Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-23-2018, 03:57 PM   #1
Forum Member

Nikon Z6 What did they get right/wrong?

The Nikon Z6 is one of the first mirrorless cameras I would actually consider. It is a decent size with a good grip and an EVF with minimal lag. I like that its full frame rather than APS-C with a CMOS sensor rather than X-TRANS etc. The price point is also tempting at under $2000 USD. The flange distance is very small which should make it compatible with multiple lenses via adapter. The only problem I have with it is the 410 shot battery life. That would be a deal breaker.

Nikon Z6 Mirrorless Digital Camera (Body Only) 1595 B&H Photo

What do you think Ricoh/Pentax can do to compete? What features etc. There may not be enough desire among current Pentax users to have a comparable mirrorless body but it would help bring in new people to the brand. What if Ricoh/Pentax has secretly been working on a mirrorless body to release during the 100th anniversary next year? I believe this type of event/release would be the only one large enough to gain a reasonable amount of attention from the press.

08-23-2018, 04:02 PM - 1 Like   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What would Pentax bring to the table that's new? I'm sure they will eventually follow suit with a similar system once DSLRs go out of fashion, but for now they should just focus ons staying current with tech will innovating on image quality.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-23-2018, 04:08 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
What would Pentax bring to the table that's new? I'm sure they will eventually follow suit with a similar system once DSLRs go out of fashion, but for now they should just focus ons staying current with tech will innovating on image quality.
I believe it will be most difficult for them to compete with price. I remember when the K-1 released and it was at such a great price point but now with the Z6 releasing around the same price, I don't see how Pentax can keep up. I thought eventually the mirrorless hype would die down, but its clear it is here to stay now.
08-23-2018, 04:37 PM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ShaunW Quote
the 410 shot battery life
Nikon are quoting 330,Sonys battery is twice that.....I'm sure in real world use, can be stretched.

Nikon got ergonomics right,probably menu, WR , AF for video and the fact existing Nikon shooters can use their F mount lenses back to 1959.

The BIG fail is one card slot,the battery life,the fact the battery grip isnt ready.The 58mm f0.95 is manual only.(when its available)

08-23-2018, 04:51 PM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I'm now convinced that a Pentax MILC would make sense only if they kept the K-mount; they don't have the resources to develop yet another lens family. That is also the new thing they would bring to the table. Whether that is enough is a question I don't feel qualified to answer.
08-23-2018, 04:55 PM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

The Z6 seems very similar to the Sony A7iii. Nikon IMO made a smart move starting with the compact, economical 24-70 f4 rather than the f2.8 which will come later.

Shortcomings of the Z6 include: Short battery life. Impressive maximum burst speed is reportedly handicapped by viewfinder not refreshing and a small buffer; I think bursts are limited to 5.5 fps if you need to pan with movement.

Let the Z6, A7iii, and whatever comes from Canon fight it out. The camera market is smaller than it used to be because of smartphones. Maybe Ricoh doesn't want to get in the middle of that mess; maintaining market share at a profit is better than growing market share while bankrupting the company.
08-23-2018, 05:13 PM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I'm now convinced that a Pentax MILC would make sense only if they kept the K-mount; they don't have the resources to develop yet another lens family. That is also the new thing they would bring to the table. Whether that is enough is a question I don't feel qualified to answer.
Would you welcome a K-01 mk II? I certainly would.

08-23-2018, 05:14 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
The only problem I have with it is the 410 shot battery life. That would be a deal breaker.
Although short by competing digital camera standards, it's the equivalent of over 11 rolls of 36-exp film.

Spare batteries are pretty cheap and lightweight. But each photographer has to decide if the hassles of swapping exceed batteries whatever other benefits the camera might offer (if any).
08-23-2018, 05:26 PM - 2 Likes   #9
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
Nikon are quoting 330,Sonys battery is twice that.....I'm sure in real world use, can be stretched.
Stretched quite a bit:

QuoteOriginally posted by http://www.rossharvey.com/reviews/nikon-z7-review:
Battery Life

Just to re-iterate; I was using a pre production model. The battery usage wasn't fully optimised at that point, and I was told it would be improved when released. Having said that, I was getting around 800-1000 images per battery. Update: I've just finished presenting and shooting at the Nikon UK launch event in London. The official rating is around 330 shots per battery. I have no idea how they ended up at that figure as I had shot a shade under 500 images at the event and only 1/5th of the battery was used. All good there!

Nikon got ergonomics right,probably menu, WR , AF for video and the fact existing Nikon shooters can use their F mount lenses back to 1959.

The BIG fail is one card slot,the battery life,the fact the battery grip isnt ready.The 58mm f0.95 is manual only.(when its available)
The BIG failure is you said fail and not failure. Grammatically incorrect gamerspeak I know.. I know.. But, yes, the single card slot is going to be a deal breaker for some people.. I think event and wedding photogs mostly. Perhaps the battery grip will come with a second slot though? Pure speculation on my part but it would be a nice work around.

The original NOCT lens was manual focus too.. that's just a flagship showroom lens to show off the brand and the more reasonably priced products. At f/0.95 on full frame, I'm guessing you'll want to use focus peaking in the EVF and manually focus anyways. Then again, I wonder how thin that in focus plane will be...
08-23-2018, 05:26 PM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

Would you welcome a K-01 mk II? I certainly would.
I tend to use the notation K-07, which to me represents the innards of a K-70 packaged in a MILC shell with an EVF.
If this were priced no more than a KP or so, I would purchase it .... but I don't expect Pentax to produce it.
08-23-2018, 05:39 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
I know.. I know
Thats good!

the single card slot is going to be a deal breaker for some people.. I think event and wedding photogs mostly.
They come to mind.

Perhaps the battery grip will come with a second slot though? Pure speculation on my part but it would be a nice work around.
It doesnt, from the info ive viewed(not sure where it was because theres lotsa AV and written stuff online.

---------- Post added 08-24-18 at 11:41 AM ----------

that's just a flagship showroom lens to show off the brand and the more reasonably priced

The Noct 58mm is rumoured to be around U$ 6000!
08-23-2018, 05:43 PM - 1 Like   #12
mee
Veteran Member

What do you think Ricoh/Pentax can do to compete? What features etc. There may not be enough desire among current Pentax users to have a comparable mirrorless body but it would help bring in new people to the brand. What if Ricoh/Pentax has secretly been working on a mirrorless body to release during the 100th anniversary next year? I believe this type of event/release would be the only one large enough to gain a reasonable amount of attention from the press.
I don't think they can or will compete. I think they'll keep rolling out incrementally updated DSLRs until it starts losing money... whenever that is.. 20 years from now.. or next Tuesday. I don't foresee them joining the mirrorless race. It would cost way too much money to invest research and development into a couple mirrorless bodies and a competitive lens lineup. They are so slow with DFA lenses for a camera already on the market for 2 years.. they wouldn't make an about face now.. I wouldn't think at least as they seem committed to what they started.

IF they wanted to go mirrorless, I think a smarter move would be mirrorless medium format body and a few lenses. Medium Format bodies are so massive due to the large mirrorbox that it would help shrink bodies down to a more reasonable size. Plus they wouldn't need a huge lens lineup to get cooking.. But this is neither here nor there as Ricoh has over the years repeated they are focused on Pentax as a DSLR brand.
08-23-2018, 05:46 PM   #13
mee
Veteran Member

Thats good!

They come to mind.

It doesnt, from the info ive viewed(not sure where it was because theres lotsa AV and written stuff online.

---------- Post added 08-24-18 at 11:41 AM ----------

The Noct 58mm is rumoured to be around U$ 6000!
Nikon rep gave the retail price of it and all other products coming this year and early next year in the livecast announcement. Of course it was in yen so I didn't understand. But it is beyond rumor what the price will be.. and yes it will be expensive. That is similar to the Corvette sitting on the showroom floor to draw people in who will be sold Camaros and Silverados.

Btw you made no mention of the battery life of the Z7 (same rating as the Z6) being much higher than the Nikon rating.. surely that is a positive you can appreciate no?
08-23-2018, 06:25 PM   #14
Pentaxian

If Pentax were to make a mirrorless camera (and I hope they do just to gain market share and more "notability" with the rest of the photography world) I think that instead of making an entirely new, and expensive, lens line, instead they should make a native K-"X" mount adapter and package it with the camera. This way, users can natively mount their lenses and Ricoh/Pentax wouldn't have to worry about making a completely new line immediately.

Last edited by MikeyBugs95; 08-23-2018 at 07:01 PM.
08-23-2018, 07:33 PM - 1 Like   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
Although short by competing digital camera standards, it's the equivalent of over 11 rolls of 36-exp film.

Spare batteries are pretty cheap and lightweight. But each photographer has to decide if the hassles of swapping exceed batteries whatever other benefits the camera might offer (if any).
I'm sure there are use cases but I can't fathom being upset by this.