Look at these comparisons of two new cameras to D850

Nikon D850 vs. Nikon Z6 vs. Nikon Z7 specifications comparison | Nikon Rumors

08-22-2018, 12:21 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
[not sure how to quote people]

reh312 Asked: "What does the d850 have that K-1 doesn't?"

I'll first say that, the things mentioned below are really just nitpicking an already amazing camera. For most needs, in the realm of stills: landscape/astro/studio/street, the K-1 checks off most boxes, and adds boxes I didn't know I wanted or didn't know was possible. This is not just true for the K-1, but for most of the digital Pentax cameras I have owned (K-5, K-01)... all of this, while still having the best build quality, and an ergonomics that is so amazing that it almost forces me to take one more picture. The Ergo of the Nikons have always felt clunky - I have a d200; and the pint-sized nature of Sony a6000 has always felt a bit unnatural - an amazing camera for everything that it does!.. but I have always felt like it was a camera where I can say they quite literally fit everything in, but the feel in the hand is just not the same. If you destroyed every camera in the world, and said I could only use a K-1, I would be a very happy person... no problem using it into the infinite future.

1) Buffer/FPS:
If there is one complaint that I have about the K-1, it is the buffer/FPS. When shooting landscape/astro/studio/portrait/headshots, It rarely becomes a problem at all. But put yourself in an environment with anything moderately fast paced: Event, Concert, Graduation Ceremony, Dance, Sporting events, etc)... and you bump up against the limits frequently. It doesn't mean that you can't use it in/during those moments, but it does mean that there are some moments where you can't take pictures, that you need to be more economic with how you take photos, or techniques/approaches aren't available (spray+pray is not a thing).

2) Silent shooting:

This is mostly a DSLR-centered thing, as I believe that the d850 is really the only thing to present a usable method to do this. This is very appreciated when in a setting that is very quiet, or an environment where sound comes from one location. That mirror-slap is noticeable, and it can sometimes be/feel like a pin-prick depending on the setting. I've gone to concerts (ex: acapella) and when others use DSLR, it feels a bit disjarring. IMO, this is really the only feature that really matters DSLR vs Mirrorless. All of the other things, I believe that DSLRs can or will do as well (aside from EVF vs Optical [and how DSLR LView is bad all of the time ATM], but I find that silent shooting to be a real luxury. It is something that I find nice when shooing on my Panasonic g85 (and Sony a6000 before I gifted that to my sister-in-law).

3) 4k Video:
This one, also not really important. If I never get a camera with 4k, I will be fine... but it does mean that my K-1 will only be regulated to a stills camera, or a 2nd-shooter. This is one of the main reasons I purchased the Panasonic g85 (really to just get a camera with some mirrorless approach. I don't believe that Sony counted the time because it did not have the touch command or IBIS features on the same level). I continue to wish that Pentax/Ricoh had purchased whatever tech/patent that Samsung gave up when they made the NX-series cameras... seems like the problem would have been instantly solved.

One thing I really don't care about: Auto-Focus Rant. (But having a touch screen to choose focus would be amazing!!)

I'm sure there's a horse someone I have just got on top of... but I mostly put this here because I think that Pentax AF gets a bad rep. I think the complaints that some people complain about, simply means that you haven't learned how to use that specific camera (or type of camera). Focus/recompose, or the need to, is not a flaw in the camera! It's just how you have to take the picture that you want. All because the camera won't give the same results, if you use it the same way as a different camera, is not the camera's fault. It is nice to have more features (Pentax, please add more, and make them further away from the center!). But the statement that Pentax AF is not as good as other cameras (very true), doesn't mean that it doesn't do the job... and do the job quite well IMO. As much as I am impressed with capabilities of the g85/a6000, I don't think there has been a moment where I have felt... if only I had more focus points. I find in moments when the AF doesn't get it, I just switch it to MF and peak the focus in.

Those are pretty much the main things really... not a lot of things I know. As I hope the above states, a lot of these things are luxuries. One thing I appreciate about Pentax, is that it forces you to really think about your technique as you use your equipment... while also preparing you for all instances. Rainstorm/snow/trip and dunk your camera in the sea... yep, Pentax has got you. Green Button is the greatest thing ever made!!! I will tell anyone, they should consider Pentax for this feature alone. Gives you the freedom, to explore manual settings... but fall back on the auto-features when you feel unsure. I owe the progression of my photography to this ability alone.

The last thing I'll say (sorry for super-lengthy responses... probably why I don't post as much on here)... is that I feel that the K-1 boils down to a d810... with IBIS, astrotracer, horizon correction, wifi (I don't believe d810 has it), Pixel-shift, Green Button, 3rd scroll wheel, focus peaking, rugged body design, superior ergonomics IMO ... all for almost half the price. The only drawback I see, is giving up 1-2 FPS. Not bad, not bad at all. But I don't think I can say it is a d850, with those same things.
08-22-2018, 12:38 PM - 1 Like   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by landofcourtness Quote
Just press "Quote" on bottom right side of message and their {in this case my} words will be the first thing in the message - just be sure to enter your typing after the last square bracket "]" and try not to use square brackets in your message
Attached Images

08-22-2018, 12:46 PM - 2 Likes   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Alternatively, highlight the text you want to quote, and a little option box appears above it

08-22-2018, 12:57 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Oh man! Nikon has thrown a monkey in my wrench. Hahaha! If they remain kings of AF performance in the mirrorless world along with spectacular 5-axis IBIS, this could be the next system that I move to if Ricoh doesn't make an effort with the AF system on the upcoming APS-C flagship. All I can say is that variety & competition can be a really good thing. Here's to looking forward to what the camera manufacturers will bring in 2019!
08-22-2018, 01:03 PM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by The Squirrel Mafia Quote
Oh man! Nikon has thrown a monkey in my wrench. Hahaha! If they remain kings of AF performance in the mirrorless world along with spectacular 5-axis IBIS, this could be the next system that I move to if Ricoh doesn't make an effort with the AF system on the upcoming APS-C flagship. All I can say is that variety & competition can be a really good thing. Here's to looking forward to what the camera manufacturers will bring in 2019!
Nikon prices would ruin my budget, however.
08-22-2018, 01:09 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

At least they have continued the trend of mirrorless bodies with large lenses. Would have to actually use the camera before slagging the controls but these don't look that great from a distance. Thought the Df got that pretty well handled and this isn't like that at all.

08-22-2018, 01:32 PM   #23
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
I keep hoping that some company gets to a place, where one company (I really don't care) can create a mirrorless option (not sure I care as much about sensor size either) that accepts Pentax glass w/adapter, yet keeps it's Mirrorless features (AF, EVF, 4k, etc)
This has been available for a couple of years now.The $$$ony bodies with Phasedetect AF take the TechartPro or Fotodiox smart adapters.Theres lots of mount inserts available as well.The 2 adapter suppliers say 700gms is the limit for weight BUT,there a YouTube that shows an old Nikon 400mm(2.8kg) working on the adapter(with support of course).
08-22-2018, 01:37 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'll say this... they definitely look rugged. At least with the picture next to the d850, that was my initial reaction (think it might be the skin on it). Looking at the British/euro pricing for Z6... Am I reading this correct?? 3399 euro = 3942 US (body only), 4058 (lens kit), 4638 (24-70 kit), 4755 (24-70 kit + FTZ = lens converter?).

That body price for entry is a full-stop on its own. Funny thing (if true/accurate), is that the body-only option is $1000 more than Sony a7r3... same in terms of the 24-70 option. [sony has no 'kit' lens option]. I wonder how they justify such a big difference difference? You have to believe that the price will plummet downward.

---------- Post added 08-22-18 at 01:44 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
This has been available for a couple of years now.The $$$ony bodies with Phasedetect AF take the TechartPro or Fotodiox smart adapters.Theres lots of mount inserts available as well.The 2 adapter suppliers say 700gms is the limit for weight BUT,there a YouTube that shows an old Nikon 400mm(2.8kg) working on the adapter(with support of course).
Yes, I have read that as well... but doesn't it only Auto-focus the lens, as a correction. You don't have any of the advanced features (ex: eye-AF, etc)?? It simply adjusts the lens, moving the lens closer/further away from the body (as I understand it)?

Would love to see/read something to the difference? (Like many I imagine) I have a bunch of modern Pentax glass, and I feel like my lens lineup is very much complete (I really can't think of any instance that I can't handle)... want the mirrorless features (or close to, like Canon operates on Sony at least), with those lenses.
08-22-2018, 06:45 PM   #25
Veteran Member

You have to believe that the price will plummet downward.
Nikon pricing rarely plummets downwards. They will hold the line as long as possible on price. Being FF only, they are clearly pitching this as prosumer mirrorless, not 'soccer mom' mirrorless, so they will feel comfortable charging a premium.
08-22-2018, 07:36 PM   #26
Pentaxian

That body price for entry is a full-stop on its own. Funny thing (if true/accurate), is that the body-only option is $1000 more than Sony a7r3... same in terms of the 24-70 option. [sony has no 'kit' lens option]. I wonder how they justify such a big difference difference? You have to believe that the price will plummet downward.
I'm guessing the price comparison that will matter is comparison to the D850, which it closely resembles; the D850 costs $3300 on backorder. I'm also guessing that supplies of the Z7 will also be tightly controlled.
08-22-2018, 07:41 PM   #27
Pentaxian

funny thing about mirrorless tech, is that they're going to start creating cameras that has IBIS in the body... but for some reason they can't/won't put that tech in their DSLRs. Mirrorless will prove that they have the capabilities.
Not funny actually. Technically, IBIS doesn't make sense in DSLR and IBIS makes sense in mirrorless cameras. The reason is that with long lenses, you get stabilized view and AF when the image sensor is stabilized in a mirrorless camera and you also get stabilized view and AF when optical stabilization is used on a DSLR. However, you do not get stabilized view and stabilized AF with a DSLR with IBIS, that is why most brands don't use IBIS in DSLR, except Pentax. IBIS is not difficult technology, Canon have been using IBIS for a long time in their compact camera and binoculars, but they decided not to use IBIS for their DSLRs and offer optical stabilization for their DSLR lenses, same for Nikon.
08-22-2018, 11:17 PM   #28
Pentaxian

Original Poster

An hour ago 4-5 YT reviews appeared!...i wasnt going to post the DPreview one...ha ha ha
08-22-2018, 11:28 PM   #29
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
An hour ago 4-5 YT reviews appeared!...i wasnt going to post the DPreview one...ha ha ha
Given the amount of material they pull out at the moment for Nikon, you can imaging they did not have time to spend for a proper review of the Pentax DFA*50.
08-23-2018, 05:50 AM   #30
Veteran Member

Welp, Nikon came first with the shift to full-fledged mirrorless among the three remaining DSLR makers...
Canon is prolly following suit soon.

I feel sad for Pentax's lost opportunity with what they could've done with the K-01. Sadly, their very own legacy became the Achilles Heel of the brand - and now Pentax is barely catching up.

Good job Nikon for taking the risk. Luckily they're big enough to soften the blow if the products fail