Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 22 Likes Search this Thread
09-03-2018, 01:40 AM - 2 Likes   #46
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mecrox Quote
Chances are the new Canon MILC will be bought in satisfying quantities by folks who have never heard of photography enthusiasts. It will do a good job of covering the core things people want - well thought out, well made and a Canon. Nearly all users - apart from a small number of photography enthusiasts - will be delighted by its image quality.
What good is to have the best image quality (or among the best) as K1 has if there are things that makes Pro photographers to avoid investing in the system? Look at Kenspo as the most recent example. What good the K1 image quality did for him as long as the buffer didn't allowed him to take pictures in certain important situations? He chosed the best compromise for him in order to get the shots that he needs to take as a pro. People these days are more interested in camera specs rather than taking an overall look at the systems and what a certain system can do or can't do for them.

I see this Canon mirrorless camera as a nice back-up for 5D Mark IV or 1Dx Mark II. It has a good resolution, the articulated screen, USB charging, dual pixel af, af points sensitive down to -6 EV, electronic shutter for the times when you need to be as quite as posible, etc. Who cares if it will not have the image quality of a D850, A7R III or K1 as long as it nails it in areas which photographers need/want?

09-03-2018, 02:33 AM   #47
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Dan Rentea Quote
But dual pixel af with face tracking is very good and usualy the af point pick the eye.
I have noticed this with Nikon when set to face detect that it will focus on the nearest eye to the camera, one can also confirm this by looking at the AF point the camera has selected within the highlighted box of the face
While Nikon says nothing about eye detect its uncanny how the AF point the camera has selected falls over the eye of the person you are photographing
09-03-2018, 02:37 AM   #48
Veteran Member

Who cares if it will not have the image quality of a D850, A7R III or K1 as long as it nails it in areas which photographers need/want?
Yes, that is very much Canon's secret sauce which keeps them at #1. Some other cameras may excel here and there but overall Canon's performance long passed all the "good enough" bars including IQ to give a well-rounded (and spectacularly well-supported) product for most users. From the sound of it, this new MILC is aiming at the big middle of the market where there is appeal both to general users and as a back-up or travel/fun item for more demanding folks. I am sure that in time the new R family will expand to include more capable models and simpler, cut-down ones (6D or simpler level) for the lower end. It's just a start.

I'm not in the market. If I was, I would probably buy a Nikon Z series just because I have more of a thing for Nikon. I don't actually need many bells and whistles so am not fussed by alleged missing features. But in a year there might be an Olympus FF out there, which could be very tempting.
09-03-2018, 03:30 AM   #49
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Honestly, If I have free money, I'd buy EOS R + 28-70/2 as everyday and travel set.

09-03-2018, 04:27 AM   #50
Pentaxian

I like being informed and I love playing with all cameras that I can get my hands on, no matter the brand. So far, the only one that I can't play with is Pentax KP. No one that I know owns one and it can't be found anywhere for rent.
I don't rent cameras, and I don't worry about what toys my friends have. My decision to purchase has never depended on things like that. My next camera will be a KP.
09-03-2018, 05:12 AM   #51
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
Honestly, If I have free money, I'd buy EOS R + 28-70/2 as everyday and travel set.
Really? That lens is huge. I'd far rather have a 24-70 f4 on full frame for travel purposes, but I guess each to his own.

The specs on this camera look fine as does the price. We have gotten into a weird position where we attack cameras for only having 8 fps frame rate or 1 card slot. Certainly this isn't ground breaking, but street price will end up being somewhere in the 1600 to 1700 dollar price range and Canon will sell a bunch of them at that price.
09-03-2018, 06:02 AM   #52
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Really? That lens is huge. I'd far rather have a 24-70 f4 on full frame for travel purposes, but I guess each to his own..
is there info about dimension?

09-03-2018, 06:17 AM - 3 Likes   #53
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
is there info about dimension?
It is supposed to weigh 3.15 pounds and take a 95mm filter.
09-03-2018, 06:58 AM   #54
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I don't rent cameras, and I don't worry about what toys my friends have.
Huh? Who is worried about what toys my friends have?

My next camera will be a KP.
Good for you. Enjoy your camera.
09-03-2018, 07:43 AM   #55
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

For me size/weight would be the most important thing.

Let's make the following irregular comparison ...

Pentax KP (APS-C): 131.5 mm x 101.0 mm x 76 mm, 703g
Canon EOS R (FF): 135.8 x 98.3 x 84.4 mm, 660g

In January 2018 I wrote this thread ... KP-like mirrorless solution

I thought of an APS-C solution because I was looking for a more lightweight travel camera than K-1 is and the K-5 doesn't support the electro-magnetic DA55-300PLM aperture control mechanism.

Subsequently I checked different Cameras with EVF (Olympus, Sony, Canon) in a shop. I really didn't like these EVFs. The image while panning was a pain for me. Further research showed that the KP with the lenses I'd like to take with me wouldn't be much worse in weight and size as other solutions (MFT, APS-C), so I bought the Pentax KP in May 2018.

Concerning size the KP is what I really like to use while travelling. I wouldn't like to go much smaller because ergonomy would suffer.

So if I'd get accustomed with EVFs, a similar camera like the Canon from Pentax as a FF camera based on a KP-similar design (with FF and APS-C mode) would be a great move. Would this be sufficient. I guess no. They then should IMO put PLM motors into the APS-C and FF Limiteds to get a modern lightweight APS-C and FF line. And they should put an adaptor into the package similar Canon's “Drop – in filter mount adapter EF – EOS R”" and other specs like USB charging etc. - both great steps IMO.
09-04-2018, 03:43 PM   #56
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by filoxophy Quote
As much time as he needs to. If EVFs don’t work for him, why worry about it?
Because there might be an enormous difference between staring through a viewfinder for 30 minutes and looking through it for one minute as I do - I was trying to determine what factors might cause him to have more trouble with EVF.
09-04-2018, 03:46 PM   #57
Pentaxian

Huh? Who is worried about what toys my friends have?
You said none of your friends has a KP.
I don't know anyone else who has a Pentax camera, but I purchased my Q-7 and K-30 anyway.
09-04-2018, 04:13 PM   #58
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
It is supposed to weigh 3.15 pounds and take a 95mm filter.
A 15-400 f/1.8 sounds excellent online, until you see what it is like in real life to carry something like that around.
09-04-2018, 05:17 PM   #59
Pentaxian

When does the official announcement occur?
09-04-2018, 08:50 PM   #60
Pentaxian

Anyones guess???

Ive searched a few times trying to find the Live Stream and i get nothing.

I watched the Nikon one, so i thought it fair to watch Canon too.The lens availability might be quite good but i dont know yet.

There will be a YTube come along for sure,but for now its not well publicised?

---------- Post added 09-05-18 at 02:51 PM ----------

the official announcement
..................................................................................................