Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-26-2018, 02:42 AM   #106
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
And WHY XQD?

SD cards can do an adequate job.Why pay the BIG price of XQD.

Adapter 150 and 150-250 for a card!....

---------- Post added 08-26-18 at 09:02 PM ----------

This guy makes some very relevant points.

08-26-2018, 03:56 AM   #107
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
And WHY XQD?
Well,one reason is form factor is same as a faster card thats coming and a firmware update makes the faster card compatible.

So when the faster card fails the non existent 2nd slot didnt have its hardware updated.
08-26-2018, 09:25 AM   #108
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Honestly, the issue is more with Nikon's pricing than anything else. Both cameras feel like they are about 25 percent more expensive than they should be. As far as lenses, they are asking the same for the 24-70 f4 that Pentax is asking for their 24-70 f2.8 (it is cheaper when part of a kit). The primes seem really expensive too.
+1

It is a question of price/benefit. If the Z6 was a $1500 camera (not 2450 EUR) and the Z7 a $2500 camera (not 3850 EUR) plus the lenses at prices on par with their existing cousins (e.g. $130 for a 50/1.8) then everybody would see a normal tradeoff situation.

They position themselves much higher than others so then they have to be judged by that price.
08-26-2018, 09:55 AM   #109
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
They position themselves much higher than others so then they have to be judged by that price.
That one really confused the K-1 reviewers - only the other way round

08-26-2018, 10:03 AM   #110
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
That one really confused the K-1 reviewers - only the other way round
Certain wanna-be-reviewers tend to compare Pentax cameras to their beloved brand camera A when it comes to price and camera B when it comes to features. Problem solved.
08-26-2018, 12:37 PM   #111
Veteran Member

compared to Sony products at the same prices, these don't feel like anything special.
Agreed. And the A7 III, the nearest Sony direct competitor for the Z6, looks like it will be about 20% cheaper than the Z6. Plus it has two card slots and tons of available lenses.

Moreover, anyone who wants FF mirrorless and 5-axis stabilization but doesn't need 4K video could get an A7 II for about half the price of a Z6.
08-26-2018, 12:54 PM - 1 Like   #112
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This guy makes some very relevant points.

Nikon Full-Frame Z6 & Z7 Dead on Arrival? - YouTube
I don't need some talking head to tell me what I can read from the specs for myself. The issue is whether Nikon users will purchase them - and right now they are.

08-26-2018, 01:05 PM   #113
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
The issue is whether Nikon users will purchase them - and right now they are.
Of course the Nikon Fanboys will PreOrder, but can Nikon "supply" it...That might be difficult,just ask the ones who want to buy a D850!

---------- Post added 08-27-18 at 07:09 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Moreover, anyone who wants FF mirrorless and 5-axis stabilization but doesn't need 4K video could get an A7 II for about half the price of a Z6.
Yes and about the same rated battery life as Z6/7.That leaves enough for the Tamron 28-75mm and battery grip.
08-26-2018, 01:09 PM - 1 Like   #114
Pentaxian

Of course the Nikon Fanboys will PreOrder, but can Nikon "supply" it...That might be difficult,just ask the ones who want to buy a D850!
As long as Nikon users order these cameras, instead of some other brand, they have done their job of keeping current users "in the fold".
08-26-2018, 01:16 PM   #115
Pentaxian

As long as Nikon users order these cameras, instead of some other brand, they have done their job of keeping current users "in the fold".
Yes,of course...However, the Fanboys will run out.If i remember correctly the K-1 was in very high demand in the early stages and thats from the smallest user base.

These 2 Nikons provided "free" advertising for $$$ony and Fuji,as well as confirming that M/L to Dslr take up will accelerate.
08-26-2018, 01:20 PM   #116
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't need some talking head to tell me what I can read from the specs for myself. The issue is whether Nikon users will purchase them - and right now they are.
Actually, I think the question isn't whether Nikon users will purchase them -- of course they will -- the question is if it slows the exodus of Nikon users to other brands and actually attracts new users to the brand. Every camera that has been released has sold "some" copies. The most recent examples of camera lines being discontinued were the Q, 1 series, and NX cameras from Pentax, Nikon and Samsung respectively.

Everyone of those cameras were mirrorless and sold lots of copies and yet at the end of the day, they were abandoned. I don't think there is any chance of that happening here, but there have been mirrorless proponents who make it sound as though you just have to release a mirrorless camera into the market and it will wipe up the table with any SLRs that remain around. The reality is that mirrorless market is just as difficult as the SLR market and if you don't choose your launch price and specifications carefully, your initial forays into that market could fail just as easily as many attempts in the past.
08-27-2018, 08:44 AM   #117
Pentaxian

Actually, I think the question isn't whether Nikon users will purchase them -- of course they will -- the question is if it slows the exodus of Nikon users to other brands and actually attracts new users to the brand.
My Nikon using colleagues will not buy a Z6 or Z7. Even they were so underwhelmed, that the majority stays with DSLR and two will now jump ship to Sony.

So, yes, some die hard Nikon fans will bite - like a few did with the Df. But the majority even of the easiest to convince group doesnt see a good buying reason.

Nevertheless this has a chance to slow down the exodus of former Nikon users a little. Once used prices of first generation Z6/Z7 bodies start to drop after 6 months we'll see the real results.

DSLMs have a strong tendency to have manufacturer fixed sales prices for a long time, even while market demand has already plummeted, so used prices are the only real measure.
08-28-2018, 03:29 PM   #118
Pentaxian

Some more failures from Nikon

Well RE inventing Mirrorless isnt going to Plan.

Nikon executives have announced that the ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ is asleep...or the production guys have been they cant supply the pre -orders and itll be months till they can.Same problem with the D850.

The Battery grip contains 2 batteries,its NOT a vertical grip for portrait shooting.

They will "monitor" the reaction to the battery performance and the 2 card slot situation.

They stated that there is a higher end model "planned" with 2 card slots,therefore admitting these 2 recent announcements are merely enthusiast models.The launch specifically stated these 2 cameras were for "professional and enthusiast use".

Another laughable thing going around from some Nikon fanboys defending the one card slot,ha ha...they say the second slot is your smartphone...yes just synch over and theres all the wonderful Jpgs!...still searching for the raws and Nlog files.

Last edited by surfar; 08-28-2018 at 10:10 PM.
08-28-2018, 04:20 PM   #119
Pentaxian

I've followed Kaleb (YouTube's "DSLR Video Shooter") for a few years now. I've learned much him.

Yesterday he posted a video on how most reviewers have gotten it completely wrong regarding their negative opinions on the new Nikon mirrorless cameras.

Kaleb claims that the new Nikon Z6, with its' 10- bit 4K video is a potential game changer for DSLR video. Full frame, 10-bit, 4K is a format you usually don't get with cameras at this price.

So, for those of you, like me, who shoot lots of video with DSLR cameras, you just might want to check out the below video.

While these new Nikon cameras will certainly not tempt me to switch from Pentax K-1 for stills, when I someday upgrade my video recording capability I will give serious consideration to this new Nikon camera.

Last edited by Fenwoodian; 08-28-2018 at 04:33 PM.
08-28-2018, 04:36 PM   #120
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote
10-bit 4K is a format you don't get with cameras at this price.
Huh? For video, a BlackMagicDesign Pocket Cinema Camera 4K will give you way more pro video options than the Nikon, including '13 stops dynamic range' which is probably equal to the value of '10 bit 4K', at half the price.