Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-02-2018, 06:44 PM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Cannikin Quote
The official specs have been leaked, and IMO this body is typical Canon intentionally crippled garbage:

No IBIS
No Eye-AF
8 FPS with no AF (5 FPS if you want AF)
1 SD card slot
No high framerate 1080p (limited to 720p? What year is this?)
By far the smallest EVF of all FF mirrorless at 0.71x (0.8x for Nikon Z, 0.78x for Sony)
"-6 EV AF" is clearly a marketing gimmick as they have to qualify that as with an f/1.2 lens instead of the industry standard f/2.8
Recycled low dynamic range Canon sensor

Pretty much worse than the Nikon Z bodies in every single way (AF performance remains to be seen). If they don't price this dirt cheap, this'll be an epic fail. But I'm sure people will still buy it on name alone.
Ouch, those specs are pretty terrible. Hard pass

09-02-2018, 08:33 PM - 1 Like   #32
Pentaxian

Canon is Canon , and they will sell ton of it because they have the red Canon strap. But who care , I am more than happy with my KP.
09-02-2018, 09:10 PM   #33
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Pretty much worse than the Nikon Z bodies in every single way
On a par i would say...put the Canon and Zeees together and you get a A7 2.75.

No Eye-AF
....they cant call it Eye-AF due to patent i'm led to believe...its got face following AF which chases the eye,its superior to Nikon.Dual pixel is quite good.Video AF was poor in 4K on M50 so wait and see with this one.

CaNik FF M/L the best advertising for $$$ony yet...lets set what Panasonic can do?
09-02-2018, 10:10 PM   #34
ogl
Banned

The official specs have been leaked, and IMO this body is typical Canon intentionally crippled garbage:

No IBIS
No Eye-AF
8 FPS with no AF (5 FPS if you want AF)
1 SD card slot
No high framerate 1080p (limited to 720p? What year is this?)
By far the smallest EVF of all FF mirrorless at 0.71x (0.8x for Nikon Z, 0.78x for Sony)
:
Lets wait official specs. What is IBIS and why you need Eye-AF?

MZ-6/MZ-7, for example, have 0.70x 92%...0.71x 100% is not a problem.

Pentax K-1 has 0.70x 100% )) Do you know it?

09-02-2018, 10:16 PM   #35
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
....they cant call it Eye-AF due to patent i'm led to believe...
It's sooo simple to verify this information. You just have to go to Canon website and search for M50 specs. You will see the Eye Af mentioned in the Af section.
09-02-2018, 10:20 PM   #36
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Dan Rentea Quote
You will see the Eye Af mentioned in the Af section.
Eye AF isnt mentioned in the Eos R specs sheet...maybe the one showing on YT is a fraud???
09-02-2018, 10:30 PM - 2 Likes   #37
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
Lets wait official specs. What is IBIS and why you need Eye-AF?

MZ-6/MZ-7, for example, have 0.70x 92%...0.71x 100% is not a problem.

Pentax K-1 has 0.70x 100% )) Do you know it?
IBIS is in body image stabilisation.

Eye af is needed if you want to be a cool 2018 photographer. Joking aside, eye af is nice implemented in A9. In A7 III is good, but not as good as in A9. Canon has eye af on M50 for example. They probably didn't included in this new full frame because they want to separate the entry level cameras to the Pro ones, as Canon usualy does. But dual pixel af with face tracking is very good and usualy the af point pick the eye.

The "problem" with the magnification is that it's not like Sonys. But people forgot that Canon doesn't have to follow Sony, Nikon, Fuji, etc. because in terms of sales and customer satisfaction it seems that they know the market.

An entry level with full articulating screen, dual pixel af, 30mp and 4k at 1900$ will be more than welcomed by Canon users.

09-02-2018, 10:35 PM   #38
Veteran Member

What is IBIS?
Is this a joke? You said it yourself in your first post in this thread. Half of the stuff you listed is wrong by the way. The official Canon spec sheet has been leaked: eos-r.pdf - Google Drive

28MP full frame sensor
Dual Pixel Auto Focus
IBIS (In Body Image Stabilisation)
10fps shooting
4k@30fps
1080p@60fps
Priced $1,900
09-02-2018, 10:49 PM   #39
Pentaxian

Eye AF isnt mentioned in the Eos R specs sheet...maybe the one showing on YT is a fraud???
Canon does do eye AF:

---------- Post added 03-09-18 at 08:14 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Dan Rentea Quote
But people forgot that Canon doesn't have to follow Sony, Nikon, Fuji, etc. because in terms of sales and customer satisfaction it seems that they know the market.
From the price and single SD cards from both Canon (EOS R) and Nikon (Z6) and f/4 lenses and battery life, it looks like mirrorless full frame enter the market where the highest volume is, most people will be looking at price around 2K or less and won't need dual SD slots, ultimately mirrorless full frame will be well poised to replace apsc DSLRs. We are getting back to 24x36 as the mainstream camera format.
09-02-2018, 11:16 PM   #40
Pentaxian

On Canon UK is mentioned. If it were a patent thing, Canon wouldn't use the term in their websites.

Specifications & Features - Canon EOS M50 - Canon UK
09-02-2018, 11:22 PM   #41
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Canon does do eye AF:
And it'll focus on an eye thats closed!...maybe thats unEye AF(at the end of the video)

The M50 was exciting when announced but the 4K video focusing let it down.I wonder if firmware has improved it.The 1080 used dual pixel AF which is very good.A few called this the best Vlogging camera(but not Tony Northrup).

---------- Post added 09-03-18 at 05:26 PM ----------

Canon wouldn't use the term in their websites.

Yes,it was a comment i read somewhere...its good that you and Biz follow Canon so closely.I only buy Lenses for my daughter as gifts so dont research the bodies too much.

---------- Post added 09-03-18 at 05:28 PM ----------

Half of the stuff you listed is wrong by the way.
There were guesses being put up, i saw those exact specs Ogl posted.Anyway its leaked but theres still a bit to find out.
09-02-2018, 11:38 PM   #42
ogl
Banned

Is this a joke? You said it yourself in your first post in this thread. Half of the stuff you listed is wrong by the way. The official Canon spec sheet has been leaked: eos-r.pdf - Google Drive
Good specs. Not bad battery. Good buffer.
09-02-2018, 11:46 PM - 1 Like   #43
Pentaxian

Yes,it was a comment i read somewhere...its good that you and Biz follow Canon so closely.I only buy Lenses for my daughter as gifts so dont research the bodies too much.
I like being informed and I love playing with all cameras that I can get my hands on, no matter the brand. So far, the only one that I can't play with is Pentax KP. No one that I know owns one and it can't be found anywhere for rent.
09-02-2018, 11:53 PM   #44
Pentaxian

Good specs. Not bad battery. Good buffer.
yeah, it's overall pretty well spec'd as general purpose camera system, well positioned to replace the 5D series, other product lines (7DII, 1DxII) being untouched.
09-03-2018, 12:59 AM - 1 Like   #45
Pentaxian

Chances are the new Canon MILC will be bought in satisfying quantities by folks who have never heard of photography enthusiasts. It will do a good job of covering the core things people want - well thought out, well made and a Canon. Nearly all users - apart from a small number of photography enthusiasts - will be delighted by its image quality.

This will be much easier to take with you than a DSLR. I live in a tourist town. In a year I expect to see plenty in the hands of wealthy middle-class tourists from the Far East. We host countless thousands here. Canon understand their market better than any other company. It probably won’t be a great product for you or I but we are not the intended audience for this model. Come back in two or three years and more sophisticated models may suggest we are.

Last edited by mecrox; 09-03-2018 at 01:39 AM.