Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
08-30-2018, 07:31 PM   #1

Nikon z mount to pentax

How long do you think it will take for someone to make a z-mount to k-mount like the Sony Mirrorless. I'm pretty interested in the Nikon but not in jumping away from Pentax. Would be great to use my Pentax glass on the Nikon Mirrorless.

08-30-2018, 07:33 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Justin.APR Quote
How long do you think it will take for someone to make a z-mount to k-mount like the Sony Mirrorless. I'm pretty interested in the Nikon but not in jumping away from Pentax. Would be great to use my Pentax glass on the Nikon Mirrorless.
You want a converter that will allow you to use K-mount lenses on Z-mount cameras?
08-30-2018, 07:34 PM   #3
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Not sure but Nikon has equally good glass I think.
08-30-2018, 07:49 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Would be great to use my Pentax glass on the Nikon Mirrorless.
I depends how the Z bodies interact with the lens. I would expect compatibility to Pentax K would be similar to that of non-AI F-mount. If I remember correctly, Z bodies don't work with non-AI lenses. This bodes poorly for broad compatibility such as is found on Sony and M43.

Steve

08-30-2018, 07:52 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

With the range of Nikon lenses available, and ability to use with the Nikon adapter, I don't think we'll see one like we did with the Sony counterpart. But I could be wrong.
08-30-2018, 08:42 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I depends how the Z bodies interact with the lens. I would expect compatibility to Pentax K would be similar to that of non-AI F-mount. If I remember correctly, Z bodies don't work with non-AI lenses. This bodes poorly for broad compatibility such as is found on Sony and M43.
It works with non-AI but not in AF mode. Also the details suggest that it stops down and meters right before shooting (at least in some modes) which they call out as helping deal with sticky aperture (which I guess it will if by deal with they mean expose right rather than give your lens a CLA and get rid of the problem).

They also speculate in places that we will see adapters for other camera lenses that this is part of the reason for the super short flange focal distance.

EDIT: Does anyone know what the "electronic rangefinder" does?
08-30-2018, 09:50 PM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
It works with non-AI but not in AF mode.
I guess it depends on which review one reads

I read that manual focus F-mount lenses are supported, but AI only. How the support is managed is a question of some interest since the Mount Adapter FTZ has no mechanical aperture actuator linkage. There is a compatibility matrix in the Nikkor-Z brochure (pp 34-36):
Nikkor-Z Brochure | PDF
From the brochure, it is explicit that aperture rings for non-chipped lenses (AI, AI-converted, and Nikkor E only) must be set to minimum aperture, modes are limited to Av and M and that metering is supported. Electronic rangefinder (focus confirm) is not supported. Due to lack of a mechanical aperture linkage, aperture operation would be full manual, I would expect.

Note: I am assuming that currently available images of the Mount Adapter FTZ are lacking critical details of the actual adapter.

I would also expect that a K-mount adapter might need to spoof an FTZ adapter with AI lens attached.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 08-30-2018 at 10:06 PM. Reason: Completeness
08-30-2018, 09:53 PM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
If it is possible to use a simple mechanical adapter without any form of communication between camera and lens on Nikon Z, then it will not take long before adapters for K-mount are available from Chinese manufacturers.

But it depends on what Nikon thinks of using adapted lenses on Z. They could just as well made it impossible to capture a shot unless the adapter comunicates with the camera.

Then it may take long time before adapters are available (if ever).
08-30-2018, 09:54 PM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
EDIT: Does anyone know what the "electronic rangefinder" does?
Electronic rangefinder is Nikonese for what Pentax calls "Focus Confirm".

Steve
08-30-2018, 10:22 PM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Mount Adapter FTZ has no mechanical aperture actuator linkage
I say this based on the brochure specification which strongly infers full-manual aperture. I am assuming that DPR got this one wrong since they were unable to test the adapter with any manual focus, non-chipped lenses and I strongly suspect that they did not actually see the adapter mount face.

Steve
08-30-2018, 11:57 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Due to the small number of Pentax users compared to Nikon, I don't think an adapter will be a priority for Nikon. A company like Fotodiox, etc. might introduce an all-manual adapter, without AF and without good aperture control.
08-31-2018, 02:40 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I think for lenses with aperture rings, a third party will come out with something within a year. Aperture control on K mount lenses with an aperture ring will be more dicey and take longer.
08-31-2018, 06:27 AM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
Due to the small number of Pentax users compared to Nikon, I don't think an adapter will be a priority for Nikon. A company like Fotodiox, etc. might introduce an all-manual adapter, without AF and without good aperture control.
The issue isn't users - the issue is legacy lenses out there. Many Nikon users might want to use Super Takumar and similar legacy lenses.
08-31-2018, 07:00 AM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
The issue isn't users - the issue is legacy lenses out there. Many Nikon users might want to use Super Takumar and similar legacy lenses.
Nikon likely doesn't care about making other lenses usable. Not a knock on Nikon - no camera manufacturer wants us to use their competitors' lenses.

Z users will need to wait for a 3rd party adapter.

Does anyone make an adapter that allows control of autofocus and aperture of k-mount from a Sony A7 body? I think it's only manual focus and limited aperture control. That's a sign of what to expect for Nikon Z.
08-31-2018, 08:14 AM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
Nikon likely doesn't care about making other lenses usable. Not a knock on Nikon - no camera manufacturer wants us to use their competitors' lenses.

Z users will need to wait for a 3rd party adapter.

Does anyone make an adapter that allows control of autofocus and aperture of k-mount from a Sony A7 body? I think it's only manual focus and limited aperture control. That's a sign of what to expect for Nikon Z.
And for the "Pentax" lenses Nikon users treasure that won't matter, because they're all manual anyway. For more recent history, Nikon users have plenty of "storied" lenses of their own.