Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 32 Likes Search this Thread
08-24-2018, 04:28 PM   #46
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mark Ransom Quote
The more electronic the mount gets, the harder it is to reverse engineer. And I didn't say impossible, just not plentiful.

Given how hard it has been to get third party support for Pentax products lately, I expect a K-mount adapter to be at the bottom of the priority list.
I suspect it will be easy enough..

But yes K mount adapter will probably be later.

What will really be amusing is if some 3rd party develops an adapter for Z series to use EF lenses on it. Then you would have a true CaNikon.

08-24-2018, 04:44 PM   #47
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
And afaik Nikon hasn't released any info yet on what the battery life/shots per charge is yet but people have been "quoting ~300" (which I HIGHLY doubt). Truthfully I see the battery life for both Z camera's being compairable to or better to Sony's equivalent mirrorless camera's.
08-24-2018, 05:17 PM   #48
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by disconnekt Quote
And afaik Nikon hasn't released any info yet on what the battery life/shots per charge is yet but people have been "quoting ~300" (which I HIGHLY doubt). Truthfully I see the battery life for both Z camera's being compairable to or better to Sony's equivalent mirrorless camera's.
We already discussed that on the first page..

Nikon Z6 What did they get right/wrong? - PentaxForums.com
08-24-2018, 05:17 PM   #49
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
And afaik Nikon
It was in the live feed....330

08-24-2018, 07:50 PM - 1 Like   #50
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This is me nitpicking:

- Should've had 2 XQD memory card slots or 2 UHS-II card slots (having 1 xqd+1sd card slot would slowed down the writing speed)

- Lens selection off the bat (to me) is shit, seem to me to be consumer grade lenses. They've been hyping how much light gathering capabilities the camera's can do, why not make the primes f1.4's (excluding the 58mm Noct & 50mm f1.2) to show off those capabilities? And why no f2.8 Trinity right off the bat?
I would argue that the f2.8 lenses would be counterproductive. They would eat into existing F mount 2.8's and many users would already have those. The lenses wouldn't be much smaller than F mount and so in this way they can upsell. The buyer gets the F adapter for the fast glass they have and then picks up a smaller mirrorless only lens with superb sharpness (not seemingly consumer grade from the few people I have seen posting about using them so far).
08-24-2018, 08:37 PM   #51
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I would argue that the f2.8 lenses would be counterproductive. They would eat into existing F mount 2.8's and many users would already have those. The lenses wouldn't be much smaller than F mount and so in this way they can upsell. The buyer gets the F adapter for the fast glass they have and then picks up a smaller mirrorless only lens with superb sharpness (not seemingly consumer grade from the few people I have seen posting about using them so far).
Kinda on the fence on it truthfully.

One one hand at least they're not doing what $ony is doing and coming out with expen$ive ass gla$$ right out the gate that's aimed ag the pro market, and they have a native adapter that works with a good bulk of their F-mount system so at least they got some extra time to work on get the higher-end glass for the Z-system.

On the other hand they've been hyping the "Optical Performance" of the new mount so much, why not put out some fast native glass out, a couple f1.4 primes & f2.8 zooms, to show off the "Optical Performance" right out the gate and have people drooling?
08-24-2018, 08:41 PM   #52
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
While I'm certainly a fan of dual card slots - my main reason is that in my K-3 I use a flu card for JPG and a regular card for RAW or similar setup. With built in wireless I'm not sure that the need for dual card is as high as it once was. Capacity isn't needed these days and the reliability is high. I would expect the ability to tether and pull at least jpgs off wirelessly would mitigate the risk a bit from a pro perspective.

08-24-2018, 10:11 PM - 1 Like   #53
mee
Veteran Member

Kinda on the fence on it truthfully.

One one hand at least they're not doing what $ony is doing and coming out with expen$ive ass gla$$ right out the gate that's aimed ag the pro market, and they have a native adapter that works with a good bulk of their F-mount system so at least they got some extra time to work on get the higher-end glass for the Z-system.

On the other hand they've been hyping the "Optical Performance" of the new mount so much, why not put out some fast native glass out, a couple f1.4 primes & f2.8 zooms, to show off the "Optical Performance" right out the gate and have people drooling?
Because that doesn't pay the bills... f/1.8 primes do though.

Look at the Z roadmap.. from petapixel:

Besides, from the release, Nikon stated the S line of lenses (these new Z camera lenses) have better quality control and performance than previous lenses. There are a few early reviews out there if you're interested in googling... the sharpness is edge to edge even at f/1.8 on those primes. I think they're a bit higher in quality than the typical cheapo f/1.8 lenses... hence probably the pricing. They're a bit more upscale in performance..
08-24-2018, 11:21 PM   #54
Pentaxian

Onion ring lenses

Now that Nikon 24-70/4 (APSC equivalent 16-45/2.8) is one crappy zoom lens with bad onion ring bokeh:

DPReview TV: Nikon Z 7 Hands-On First Impressions (In Seattle!) - YouTube
08-25-2018, 12:58 AM   #55
Pentaxian

A good summation

08-25-2018, 01:03 AM   #56
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote

Besides, from the release, Nikon stated the S line of lenses (these new Z camera lenses) have better quality control and performance than previous lenses. There are a few early reviews out there if you're interested in googling... the sharpness is edge to edge even at f/1.8 on those primes. I think they're a bit higher in quality than the typical cheapo f/1.8 lenses... hence probably the pricing. They're a bit more upscale in performance..
Yeah, that's what I was thinking: the Higher-end fast lenses that sell may help pay the bills, but the cheaper slightly slower lenses, even if they're ~10% or so better in performance than the F-mount equivalent, will help pay those bills alot quicker.
08-25-2018, 01:06 AM   #57
Pentaxian

For me what's shocking is that the Nikon Z7 has been announced 2 days ago, not even available in stores, and even DPR wrote an additional article about hits and misses and looking forward to the future. Long story short, the camera is already dead in two days long before it's available for sales. Internet is much much faster than real life it seems, people feel entitled to vandalize a new product before it even is available for sale. It remembers me how spoiled children behave with abusing their newly offered toys. This kind of attitude (Sony fanboys) is just disgusting piece of junk.
08-25-2018, 01:17 AM   #58
Pentaxian

Another view

08-25-2018, 01:42 AM   #59
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
I think its also to give you the feeling that it is a smaller system when compared to other formats out there.

I have a feeling that right out of the gates Nikon wanted to give its users what many wanted in a mirrorless camera, something that can be used right along side what they are already using.

Lenses are fast enough while balancing them with performance. I don't think there will be this great big migration of DLSR users dumping there camera for ML but that people wanting the ability to have a small FF system for the times they what something smaller without many of the sacrifices you have going with other ML camera. all while having the ability to use your more expensive lenses on this body when you want too.

Last edited by Ian Stuart Forsyth; 08-25-2018 at 01:50 AM.
08-25-2018, 01:51 AM   #60
Pentaxian

As I see it Nikon played the waiting game in the mirrorles slr tech relm, and with their 1st Gen releases they match roughly 90% of what $ony's 3rd Gen mirrorless offer, it's just a waiting game to see how well the perfomance of the Z6 & Z7 are, not only with the adapter & F-mount lenses (even 3rd party ones) but with the native mount lenses.