Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 44 Likes Search this Thread
08-10-2018, 08:07 PM   #16
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I live near Portland and have seen Leica in the wild and even know a few regular Leica shooters. Leica are not uncommon here. I would say chance of seeing one is on the same order as seeing a Miranda in the wild here in Portland. We also have a fair share of exotic cars on the road and even in the grocery store parking lots. (I was passed by a Lamborghini on I-5 northbound three weeks ago and saw a Alfa-Romeo 4C coupe in the grocery store lot just last week.) Portland is strange. Even stranger is the fact that the Leica shooters I know drive fairly dull cars and that the Miranda owner I know shoots Leica and also owns a Pentax 6x7.

Pentax SV, Super-Takumar 28/3.5, Ektar 100

Steve

08-10-2018, 09:23 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have a Panasonic LX7 with the Leica lens. And I have had friends with many many Leicas over the years. Most are diehard film fans shooting Leica rangefinders.
08-10-2018, 09:53 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Yes Leica does exist and I use Leica equipment almost everyday but I have never shot with one of their camera or used one of their camera lenses however I look thru there lenses daily
08-10-2018, 10:00 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Leica's are no big deal.

I've got three Leica R lenses that I Leitaxed and use on my K1.

Two of them cost under $300. That's cheaper than many Pentax lenses.

There's a Leica lens club here on this Pentax Forum - https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/122-lens-clubs/80029-leica-lens-club-5.html . Check it out, and after seeing some of the bokehlicious Leica photos you too might just want to buy a Leica R lens and join our little Leica Lens Club.

Last edited by Fenwoodian; 08-15-2018 at 05:52 PM.
08-10-2018, 10:33 PM   #20
Pentaxian

I'm looking at one right now. It's a '51 Leica llf rangefinder 35mm, with a Leitz 50 mm F 3.5 collapsible lens. I've had it since around 1981, never had to do anything to it, still works well . Can't recall how much I paid for it, but I think it was around $ 300-350 CAD.

Other than me, I've known only a few who have Leica cameras.The last one I saw and tried out was an M8 digital. It is owned by a guy, older than me and I'm no spring chicken. He bought it as he always wanted a Leica rangefinder...it is on his bucket list. He asked me if I wanted to try it and I did work with it for a few minutes. Like my llf, the controls are precise, smooth, effortless. It's manual focus, as are all the Leica rangefinders.

The new ones are pricey, so are the older model rangefinders. I still would like to have a new Leica rangefinder, but I don't think it is in the cards.

So in answer to the OP's question....Yes, Virginia, there is a Santa Claus...and there is a Leica too. It exists in the hearts of all photographers and in some cases ....exists in the Domke bags of a few well off....sometimes discerning.... photographers...

Now since I mentioned Santa Claus...it puts me in mind of the Leica M10 rangefinder body with a 35mm F 1.4 Summilux-M f/1.4 lens. I think this one body and this one lens would be enough for about 80 % of my photography. Right now it doesn't exist in my personal sphere...but wouldn't it be nice...
08-10-2018, 10:57 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
No, they are all *owned* in Australia. I see them all the time
No joke: I see more Leica photographers here in Australia than I have seen in the hands of the general populace in my travels Abroad. though of course in photographic workshops and masterclasses I have been involved in there are always one or two in the crowd, sitting among the Pentax photographers.
08-11-2018, 01:03 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Have you ever wondered where all those vintage cameras and lenses in mint condition have spent the decades before being sold on ebay? Chances are that the last time they have seen light was at quality control at the end of the assembly line - and then were stored in the original box in some shelf. Because the moment you carry a camera through the door into the wild it‘s no longer mint ... .

Regarding Leica: I can at least confirm that Wetzlar, home town of the red dot, exists. But even there I didn‘t see any leica camera in the wild.

Greetings from Germany.

08-11-2018, 01:19 AM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi snafu.

It’s a well-known fact that Leica is Italian.

‘I Leica my camera...’ 😂😜 lol!
08-11-2018, 01:38 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Hi microlight,

excuse my ignorance. I thought Italy was rather famous for red wine than red dots. I leica Italy a lot ...
08-11-2018, 02:08 AM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ah, the red wine. I Leica the red wine too!
08-11-2018, 03:39 AM   #26

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote
Leica's are no big deal.

I've got two Leica R lenses that I Leitaxed and use on my K1.

One is a 135mm f/2.8, and the other a 180mm f/2.8. Neither one cost me over $300 USD. That's cheaper than many Pentax lenses.

There's a Leica lens club here on this Pentax Forum - Leica Lens Club - Page 5 - PentaxForums.com . Check it out, and after seeing some of the bokehlicious Leica photos you too might just want to buy a Leica R lens and join our little Leica Lens Club.
Clearly I've never seen a wild Leica lens, but their mounting system is different from the K, yeah? Would you need an adapter ring of some sort? On second thought, don't tell me any more about Leicizing my Pentax, because I'm saving for 645N.
08-11-2018, 05:43 AM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Quite a few Leica R lenses were actually Minolta sourced and some were even Sigma sourced. This wasn't always a happy situation for Leica users.
08-11-2018, 05:48 AM - 3 Likes   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have found it significantly cheaper to edit my exif to look as though I own Leica gear than to actually purchase the gear. And truthfully, my photos look better after editing the exif.
08-11-2018, 05:49 AM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I have found it significantly cheaper to edit my exif to look as though I own Leica gear than to actually purchase the gear. And truthfully, my photos look better after editing the exif.
I'm crying laughing...
08-11-2018, 05:50 AM   #30
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Does that work if you edit to say it's a Hassleblad?