sony, or any of the other gambit of cameras. Hell, I see Pentaxes (Pentaxi?) significantly more frequently than these supposed "Red Dot" cameras.

Now bear with me, as I may sound crazy: I don't think Leica exists. I think people pay thousands of dollars to say they own a Leica, but don't actually have one. It's like a perverse club where everyone says they have one, other people think they have one, but nobody actually has one because Leica. Doesn't. Exist.

The only evidence to the contrary is from my Grandfather who said he always regretted not buying a "Leica" when he was stationed in Germany in the mid-50's. For all I know, the company referred to as "Leica" could have been taking servicemen's paychecks and handing them a card saying "you're now allowed to say you own a camera that can take a photograph of God him/her/itself. — Leica"

08-10-2018, 03:16 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

For what it's worth, I saw what appeared to be a working professional with a Leica SL and a huge zoom lens at the Women's march Jan 2017. He was standing on a little stool in the middle of the line of march, smiling as a few thousand people went by around him. But other than that, I have to admit I have never seen anyone with a Leica in the wild.
08-10-2018, 03:21 PM   #3

Original Poster
If, and this is a big "if", if Leica does exist, do people treat them like vintage Ferraris, Dusenbergs, Bugatti's, etc? These cameras that, again if real, should be outside capturing the world are locked away in a closet somewhere.
08-10-2018, 03:21 PM - 3 Likes   #4
Pentaxian

Maybe they're all made in Australia, which also doesn't exist.

08-10-2018, 03:24 PM - 3 Likes   #5
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
No, they are all *owned* in Australia. I see them all the time
08-10-2018, 03:34 PM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

The irony is this. To own a Leica probably means you already own a Ferrari or the like. And since I do not see Ferrari's, let alone ride in them, I therefore do not see Leica.

Essentially, Leica owners live in a different ecosystem to the humble one I reside in on this small well connected planet. There endeth the Leica in the wild mystery
08-10-2018, 03:40 PM   #7
Pentaxian

My dad had one, he claims it was stolen form his car back in the 50s. MY step-father got one at garage sale for $5. My ex-father in law convinced him it was too good a camera for an 8 year old. What a piece of work. I would have gladly kept if rfor me son until he was old enough to use it. As it was, he got by with my K-1000. He actually did some professional work with it.

08-10-2018, 03:41 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

When I was in Milan last year, I saw a cavalcade of Ferraris cruising down the main street.
No Leicas though....
08-10-2018, 03:41 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
No, they are all *owned* in Australia. I see them all the time
One paradox too many- my logic circuits are overheating!
08-10-2018, 03:43 PM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wild Mark Quote
The irony is this. To own a Leica probably means you already own a Ferrari or the like. And since I do not see Ferrari's, let alone ride in them, I therefore do not see Leica.
Fair 'nuff, but I've seen a fair amount of Ferraris and the like, so that tells me the Leica's, if real, are stuck at home needing to be used. I know this is a long shot, but if a Leica owner wants to donate an unloved and unused camera to me, I'll be happy to cover shipping.
08-10-2018, 03:46 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

my friend has three M series bodies with five lenses, superb stuff, classy glass. He did have Pentax years ago. I see them each week.

Camera Lane in Melb. is a good source if you want to venture in
08-10-2018, 03:51 PM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by beachgardener Quote
my friend has three M series bodies with five lenses, superb stuff, classy glass. He did have Pentax years ago. I see them each week.

Camera Lane in Melb. is a good source if you want to venture in
Are you just BS-ing for your friend? How much did he pay you to say they exist?

Bah! You Aussies all get the cool stuff (except for the million and one animals that want to kill you). If I'm ever in Melbourne, I'll stop in.
08-10-2018, 03:59 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
My dad had one, he claims it was stolen form his car back in the 50s.
This might explain the phenomena - did your dad own an open canopy style car like a Ferrari? If so, then modern day Leica owners are also Ferrari owners who frequently have their Leica's stolen - hence you never see them when you see Ferrari's - but, for those who claim they do se them, then, perhaps, they know the thieves of Leica cameras (or at least live near one) ......
08-10-2018, 04:01 PM - 2 Likes   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChatMechant Quote
Maybe they're all made in Australia, which also doesn't exist.
They're made by elves and trolls in Germany...
08-10-2018, 05:24 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bikehead90 Quote
You Aussies all get the cool stuff
yes we do, actually he is always explaining what sort of camera is that? asks many. others think it some sort of point and shoot toy camera, of course you are not a real photographer unless you carry the big cameras with three or four 2.8 zooms joke

most I see around here are the big three, but what is becoming more and more is film cameras, each weekend I see at least one film camera.