Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 32 Likes Search this Thread
08-24-2018, 05:34 AM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I'm sure there are use cases but I can't fathom being upset by this.
Tech spec envy???

For a MILC, the battery life is more a matter of the live view EVF/screen on-time than the number of shots taken.

The CIPA standard for battery life basically does 1 shot every 30 seconds with a power on/off cycle every 10 shots. For a MILC, that means running the sensor, CPU, and EVF or screen full time with 2 shutter presses per minute. On the Z6, that means 410/2 = 205 minutes or almost 3 hours of always-on shooting time. The hours of battery life might be less for continuous burst but probably not that much less because the displays are the big power hog in the system and both shooting and live view use the sensor and CPU full time.

Even the most machine-gunning photographer could probably do fine with a Z6 if they simply remembered to always swap batteries every 1.5 to 2 hours.

08-24-2018, 06:28 AM - 1 Like   #32
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
Tech spec envy???

For a MILC, the battery life is more a matter of the live view EVF/screen on-time than the number of shots taken.

The CIPA standard for battery life basically does 1 shot every 30 seconds with a power on/off cycle every 10 shots. For a MILC, that means running the sensor, CPU, and EVF or screen full time with 2 shutter presses per minute. On the Z6, that means 410/2 = 205 minutes or almost 3 hours of always-on shooting time. The hours of battery life might be less for continuous burst but probably not that much less because the displays are the big power hog in the system and both shooting and live view use the sensor and CPU full time.

Even the most machine-gunning photographer could probably do fine with a Z6 if they simply remembered to always swap batteries every 1.5 to 2 hours.
I often shoot with a gx1 (with the optional evf) using generic batteries which tend to have lower life per charge. The gx1 original battery is rated at 320 shots. I rarely need more than one battery in a day of shooting, but I'm not shooting dozens of shots a minute very frequently during a shooting day.
08-24-2018, 06:39 AM   #33
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have at least half-a-dozen batteries for my Q-7 ..... but they aren't much larger than a US quarter.
Attached Images

08-24-2018, 02:08 PM   #34
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
An opinion from a Nikon Fanboys perspective,its highly critical.

08-24-2018, 02:37 PM - 2 Likes   #35
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
An opinion from a Nikon Fanboys perspective,its highly critical.
? Z NIKON ? What Nikon is HIDING FROM YOU about it - YouTube
LOL! Nikon is DOOOOMED!

Optimists outnumber pessimists but pessimists sure are loud!
08-24-2018, 03:01 PM - 1 Like   #36
Pentaxian

LOL! Nikon is DOOOOMED!
But you always expected they would catch up to Pentax!
08-24-2018, 03:19 PM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
But you always expected they would catch up to Pentax!
You mean Pentax was leading at something?

08-24-2018, 03:41 PM   #38
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mark Ransom Quote
You mean Pentax was leading at something?
Yes, theyve been the leading "doomed" company genre ...most probably they will keep up the good work!
08-24-2018, 03:48 PM   #39
mee
Veteran Member

I love my K-01, but the AF is horrific. Give it a hybrid AF system and it becomes workable. Put a FF sensor in the back and it gets even better. Put in an EVF and nobody would have anything to complain about.

Just wait for the almost inevitable K mount adapter for the Z bodies that will be on ebay via China sometime next year or so. That said, maybe Metabones will start cranking them out..

That mount looks super adaptable.. so I suspect there will be a ton of adapters for it... hopefully with some level of decency with respect to both AE and AF.

The fun thing (for Nikon) will be, if this happens, they can likely siphon more money from users.. because maybe they want a walk around native zoom or prime to go with all their adapter-used lenses and then see the experience is nice. So then they buy another.. eventually they have a collection of Nikon gear and welcome to the club.

The S series lenses that are coming with the Z bodies look very nice optically.. at least if the 35 f/1.8 is typical. Edge sharpness is up there even at max aperture (there is a review out there with someone who has a copy of it and a Z7 with 100% photo examples).

I think all the talk of one card slot or two will slowly fade as people actually start using the system... for what it is, it looks pretty nice. Definitely a nice start to a new series and mount. I think we see mirrorless D6 like body next year and an update a year or two later for the Z6 and 7. So it is just getting started.

What really hasn't been discussed yet is if Nikon plans on introducing new features to the Z6/Z7 over time via firmware revisions. If they added a 3D tracking mode and maybe some form of eye-tracking later that could really squash some of the bigger noise. Plus, they could offer a second slot in a battery grip... not sure if they will but theoretically possible. Early days..
08-24-2018, 03:55 PM   #40
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MikeyBugs95 Quote
..It's the flange distance. Notice the flange focal distance differences of the Pentax K, Sony E and Nikon Z mounts. It's this distance, the distance from the sensor to the mount flange, that is a strong factor in determining the thickness of a camera ...
Yeah, i see the flange distance and i also see the diameter of both Pentax and sony. That why i was wondering if they can shorten flange focal distance with a new lenses design using the existing K mount. By a look of a non-engineere eyes, diameter of K is only 2 mm smaller than the Sony one but Sony design has a lot shorter flange distance. Lead me to think that, if Pentax give it a try, they might be able to reduce the flange distance with out making a new mount and end up with maybe a 3-4 mm thicker mirrorless body than current sony body.
And .... of course .... existing lenses will need to work with an adapter..... which on another thought, it is a kind of makes noooo sense if existing lenses need an adapter anyway
08-24-2018, 04:00 PM   #41
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Just wait for the almost inevitable K mount adapter for the Z bodies that will be on ebay via China sometime next year or so. That said, maybe Metabones will start cranking them out..

That mount looks super adaptable.. so I suspect there will be a ton of adapters for it... hopefully with some level of decency with respect to both AE and AF.

The fun thing (for Nikon) will be, if this happens, they can likely siphon more money from users.. because maybe they want a walk around native zoom or prime to go with all their adapter-used lenses and then see the experience is nice. So then they buy another.. eventually they have a collection of Nikon gear and welcome to the club.
I read somewhere that Nikon won't be sharing the technical details of the mount, they want to keep tight control over it. Those adapters might not be as plentiful as you think.

The S series lenses that are coming with the Z bodies look very nice optically.. at least if the 35 f/1.8 is typical. Edge sharpness is up there even at max aperture (there is a review out there with someone who has a copy of it and a Z7 with 100% photo examples).
I'd be curious to see how their 50/1.8 stacks up against the DFA 50/1.4, at half the price.

I think all the talk of one card slot or two will slowly fade as people actually start using the system... for what it is, it looks pretty nice. Definitely a nice start to a new series and mount. I think we see mirrorless D6 like body next year and an update a year or two later for the Z6 and 7. So it is just getting started.

What really hasn't been discussed yet is if Nikon plans on introducing new features to the Z6/Z7 over time via firmware revisions. If they added a 3D tracking mode and maybe some form of eye-tracking later that could really squash some of the bigger noise. Plus, they could offer a second slot in a battery grip... not sure if they will but theoretically possible. Early days..
The dual card slots appear to be absolutely critical if you're doing paid work, which is a decent hunk of the Nikon customer base.
08-24-2018, 04:21 PM - 1 Like   #42
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I read somewhere that Nikon won't be sharing the technical details of the mount, they want to keep tight control over it. Those adapters might not be as plentiful as you think.
When did that ever stop third party lenses & adapters for EOS? Sigma reverse engineered EOS, made lenses for EOS, then changed the electrical contacts and called it SA mount...
08-24-2018, 04:25 PM   #43
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
When did that ever stop third party lenses & adapters for EOS? Sigma reverse engineered EOS, made lenses for EOS, then changed the electrical contacts and called it SA mount...
The more electronic the mount gets, the harder it is to reverse engineer. And I didn't say impossible, just not plentiful.

Given how hard it has been to get third party support for Pentax products lately, I expect a K-mount adapter to be at the bottom of the priority list.
08-24-2018, 04:26 PM   #44
mee
Veteran Member

I'm unaware they have ever offered technical details of the mount to 3rd parties. The 3rd parties have to reverse engineer it.
08-24-2018, 04:27 PM   #45
Pentaxian

This is me nitpicking:

- Should've had 2 XQD memory card slots or 2 UHS-II card slots (having 1 xqd+1sd card slot would slowed down the writing speed)

- Lens selection off the bat (to me) is shit, seem to me to be consumer grade lenses. They've been hyping how much light gathering capabilities the camera's can do, why not make the primes f1.4's (excluding the 58mm Noct & 50mm f1.2) to show off those capabilities? And why no f2.8 Trinity right off the bat?