Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-31-2018, 08:54 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Dan Rentea Quote
The upcoming EOS-M 32mm f1.4 lens suggest that the M mount will be supported. I'm not interested in a full frame mirrorless because I already have a wonderful 5D Mark IV, but I'm interested to see how the M5 Mark II will look like because I do need a small camera for vacation. The only problem I have with mirrorless in general is that I'm not comfortable with the electronic viewfinder. It gives me headaches.
I don't see any of these lenses being released with this cameras as being particularly small. Certainly an f2 zoom won't be, nor a 50mm f1.2. The 35 f1.8 is probably the only one that will be particularly small. If you are mounting a good size lens, then it probably doesn't matter a whole lot what the actual size of the camera body is.

---------- Post added 08-31-18 at 11:57 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
How much time do you spend looking through the viewfinder before you take a picture?
I struggle too. How much time you spend looking through the viewfinder depends on what you are doing. If it is a portrait session then you use it a lot, if you are taking snaps of your family then you probably click a couple of times and move on. But honestly, for me I start feeling eye strain pretty quickly and I just don't with OVFs.

I have found that there are plenty of other folks who have a similar malady.

08-31-2018, 11:04 AM   #17
Veteran Member

How much time do you spend looking through the viewfinder before you take a picture?
Depends... If I'm photographing a bird, I may end up looking through viewfinder 2-6 minutes, waiting for the bird to take off. Shooting portraits on streets also makes me look through viewfinder a lot. I don't have headaches only from electronic viewfinders. I manage (among other things) a VR cinema and I have headaches from VR headsets also.

---------- Post added 08-31-18 at 06:08 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I don't see any of these lenses being released with this cameras as being particularly small. Certainly an f2 zoom won't be, nor a 50mm f1.2. The 35 f1.8 is probably the only one that will be particularly small. If you are mounting a good size lens, then it probably doesn't matter a whole lot what the actual size of the camera body is.
Full frame mirrorless it's not about weight or small dimensions of the lenses. Sure, there will probably be available a few small and light primes, but I think that's about it. APS-C lenses on the other hand may be small and light compared to full frame mirrorless lenses. Let's just hope that manufacturers will release APS-C lenses for future mirrorless cameras.
08-31-2018, 01:02 PM   #18
Pentaxian

The Canon lens lineup is looking good.

We're at the dawn of a new camera era. Something tells me that Photkina & CP+ 2019 are going to give us a glimpse of what's to come for the future of photography.
08-31-2018, 06:03 PM   #19
JPT
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Photos from the same source.

A few more here: 【?】????「EOS R」???|?????????

---------- Post added 09-01-18 at 10:46 AM ----------

They are being a little creative with their mount adapters by having three different ones:
- Standard
- With drop in filter
- With extra control ring

It's a nice touch to use the dead space on the "snout" created when adapting lenses.

Last edited by JPT; 08-31-2018 at 07:01 PM.
08-31-2018, 07:07 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's an exciting time for FF MILC.
08-31-2018, 07:55 PM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Dan Rentea Quote
Depends... If I'm photographing a bird, I may end up looking through viewfinder 2-6 minutes, waiting for the bird to take off. Shooting portraits on streets also makes me look through viewfinder a lot. I don't have headaches only from electronic viewfinders. I manage (among other things) a VR cinema and I have headaches from VR headsets also.
I've never owned a camera with an EVF - the closest I come is my Q-7 with a Hoodman attached, and I've never had issues with that. There are also some who absolutely love Sony and report no issues - I have trouble believing they would be so enthusiastic about Sony, if love would make them that blind, if they did have issues with EVF .... so maybe this is just a case of people being different from each other.
08-31-2018, 11:41 PM   #22
Pentaxian

Canon EOS R FullFrame Mirrorless Camera Images and Full Specification « NEW CAMERA

09-01-2018, 01:00 AM   #23
Pentaxian

Basically this is the nail in Nikon's coffin.

As a small and shrinking player Nikon would have needed any USP to sell. They didn't. Down and out.

Now the industry leader comes and presents such a USP with a Zoom with 70mm F2 in relatively compact shape.

Sony is set for serious shrinking now and it is not unthinkable their management goes the Samsung route for their camera division.
09-01-2018, 01:18 AM   #24
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
Sony is set for serious shrinking now and it is not unthinkable their management goes the Samsung route for their camera division.
I don't know about that. All these camera's are targeted at high end. To step in you need 4 grand to have a bag full. This could also all come from sales that are now in fullframe dslr that are targeted at the hobby photographer. In that category there are lots of models. Basicly fullframe dslr maybe will move up to the categorie of $3000+ body only and not much below that.
09-01-2018, 01:19 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Looks that way. Nikon better start slashing manufacturer recommended prices on Z6/Z7 asap.
09-01-2018, 01:50 AM   #26
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
Photos from the same source.

35/1.8 is smaller than Nikon Z.

It seems to me EOS R is smarter move of Canon than Z6/Z7.

30 MP FF for 1900 USD and EV -6 AF....

Hmmm....EOS R +28-70/2 L USM is good set for travel....And 50/1.2 with AF...

Ah....dreams... I would buy if I have money...One camera and two lenses. It's enough for me.

Nikon will be in rather hard condition of competition... Sony will launch A7IIIs soon (this year) and new A7RIV next year...

Last edited by ogl; 09-01-2018 at 01:59 AM.
09-01-2018, 02:52 AM   #27
Veteran Member

I've never owned a camera with an EVF - the closest I come is my Q-7 with a Hoodman attached, and I've never had issues with that. There are also some who absolutely love Sony and report no issues - I have trouble believing they would be so enthusiastic about Sony, if love would make them that blind, if they did have issues with EVF .... so maybe this is just a case of people being different from each other.
The ones who doesn't have headaches (like I do) have lots of reasons to love EVF. I'm not against EVF, it's just that for me is not an option yet. The one from Sony a9 was the only one that was acceptable for my eyes more than a few minutes. Now that also Nikon released a mirrorless with an EVF that seems to be excelent, maybe there is a hope for guys like me.

---------- Post added 09-01-18 at 10:02 AM ----------

As a small and shrinking player Nikon would have needed any USP to sell. They didn't. Down and out.

Now the industry leader comes and presents such a USP with a Zoom with 70mm F2 in relatively compact shape.

Canon did a smart move by adding first mirrorless APSC in their portfolio. This way they tested some features, they tested the adaptor from M mount to EF mount, etc. And they are also smart in choosing the lenses for their first full frame mirrorless. It will be interesting if Canon will add eye af and IBIS in EOS-R. If they do that, the lack of dual slot card will be forgotten very soon. The 28-70mm f2 lens will also be tempting...

Last edited by Dan Rentea; 09-01-2018 at 03:04 AM.
09-01-2018, 04:23 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Mm, this is actually more attractive than Nikon Z bodies
09-02-2018, 02:50 AM   #29
Pentaxian

Probably not scaled entirely correct. I like the Nikon Body a bit better. Nikons adapter being larger cannot be helped because it needs a mechanical aperture actuator.

09-02-2018, 02:54 PM - 1 Like   #30
Veteran Member

The official specs have been leaked, and IMO this body is typical Canon intentionally crippled garbage:

No IBIS
No Eye-AF
8 FPS with no AF (5 FPS if you want AF)
1 SD card slot
No high framerate 1080p (limited to 720p? What year is this?)
By far the smallest EVF of all FF mirrorless at 0.71x (0.8x for Nikon Z, 0.78x for Sony)
"-6 EV AF" is clearly a marketing gimmick as they have to qualify that as with an f/1.2 lens instead of the industry standard f/2.8
Recycled low dynamic range Canon sensor

Pretty much worse than the Nikon Z bodies in every single way (AF performance remains to be seen). If they don't price this dirt cheap, this'll be an epic fail. But I'm sure people will still buy it on name alone.

Last edited by Cannikin; 09-02-2018 at 03:01 PM.