Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 12 Likes Search this Thread
08-26-2018, 03:50 PM - 1 Like   #31
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
Its miraculous @Mark has even heard of $$$ony or $ony&Chelsea considering he lives at the end of the Earth.Even his Wugby team plays in monochrome(and will be behind tonight!)
What was that about our Rugby team?

08-26-2018, 03:51 PM - 1 Like   #32
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Did Nikon honestly get it wrong, though? I'm sure there are plenty of things that could be improved on the Z6 & 7... but - for existing Nikon DSLR and lens owners, at least - these bodies surely offer a lot of attractive features, largely (if not totally) comparable to their Sony counterparts? Or have I missed something? It's entirely possible I have, as I've only scanned the specs and watched a little of Sony Northrup's preview...

(Thanks to @MarkJerling for alerting me to the nickname "Sony Northrup" - priceless )
One of my better moments.

I'm here every Tuesday. Don't touch the nuts.
08-26-2018, 04:25 PM   #33
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
What was that about our Rugby team?
They've only won a couple of games lately!....What about your Tennis team?
08-26-2018, 05:30 PM   #34
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
They've only won a couple of games lately!....What about your Tennis team?
I did not know we had such a thing! I only follow cycling! (And occasionally yachtsmen who pretend to be cyclists)

08-28-2018, 01:38 AM - 1 Like   #35

IMHO the problem for Canon full frame mirrorless is the Mount:

- EF is large almost like Nikon Z... but the flange distance of EF Lenses is too long/made for SLR... you'll have a boxy mirrorless if you want to keep the old lenses.

- EF-M is small almost like Sony... so for Full Frame you will have limitations with fast lenses/IBIS etc etc.

- So... create a third mount... large like EF but short flange distance like EF-M... and a new system of lenses? Great, now you have pissed-off almost everybody!

But hey... Canon doesn't seem a company too worried about pissing off the customers... looking at the transition FD-> EOS... it can happen again...
08-28-2018, 01:41 AM   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rognone Quote
But hey... Canon doesn't seem a company too worried about pissing off the customers... looking at the transition FD-> EOS... it can happen again.
History perhaps shows that the damage wasn't permanent
08-28-2018, 02:35 AM   #37

QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
History perhaps shows that the damage wasn't permanent
Oh ffking if that isn't right!
That EOS move was really revolutionary... after 2 decades of trying to "steal the pro-market" from Nikon... Canon won the battle.
But now, the place are somewhat inverted: Sony is the underdog with the innovations, and Canon is the leader...
and man, the Sony A9 in its own way was sort of a "revolution"... so will Canon try to show the "brute force", or will continue with these baby steps?
I don't know... it sure is exciting to see what the future will be in the industry.

08-28-2018, 02:43 AM   #38
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rognone Quote
IMHO the problem for Canon full frame mirrorless is the Mount:

- EF is large almost like Nikon Z... but the flange distance of EF Lenses is too long/made for SLR... you'll have a boxy mirrorless if you want to keep the old lenses.

- EF-M is small almost like Sony... so for Full Frame you will have limitations with fast lenses/IBIS etc etc.

- So... create a third mount... large like EF but short flange distance like EF-M... and a new system of lenses? Great, now you have pissed-off almost everybody!

But hey... Canon doesn't seem a company too worried about pissing off the customers... looking at the transition FD-> EOS... it can happen again...
People who really want mirrorless aren't bothered to use lenses with an adapter, as long it is fairly functional, or so I have been told. It does seem silly for everyone of these traditional mounts to be releasing cameras with new mounts for the mirrorless era, but since the underlying goal is to sell more lenses, it wouldn't make sense to join Sony's mount, make a camera and then end up with you users buying FE mount lenses instead of Canon lenses for your camera.
08-28-2018, 04:31 AM   #39
Pentaxian

Original Poster
The "loose" specs of the new Canon are 26mp sensor,dual pixel AF,4K video...and the price@ U$ 1900.Only off a rumour site so may not be believable.There should be some substantial news in next few days.
08-28-2018, 04:39 AM   #40
Pentaxian

Canonrumors is retracting from their stance it wouldn't come yet. It looks to be straightly aimed at the $2000 segment where the K-1 also is in:
We were wrong, all of your Canon mirrorless dreams are likely coming true soon - Canon Rumors | Canon Rumors Forum

umored specifications
  • 28MP full frame sensor
  • Dual Pixel Auto Focus
  • IBIS (In Body Image Stabilisation)
  • 10fps shooting
  • 4k@30fps
  • 1080p@60fps
  • Priced $1,900
08-29-2018, 05:49 AM   #41
jnd

Those are strange specs as is the sudden change of announcement from hour to hour. But Canon needs to show something on Photokina after the Nikon is out. They mention this is not the high end model, it might as well be new EF-M iteration and not actually full frame, we will see, however I don't expect IBIS to be there.
08-29-2018, 05:50 AM   #42
jnd

Site timed out, sorry for the multiple post.

Last edited by jnd; 08-29-2018 at 06:30 AM. Reason: Duplicate post
08-29-2018, 12:29 PM   #43
Pentaxian

The latest via photorumors who got it from Canon Rumors:
CanonRumors now reports that the new Canon full frame mirrorless camera will be called EOS R:

• Name: Canon EOS R
  • RF Mount (New mount, possible EF compatibility?)
  • No reports of new “RF” lenses being announced alongside the body.
  • Similar ergonomics to the EOS M50 (pictured above)
  • Slightly larger body than the EOS M50
  • Will compete with the Sony A7 III & Nikon Z6
  • 24mp or 28mp (Two different reports)
  • Announcement September 5, 2018

---------- Post added 29-08-18 at 21:32 ----------

It sounds like Canon are still protecting their DSLRS by bringing a mirrorless with the limited controls of a M50
08-31-2018, 04:30 AM   #44
Pentaxian

Update from Nokishita:

I got to tell me what that was taken is confirmed by new product to announce from the source of overseas Canon September.
  • EOS R body
  • EOS R 24105 kit
  • RF 35mm F1.8M IS
  • RF 50mm F1.2L USM
  • RF 28-70mm F2L USM
  • RF 24-105mm F4L USM
  • EF-M32mm F1.4 STM
  • EF400mm F2.8L III
  • EF600mm F4L III
    • ※ lens name is not the official name, only the portion that is taken is confirmed
  • M (or Mount) adapter R?
    • Because the simple purchase orders not written only "M.ADAP R", "M.ADAP R ND" "M.ADAP R PL", the official name is unknown
  • The accessory list PD-E1 also available
08-31-2018, 09:19 AM   #45
Veteran Member

Well, if this rumor is true, I guess Canon was waiting to come out of the gate swinging. I’m sure someone will be mad about it all still, due to some missing spec or feature they deem irreplaceable.