Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-15-2018, 04:52 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
$$$ony leads FF in USA

Well they must be doing something correctly!

Breaking: Sony Is Now Number One Overall in U.S. Full-Frame Camera Market, Celebrates With New 'Alpha Female' Program | Fstoppers

08-15-2018, 05:05 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Not really surprising with their dominance in the mirrorless market and resources to push out so many new products, and although not perfect, pretty good products.
08-15-2018, 05:19 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Nikon is really going to be pushing it uphill then with the new Z's if the USA market is now lost to Sony.
I bet they already dominate full-frame in Japan and probably China too.
08-15-2018, 05:26 PM - 1 Like   #4
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
Well they must be doing something correctly!
Sony isn't, understandably, the darling of other-brand-specific forums such as these... and I'm not a big fan of the company generally, but (and I've alluded to this before)...

A clever part of its strategy, IMHO, is to continue supplying older products as part of its "current" product range, but at reduced prices.

A lot of people buying into Sony - especially in the full frame market, but also in APS-C, bridge and compacts - are doing so, I believe, with products that have long since been superseded, because they can do so relatively inexpensively. The products - whilst technically not leading edge - are still just as good as they were on the day they were released. And once the bargain-basement MILC adopters build up a range of half-decent glass - the availability of which is finally good, especially when you take into account the third party manufacturers - some of those folks will go on to buy the more recent and presumably more-profitable cameras and lenses.

It's a clever business model, and it seems to be working for now...

08-15-2018, 05:27 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
They are making good FF cameras.

Without knowing what proportion of the ILC market is in FF, we don't know much else from this news.
08-15-2018, 06:23 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Without knowing what proportion of the ILC market is in FF,
Cipa records the shipments in categories i think? I do recall seeing a breakdown but maybe it was just the Calender year annual thingo???

---------- Post added 08-16-18 at 12:28 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Yes, and they were expecting the challenge to come from CaNik...so very interesting next couple of years.

Nicholas is over there in $$$ony land with his elcheapo(for a FF) A7...he seems to have ditched his K-5ii and the great shots he got with it.(i wonder what he does in bad weather?)
08-15-2018, 06:40 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
A clever part of its strategy, IMHO, is to continue supplying older products as part of its "current" product range, but at reduced prices.

A lot of people buying into Sony - especially in the full frame market, but also in APS-C, bridge and compacts - are doing so, I believe, with products that have long since been superseded, because they can do so relatively inexpensively. The products - whilst technically not leading edge - are still just as good as they were on the day they were released. And once the bargain-basement MILC adopters build up a range of half-decent glass - the availability of which is finally good, especially when you take into account the third party manufacturers - some of those folks will go on to buy the more recent and presumably more-profitable cameras and lenses.

So, if Pentax followed this strategy, instead of selling K-70, KP, and K-3ii, they would be selling K-5ii, K-3, and K-3ii, each new?? I wonder how that would work?

08-15-2018, 06:57 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Nicholas is over there in $$$ony land with his elcheapo(for a FF) A7...he seems to have ditched his K-5ii and the great shots he got with it.(i wonder what he does in bad weather?)
Well, I've had an A7 for years, trying full frame.

I've pretty much ditched it since the K-1 came out.

But I'm heading overseas for four weeks hiking, driving and biking soon, and will take it and the FA31 and FA77 with the little Sony 10-18 for portability. There's a use for everything in my cupboard eventually!

Last edited by clackers; 08-15-2018 at 07:24 PM.
08-15-2018, 07:00 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Well, I've had an A7 for years, trying full frame.
Its lonely sitting in that cupboard!
08-15-2018, 07:26 PM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Its lonely sitting in that cupboard!
It's only got 24Mp and has the usual mirrorless/Sony problems, but this is its time to shine, Surfar.

I'm looking at it on the interchange bench, the star player's done a hammy, and I'm saying: "Son, go out there and do me proud!"
08-15-2018, 07:51 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
on the interchange bench,
Well,its a veteran coming off the bench!
08-15-2018, 08:47 PM   #12
Veteran Member

The A7 never interested me until the A73. The old sensor gave up pixels on the 36mp A7R/K1 and did not add sensitivity. It’s AF was not impressive, and it only had one SD slot. The A73 finally nails it on all these fronts.
08-15-2018, 08:57 PM   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
The A7 never interested me until the A73. The old sensor gave up pixels on the 36mp A7R/K1 and did not add sensitivity. It’s AF was not impressive, and it only had one SD slot. The A73 finally nails it on all these fronts.
I think you're getting mixed up, Gene … the A7 III still only has 24Mp, no more than a K-3.

The A7R III has more, but now we're talking $3000.
08-15-2018, 09:00 PM   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Well,its a veteran coming off the bench!
But you yourself would be, I'm guessing, in your sixties or more, right?
08-15-2018, 10:12 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Ha Ha,Yes...but i was referring to the camera(2013) not you...once again posts get misinterpreted!