Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-31-2018, 09:08 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I read that manual focus F-mount lenses are supported, but AI only. How the support is managed is a question of some interest since the Mount Adapter FTZ has no mechanical aperture actuator linkage.

From the brochure, it is explicit that aperture rings for non-chipped lenses (AI, AI-converted, and Nikkor E only) must be set to minimum aperture, modes are limited to Av and M and that metering is supported. Electronic rangefinder (focus confirm) is not supported. Due to lack of a mechanical aperture linkage, aperture operation would be full manual, I would expect.
I'm not sure where you found information on the lack of a mechanical aperture actuator. The Z mount lacks this but the adapter has it built in. In fact the Z mount tells the adapter what f stop to use electronically and the adapter implements it. This is why the lenses must be mounted with the aperture at the minimum (not maximum) since this is their equivalent of the Pentax A setting. Mounted this way - the lens is used with aperture open and then stopped down by the camera by a method much like Pentax uses - only the exposure appears to be set at the exact moment of stopping down (at least in A mode).

Here is an article confirming the presence of the lever:
Nikon F-Mount Adapter | Sans Mirror | Thom Hogan

08-31-2018, 12:58 PM   #17
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Here is an article confirming the presence of the lever:
Nikon F-Mount Adapter | Sans Mirror | Thom Hogan
Thanks! This article did not come up on my searches and his image of the adapter clearly shows the mechanical actuator linkage. Note that the article states that the mount lacks body-side AI support, meaning that maximum aperture would have to be entered manually. Whether aperture ring usage is per current-model Nikon bodies that lack AI support* is not clear from the article or the Nikon documentation. If aperture control is available through the adapter, why only M and Av modes? Until the manuals for both camera and adapter and/or actual hands-on reviews are available, some of this stuff will remain a mystery. Eventual support of a KTZ adapter depends heavily on the fine points.

Steve

* Without body-side AI support, lens opening is set using the aperture ring (that part is clear). How metering support on those cameras (e.g. D7500, D850) is done is not clear, me not having any depth of experience with such. Edit: Having done a bit more research, prosumer models have partial support in the form of an aperture-ring "follower" on the outer margin of the mount, but no maximum aperture tab inside. Telling the body the maximum aperture allows the body to display the current aperture and properly meter. Unless the image for the FTZ on Thom Hogan's site is wrong, the adapter lacks this feature and the body has no indication of aperture ring position.

Last edited by stevebrot; 08-31-2018 at 01:43 PM.
08-31-2018, 02:12 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Thanks! This article did not come up on my searches and his image of the adapter clearly shows the mechanical actuator linkage. Note that the article states that the mount lacks body-side AI support, meaning that maximum aperture would have to be entered manually. Whether aperture ring usage is per current-model Nikon bodies that lack AI support* is not clear from the article or the Nikon documentation. If aperture control is available through the adapter, why only M and Av modes? Until the manuals for both camera and adapter and/or actual hands-on reviews are available, some of this stuff will remain a mystery. Eventual support of a KTZ adapter depends heavily on the fine points.

Steve

* Without body-side AI support, lens opening is set using the aperture ring (that part is clear). How metering support on those cameras (e.g. D7500, D850) is done is not clear, me not having any depth of experience with such. Edit: Having done a bit more research, prosumer models have partial support in the form of an aperture-ring "follower" on the outer margin of the mount, but no maximum aperture tab inside. Telling the body the maximum aperture allows the body to display the current aperture and properly meter. Unless the image for the FTZ on Thom Hogan's site is wrong, the adapter lacks this feature and the body has no indication of aperture ring position.
They have said it requires mounting fully stopped down. My assumption is it works like Pentax Av mode. Stopping down as the image is taken.
09-01-2018, 05:19 PM   #19

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by twilhelm Quote
With the range of Nikon lenses available, and ability to use with the Nikon adapter, I don't think we'll see one like we did with the Sony counterpart. But I could be wrong.
Yeah that's true. Sony doesn't have such a large lens ecosystem. So people branched out.

01-15-2019, 12:45 AM   #20
Banned

Kipon said Merry Christmas to Pentax Forums and nobody even noticed...

KIPON PENTAX K TO NIKON Z ADAPTER: Kipon Pentax K Mount Lens to Nikon Z Mount Camera Adapter How did we all miss this?

If Pentax keeps holding out on Mirrorless, in 6 months several of us (including myself) will be walking around looking like this Nikon bro...
Attached Images

01-15-2019, 01:28 AM   #21
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by punkrachmaninov Quote
KIPON PENTAX K TO NIKON Z ADAPTER: Kipon Pentax K Mount Lens to Nikon Z Mount Camera Adapter How did we all miss this?
It's just a dumb K-mount adapter, the kind of which have been available for Sony mirrorless cameras for years. No operation of mechanical or electronic aperture, no communication of parameters between lens and camera. It's fine for manual focus / manual aperture lenses, but that's all. Nothing to see here

If Pentax keeps holding out on Mirrorless, in 6 months several of us (including myself) will be walking around looking like this Nikon bro...
The Z6 and Z7 seem like nice cameras, but I don't see what they offer Pentax enthusiasts that Sony cameras don't already - especially considering the even higher pricing.

Incidentally, I've been shooting the bargain basement Sony A7 MkII mirrorless for a couple of years now, alongside my Pentax DSLR gear. There's really no problem mixing brands...
01-15-2019, 02:20 AM   #22
Banned

"It's just a dumb K-mount adapter... Sony something something... It's fine for manual focus / manual aperture lenses, but that's all. Nothing to see here..."
-bigmackcam (2019)

as i shoot documentary video when i am not sitting around on my chesterfield writing stuff, i am excited about the potentiality of using my pentax glass on a camera that shoots raw video... beyond excited, in point of fact. who uses autofocus? not me. video people like manual focus. it's kinda a thing.

several months ago i was hopeful that someone at Pentax would release a video-capable mirrorless camera that met my hybrid requirements on the k-mount--or at very least meet me in the middle with something that keeps up with the Jones'... unfortunately instead i got myself an ambivalent stomachache... why won't they do it? if nikon can, why can't pentax?

none of this means i hate Pentax, nor does it mean that i will be using different glass for my work. all it means is that evidently i was the last one holding out--that even leica will be offering better video options in 2019. with Pentax, a clean HDMI out video option is out. the K-1 mark ii is not a viable option for me with it's uncertain bitrate...

if you don't think raw video is a big deal, maybe you should check out this video?

01-15-2019, 02:48 AM   #23
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

"It's just a dumb K-mount adapter... Sony something something... It's fine for manual focus / manual aperture lenses, but that's all. Nothing to see here..."
-bigmackcam (2019)

as i shoot documentary video when i am not sitting around on my chesterfield writing stuff, i am excited about the potentiality of using my pentax glass on a camera that shoots raw video... beyond excited, in point of fact. who uses autofocus? not me. video people like manual focus. it's kinda a thing.

several months ago i was hopeful that someone at Pentax would release a video-capable mirrorless camera that met my hybrid requirements on the k-mount--or at very least meet me in the middle with something that keeps up with the Jones'... unfortunately instead i got myself an ambivalent stomachache... why won't they do it? if nikon can, why can't pentax?

none of this means i hate Pentax, nor does it mean that i will be using different glass for my work. all it means is that evidently i was the last one holding out--that even leica will be offering better video options in 2019. with Pentax, a clean HDMI out video option is out. the K-1 mark ii is not a viable option for me with it's uncertain bitrate...

if you don't think raw video is a big deal, maybe you should check out this video? ProRes RAW Part 3: How to Edit and Grade ProRes RAW Footage - YouTube
My previous reply was based on the information in your post, which made no mention of video (certainly not raw video) or manual focus lenses. Now I have more context

It's certainly possible Pentax will come out with a mirrorless system at some point, but based on the collective experience of most in these forums, I think we'd probably agree it's not right around the corner and certainly not within the 6 months before your imminent switch to Nikon. It's not that Ricoh can't do it, but simply a case of funding, available resources and product strategy priorities.

My original suggestion is still relevant - to wit, there's justification for using multiple systems... in your case, one for stills, and one for (raw) video. Or, if the non-Pentax system meets your needs for everything and supports all the glass you want to use, there's nothing wrong with switching. The main reason I bought my A7 MkII was to support all of the manual M42, M39, L39, K and F mount vintage lenses that I collect and shoot. I could use a subset of those - M42 and K-mount specifically - on my Pentax DSLRs (and occasionally do), but a mirrorless camera with short registration distance and EVF focusing accuracy is a better option for me in this specific application. I don't own a single Sony FE mount lens

Last edited by BigMackCam; 01-15-2019 at 04:37 AM.
01-16-2019, 10:33 AM   #24
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
My previous reply was based on the information in your post, which made no mention of video (certainly not raw video) or manual focus lenses. Now I have more context

It's certainly possible Pentax will come out with a mirrorless system at some point, but based on the collective experience of most in these forums, I think we'd probably agree it's not right around the corner and certainly not within the 6 months before your imminent switch to Nikon. It's not that Ricoh can't do it, but simply a case of funding, available resources and product strategy priorities.

My original suggestion is still relevant - to wit, there's justification for using multiple systems... in your case, one for stills, and one for (raw) video. Or, if the non-Pentax system meets your needs for everything and supports all the glass you want to use, there's nothing wrong with switching. The main reason I bought my A7 MkII was to support all of the manual M42, M39, L39, K and F mount vintage lenses that I collect and shoot. I could use a subset of those - M42 and K-mount specifically - on my Pentax DSLRs (and occasionally do), but a mirrorless camera with short registration distance and EVF focusing accuracy is a better option for me in this specific application. I don't own a single Sony FE mount lens
when i decided to discard canon and the $9000 worth of canon proprietary equipment, on that day i promised myself one camera to be all cameras.

so far only the nikon z6 and the Panasonic s1 fit that bill, but i am optimistic for pentax to announce something at cp+... either way i will always keep one pentax digital camera around, even if i have to keep buying them at the end of life to justify their adapter-less deliciousness on my plate...

the sony a7iii is still mighty tempting, even more aftee yesterday's firmware announcement (intervalometer, better af performance); yet i am reluctant... don't know if 100mbps video is going to survive the raw video revolution...

if black magic can do it, pentax can too!! ��
01-18-2019, 07:56 AM   #25
Banned

???? / ????????????

K&F is releasing Pentax-K to Nikon-Z adapters... to those of us who prefer that vintage look this is good news!! also, the Pentax 20mm will probably continue to skyrocket in price as a result of canon flippy screen vlogger demand...
01-18-2019, 07:59 AM   #26
Banned

???? / ????????????

K&F is releasing Pentax-K to Nikon-Z adapters... to those of us who prefer that vintage look this is good news!! also, the Pentax 20mm will probably continue to skyrocket in price as a result of canon flippy screen vlogger demand...
https://www.mirrorlessrumors.com/k-f-concept-new-canon-eos-r-and-nikon-z-ada...ing-on-jan-22/ oops. wrong link. tried to edit the comment but it won't work on my phone.